He Will Be Better Off

HugUrPup

For months and months now my DH has been asking me to re-home Ollie. I haven't been able to bring myself to doing it because I feel like a failure to be honest.

I have tried house training him, used belly bands, sprayed him with water, stood outside for hours on end with him on a lead on the grass, used dog repellant etc etc but he is simply un house trainable.. well no.. I suck at training him :D

My son and I have been getting allergies during this high allergy season and we got tested and we are allergic to his saliva, which is fine, until his sneezes on us, which being a pug, he does every time we pat him. My son is ok, he just doesn't pat him, but I can't resist that face and when he is near me, my hand as a mind of it's own and starts patting him and then my face somehow ends up near his and then sneeze :D

Then there's the shedding issue. My house and yard has fur everywhere. The yard is worse because I can't exactly vacuum outside then any wind sends it blowing everywhere. I think that is what is bothering DH the most. I Furminate him, have tried vacuuming him (useless) professional grooming, sardines in his food, fish oil and regular brushing, but his fur just keepis coming out. I have considered having him clipped but I have been adviced against it.

So the final decision has been made, with the help of ~Annes~ common sense. As she said, pugs are happy where ever they go as long as they have food. I am sure he will be well looked after. He would probably be happier elsewhere anyway because I suck ;)

Anyway, puggy puggy is organizing for him to go to Foster care on Wednesday. I have 4 more days left with my little buddy.

I'd really appreciate if people would just tell me I have done the right thing. Talking me out of it will just have me keep him here for another few months and then I will be back to square one.

I was going to send him back to the breeder but decided Pug rescue would find him a better suited home.

Just some support and hugs would be appreciated. :)

Sorry to hear to has come to this. It sounds like you have tried everything you can, but sometimes it just doesn't work out the way we want. He will get a good home, your household will be happier & not sick...I know you will miss him, but it honestly doesn't sound like you have any choice. It doesn't mean you are a failure, it just means he is not the right dog for your family...nobody's fault. Doesn't make it any easier on you, I'm sure.

i believe in many cases, rehoming is the most honest and the fairest thing to do :) I am sure Ollie will be placed somewhere he is suited ... and , although you will miss him ,and feel guilty- you will know that he is happy, and that all the work you have done with him has not been wasted .

:D for you....

I was going to send him back to the breeder but decided Pug rescue would find him a better suited home.

have you at least let the breeder know? By all means if he is making your life and your son's life a misery, through no ones fault, rehome him but I think the breeder should be in the loop.

have you at least let the breeder know? By all means if he is making your life and your son's life a misery, through no ones fault, rehome him but I think the breeder should be in the loop.

Yes I phoned them first to let them know.

I think sometimes we need to be honest and admit that a dog may be better off elsewhere. Often it is no-one's fault. Dogs don't hold onto attachments like we do, and if the next place they go offers them more attention, more walks, more fun - for whatever reason - then they are better off. As long as rehoming is done with the dog's interests at heart, and all precautions are in place to make sure the next home is a good one, then it can be a win-win situation.

Good luck to Ollie in his new home.. :D

Couldn't agree more TA - you've summed it up very well and puggerup yes you have made the right decision - and whats more have taken responsibility for his well-being as well as your own.

Cold comfort I know - but I recently rehomed a 3.5 year old westie, whose devastated owner finally made the decision she had known was coming for some time - that (although for different reasons to yours) she needed to rehome her beloved dog. She kept the dog and got used to the decision while I found this westie girl the perfect home - and all has gone extremely well. Its been three months since the trial began, and she has settled in very well with another rescue westie - her new family says 'its like she has always been here'. I spoke with her former owner tonight who although she still misses her (and knows that will pass with time), knows she did the right thing, hard as it was.

So big hugs, take your time to decide - and whatever you decide - stick with it.

I think sometimes we need to be honest and admit that a dog may be better off elsewhere. Often it is no-one's fault. Dogs don't hold onto attachments like we do, and if the next place they go offers them more attention, more walks, more fun - for whatever reason - then they are better off. As long as rehoming is done with the dog's interests at heart, and all precautions are in place to make sure the next home is a good one, then it can be a win-win situation.

Good luck to Ollie in his new home.. :D

Edited by westiemum

It sounds as if you have done the right thing. However, I do think it would be better for him to go direct to a new home. On the other hand, if he has some training issues, maybe it would be better for rescue to assess them, rather than have him fail at more homes.

Dog ownership is about pleasure, and if it doesn't give you that, you need to sort it out. Hard thing to do,but for the best

Puggerup you are facing one of those things that all pet owners fear. You have to do what is right by yourself, your son and Ollie, however hard that is on you. That is what unconditional love is all about. I am sure that Ollie will go to a new forever home where he will be adored for all his little quirks. Dogs are very adaptable.

Big hugs to you for making this very hard decision. Be sad for the loss but don't regret your decision. It seems to be the right one and you haven't made it lightly.

Alyson

xxx

Thanks for everyones support ♥

Jed- I am hoping his foster home is able to "fix" his bad habits before finding him a forever home.. or at least find a home who doesn't mind a dog who will poo and pee all over their house. Also, I hope they find a family who knows the breed so they don't get any "nasty" surprises and he is left looking for another place again.

As someone who recently went through rehoming 2 of my dogs due to moving overseas, I know how you feel :) It sounds like you've done all you can, and with your sons allergies to think about as well, you have come to the right decision. My two went off to their new homes and never looked back - they got as much love, comfort, exercise and food as with us and settled very quickly. We are probably a distant memory to them now.

Big hugs to you, it's so hard knowing you have just a few more days :D Make sure you have one really nice last walk with him as a memory to cherish :D

Oh and BTW, a friend of mine adopted a Cavalier who apparently had some continence problems - and funnily enough the problem resolved almost immediately in the new home - we're not sure why - different environment, different expectations :D Who knows - but it all worked out well...

Hugs to you, puggerup, you have gone the extra mile for him and that's all a dog can ask for (theoretically). He may indeed find happiness in a new home but at least he has known happiness with you. Use the time you have left together to make some more memories. As the owner of a particularly aggressive dog, I know I would have almost non options if it came to rehoming him. :crossfingers: You at least have others!

I too think you are doing the right thing. Yes it is hard, but just keep reminding yourself you have done all you possibly can, and Ollie will be in a better place. No I don't think you are a failure, I just think some dogs for what ever reason aren't suited to some people or houses, but have no problems at all in others....its not that you failed at all.

Give your self a hug for doing the best and kindest thing you can for Ollie.

Good Luck

BF

Hugs to you puggerup. As much as I enjoy being on dol, sometimes it is easy to lose perspective. All of us on here feel passionately about dog issues and many people get upset when they hear stories of people 'dumping' their dogs. This I think can lead to people forgetting that there are times and situations where rehoming is the best option for both the dog and the person :laugh: And it certainly sounds like this is the case for you. Of course it is hard, but you know you are doing the best thing for Ollie so just keep that in mind and stay strong :rofl: All credit to you for making such a tough decision.

BigDaz :crossfingers:

i think you might feel a lot better if you ask can you have the option of being able to visit?

i know a friend had to rehome a very much loved horse and she was beside herself with grief, we made that suggestion and the KNOWING she can visit her has made such a difference to her.

she actually has never gone to her home yet, but did go to a show she was attending and has heaps of photos and is thrilled to see how happy her baby is with her new owner. has really relieved her worries.