The Average Age Of A Dog In Aust Is Only 3.5yrs?

Beaglelover:)

Frankly, what is to be gained by taking an average age.

Just picking at random three of my dogs:

Calypso died at 3.5 from congentital heart failure

Nammu died at 8 years from cancer

Mufti is still alive at 15.5 years.

Taking an average of their ages is a waste time and tells us nothing. Just realised: all are/were Maltese

I guess it is the 'shock value'. Putting an average number to the story has a lot more impact than just saying Aust dogs die too young. I just want to make sure it has truth in it.

I just added in my above post, that I confirmed with Kersti Seksel that she is indeed referring to the average lifespan of the Aust dog.

Very poor wording then, I'd expect more care from a supposedly reputable source. I can tell you the average age of dogs in this house. It means nothing in terms of their lifespan.

As for the RSPCA telling you the average age of dogs pts, at best they could only tell you for the surrenders. For the unchipped/reg'd strays, they can only guess.

I am sure the RSPCA would have a rough record of the age of dogs that go through their doors.

I am sure out of the 250,000 dogs and cats that get put down in Aust each year, most would be under 4 years old. Even if I could find stats on this, I would be happy to use this instead.

Edited by Beaglelover:)