Thanks Everyone For Advice On Taking Photos Of Dogs With Black Masks..

Staranais

LOL, Huga - the set up was an old hunters hut we just happened to tramp to the other day! Not sure if it's worth a couple of hours to walk back there, but it did turn out to be a cool background for a candid dog shot. ;)

165758_484685722897_536177897_6250558_1004430_n.jpg

Persephone, trying to focus on the eyes sounds like great advice, thanks - I'm not sure how to go about it yet though, it's autofocus & perhaps I haven't quite got the hang of the settings yet - I just pointed it towards her face & hoped!

Persephone, trying to focus on the eyes sounds like great advice, thanks - I'm not sure how to go about it yet though, it's autofocus & perhaps I haven't quite got the hang of the settings yet - I just pointed it towards her face & hoped!

IMHO focus is the #1 priority in 90+% of images. You can have the most beautiful exposure & scene & subject, but if the focus has missed the image isn't worth keeping the majority of the time. (Yes, there are exceptions, but they are exceptions ;) )

What camera do you have again?

Every camera I've used has a little light up rectangle in the viewfinder. That is where your focus point is. You need to place that on the area you want to focus on - everything outside of this box, the camera pretty much ignores. If possible, try to place that little box over something with contrast as it will help the camera hit the sweet spot faster and more accurately.

On many cameras, half press to get focus (or use your * key on the back of Canon dslrs, if you've set it up that way) and then smoothly press the shutter fully to take the shot.

Take more than one frame! Especially if you have

- mediocre or poor lighting conditions

- moving subject

- wide open aperture

- concerns that you might miss focus ;)

Have fun! You're doing great!

PS - don't forget that virtually every image out of the camera (especially if you shoot RAW) will need to be sharpened to look it's best. If you are shooting jpeg, your camera may apply (ok, WILL apply) some sharpening that may or may not be to your taste/adequate. You just need to experiment a bit to see what works for you.

original:

dogcouchorig.jpg

two second sharpen:

dogcouch.jpg

Edited by kja

Thanks Kja!

I have a canon powershot a470. Fairly budget unfortunately!

I'll try to stick the little box over the part I want to shoot, with high contrast - thanks for the tip! I think possibly this camera tries to find a face to focus on? Not sure if it can recognise a dog face or not, perhaps that is the issue.

I loved what you did with the sharpening - how did you do that? And what does shooting RAW mean? I only know about feeding raw! ;)

Thanks Kja!

I have a canon powershot a470. Fairly budget unfortunately!

I'll try to stick the little box over the part I want to shoot, with high contrast - thanks for the tip! I think possibly this camera tries to find a face to focus on? Not sure if it can recognise a dog face or not, perhaps that is the issue.

I loved what you did with the sharpening - how did you do that? And what does shooting RAW mean? I only know about feeding raw! :heart:

OK, the A470 doesn't shoot RAW so ignore that part for now and just concentrate on what you have. Those little Canon Powershots totally rock - I have two plus one of the SD/Ixus Canons :cheer:

You may need to read the manual to see if you can control where the little box is and when you are shooting, you need to make sure that the little box is actually where you want it to be. With my little Canon SD1200 IS I can't move the little box - it is just in the middle. So I put the box on my subject, half press the shutter and then move the camera to recompose (keep the subject in the same focal plane for best results - there is a bit of leeway with these these compact cameras so you don't have to be perfect) and fully press the shutter to take the photo.

There are many ways to sharpen - what software are you using on your computer? Lightroom? Photoshop Elements? Photoshop? Picasa? GIMP?

Thanks Kja!

Turns out I can make the focus box either just be in the middle or find faces and focus on those - I'm thinking that perhaps it can't identify dog faces very well, perhaps it is really only designed for people faces, so I should use the other setting?

I've only got Adobe Photoshop Elements (an older version too). Can't believe there's really a program called GIMP! :laugh: