Help, I'm Confused - Which Pet Insurance?

Lollipup

I've read some other threads and I've read the PDS's. I had just joined Petplan but not sure if its the best way to go as the other two seem a bit better value. I understand they are both the same company too. Have you picked one of these three and why did you pick them? Is there anything I may be missing that could make one better than the other? My vet pushes petplan which is why i went with them in the first instance and they (at my vet's clinic) say they are the only pet insurer that doesn't carry over previous injuries claimed for as exclusions in the next years policy? Any tips would be great thanks.

Edited by Lollipup

I'm with Medibank but my reason isn't too helpful...I went with them coz I have my own insurance with them and they seemed to cover what was needed. I haven't made a claim yet but took Sax for vaccs the other day which apparently I can claim, so we'll see how that goes :love:

I went with Medibank private and like saxon pup have never made a claim in the near two years I have had it. I found them to be the best value when insuring three dogs and great discounts for multiple dogs. Costs me about $20 per month per dog.

My vet pushes petplan which is why i went with them in the first instance and they (at my vet's clinic) say they are the only pet insurer that doesn't carry over previous injuries claimed for as exclusions in the next years policy? Any tips would be great thanks.

This is the reason why I went with PetPlan. If your pet has a long term illness this can be a lifesaver!

When my boy was sick and I was putting in the claim form, the vet nurse commented that some of the other companies, although cheap, are really tight when it comes to paying up.

My vet pushes petplan which is why i went with them in the first instance and they (at my vet's clinic) say they are the only pet insurer that doesn't carry over previous injuries claimed for as exclusions in the next years policy? Any tips would be great thanks.

This is the reason why I went with PetPlan. If your pet has a long term illness this can be a lifesaver!

When my boy was sick and I was putting in the claim form, the vet nurse commented that some of the other companies, although cheap, are really tight when it comes to paying up.

My boy has an exclusion because he has an elbow problem so both elbows are excluded for the life of any policy as the problem started just before I got the policy.

I'm with PIA for my 2 as well - have claimed twice - i for over $1500 - had some problems crop up with the direct debit but got that sorted ok.

I left Petplan because when I got the Bloodhound they stated he was on their restricted breed list - which reduces cover after 8 years of age - I had checked their product disclosure for this info and Bloodhounds were not listed

Edited by KelpieHoundMum

I'm with PIA for my 2 as well - have claimed twice - i for over $1500 - had some problems crop up with the direct debit but got that sorted ok.

Will these conditions be excluded from your policy next year?

I will double check but as far as I'm aware it shouldn't make a difference. There is nothing in the PDS or in any of my policy info to suggest that would happen.

Pre-existing conditions ie, those that existed/had occurred before I took out the cover cannot be claimed though.

I will double check but as far as I'm aware it shouldn't make a difference. There is nothing in the PDS or in any of my policy info to suggest that would happen.

Pre-existing conditions ie, those that existed/had occurred before I took out the cover cannot be claimed though.

This is what I'm wondering about too. I know pre-existing won't be covered at all. But if something else is claimed for will it be covered the following year in the renewed policy?

It wasn't a 'condition' as such - the bl**dy dog ate a river stone - and 4 days later we suspected he ate a glass candle holder :rofl:

At a quick glance I can only see pre existing conditions being excluded

Edited by KelpieHoundMum

There are so many difference policies and plans now its hard to go through all of the fine print and pro's and cons. I dont have any pet insurance myself however friends are with Petplan and they have had success claiming full money paid for chiropractic treatments on their dogs which has been a plus in their extras....depends what you think you will need I guess but if we knew that we wouldnt need insurance because we'd be doing things to avoid the problems!!

I went with Medicare. Good value, and I figured since they did people too, they would care about keeping everyone happy.

We went with the accident, illness and routine care option, which also includes paying upto $70 annually for things like obedience and council registration. It also then covers $30 for vaccinations annually, and $45 for worm control. Considering its costing us a little over $1 a day, i look at it as tho we get roughly 3 months back throughout the year.

Good luck with your decision, hopefully we will never need to use it! My family (my household, parents, etc.) will never be without pet insurance. Would just be too heartbreaking to make that choice. Only had our pup a few weeks, but he is definately a major part of our home.

Edited by MissCheevius

I took out PIA major medical cover on a cat last year- while he is young enough- paid annual amount- the $500 excess

Premium seemed cheap- doubled checked before recommending it recently to dog owning friends- the premium doubled a month after I took it out-(I rang them to double check) from $162 to over $320 per year.

I only want it for the big stuff- I have spent a small fortune on one pet- and my brothers dog has recently been diagnosed with lymphoma- treatments not cheap.

I'm not happy about the premium increasing so much- but still think PIA (like medibank- through Petsure and underwritten by Hollards) seemed a good option after doing research and reading PDS and posts here for a year.

My first claims from PIA have come back fairly quickly. One hiccup that was sort of due to me trying to be too efficient but didn't think how it would look to the insurance when I submitted it. Sent a stat dec and all was fine BUT I called them to make sure the claim was going through and found out about it that way...a letter came the same day.

Just got my renewal and it's gone up $4 a month. Apparently they have adjusted all policies to try to make it a fairer system.

I doubt I will ever be a medibank human insurance customer as they are too exy even with the multi-policy discount so will leave things how they are for this year.