Show Secretary Help

capanash

Hi,

Just wondering if there are any Victorian show secretaries out there that I can give a call and pick their brains about how I should be organising myself. Especially if they have done a large breed club show.

I put my hand up to show sec for the 1st time at our poodle national. I have an awesome spread sheet for all the entries and money side of things... just want to know how to do the paperwork side of things. Is there a 'how to' guide out there???

regards Caroline

Give me a ring and or your address I can send you a copy of the Sec's guide our previous sec did for our committee.

Also there is a Sec guide on the VCA website I think. I know haw you feel, I got the first entries today for our Specialty in March. Would love to see your spreadsheet.

Silly me 52672258

Edited by puglvr

Guest CaptainCourageous

Some ideas:

- deal with the envelopes as soon as you get them (i.e. daily)

- check the validity of the entries, eg Age/Class, Price/Cheque Value, is there a SSAE?, not so much "is this a completely correctly filled in entry form?" but "have I enough info to accept this entry?"

- have a pathway to cope with entries with insufficient info. You want things sorted out before the big day and you don't want a phone bill. I found DoL/facebook/email/phone in that order was good, in the days when facebook let you stick in an email address to find someone.

- have a receipting method. (See your NSDCV receipt for an example).

- Are you cataloguing? Daily attention still holds.

- Bank cheques early and often.

- Appoint a great Show Manager to organise your stewards and ticket writers. (How many rings do you have?).

- Get a good rep.

- Establish which Committee members & general members will be there to help.

- Work out a "who does what when" list.

- Have raisin bread toast there at the start of each day.

- Work out how you will take the RULES with you (lap top or hard copy?)

- Have the Aggressive Dog paperwork with you

- Realise that 30 minutes before the start to fifteen minutes after won't be an easy time for you

- Get things done earlier

- Write & use check lists

- Don't forget the place markers and hand wipes

- take a blank contract with you

Ask away if you have any more questions.

CC

ps When & where is it?

Some ideas:

- deal with the envelopes as soon as you get them (i.e. daily)

- check the validity of the entries, eg Age/Class, Price/Cheque Value, is there a SSAE?, not so much "is this a completely correctly filled in entry form?" but "have I enough info to accept this entry?"

- have a pathway to cope with entries with insufficient info. You want things sorted out before the big day and you don't want a phone bill. I found DoL/facebook/email/phone in that order was good, in the days when facebook let you stick in an email address to find someone.

- have a receipting method. (See your NSDCV receipt for an example).

- Are you cataloguing? Daily attention still holds.

- Bank cheques early and often.

- Appoint a great Show Manager to organise your stewards and ticket writers. (How many rings do you have?).

- Get a good rep.

- Establish which Committee members & general members will be there to help.

- Work out a "who does what when" list.

- Have raisin bread toast there at the start of each day.

- Work out how you will take the RULES with you (lap top or hard copy?)

- Have the Aggressive Dog paperwork with you

- Realise that 30 minutes before the start to fifteen minutes after won't be an easy time for you

- Get things done earlier

- Write & use check lists

- Don't forget the place markers and hand wipes

- take a blank contract with you

:thumbsup:

Thankyou for your assistance. A friend emailed me with what I need to know :thumbsup: Silly me could have asked at the show but forgot how experienced my friend was at being a show sec.

March 12/13th 2011 :thumbsup:

I'm just doing the entry taking and typing up all the info... then passing it on to our cateloguer.

Puglvr... happy to send you what I have created. May not make sense with some of my crazy formulas (FINALLY all my highschool Excel lessons are usueful!!!)... will also be making it work out the VCA levies once I figure it out. I'll give you a call 2moz for a chat... always great to hear how people do these crazy 'jobs'

On another note... Thankyou to all the show secs out there... I now appreciate how much work goes into the role!!!