Dog Friendly Picnic Area/ Walking Track

Cosmolo

Would like suggestions for a forest-y type reserve/ park/ walking track with a picnic area in the south east of Melbourne. Doesn't have to be an off lead area if it has some interesting on lead walks to explore. Recommendations welcome!

• 1 month later...

Are you still looking?

Not foresty, but my dogs love the Botanical Gardens. There are loads of different little paths for them to explore and it is an interesting walk for the humans too. It is very peaceful early in the morning. It is all on-leash.

Wattle Park (neare Box Hill South) is also great, but it is a State Park so on-lead is essential (there are endangered frogs). There is a very nice picnic area with old trams for dogs/kids to explore. Being a State Park, there are no bins so you have to take your trash with you.

There are also one or two places near the Dandenongs. I'll look them up at home tonight (a friend wrote a great book about bushwalking in Melbourne with kids, but I use it for the dogs!).

towards burwood, near i think it's deakin uni there is the gardiners creek walking track (well it goes from toorak rd/monash intersection and just continues along gardiners). there is some nice bushy bits, some water that isn't too fast flowing like the resk of the channel and nice some spots around there, especially in gardiners reserve...

so that was pretty non-helpful of me huh?

ok, asked a family member - we think the reserve is closer to high street road (stupidest street name ever) than deakin/burwood hwy.

Gardiners Ck reserve behind Deakin Uni in Box Hill South is a great place. There is a 3km walking track around the reserve and it is very picturesque. There is bush and also the creek which runs through the middle. Lots of places for a picnic and the whole area is off lead.

If you go on the weekend it is busier but during the week, you might come across another dog or two but thats about it.

We go there most days and my boy is always in the creek.

Edited by jesomil

Guest Labradork
Would like suggestions for a forest-y type reserve/ park/ walking track with a picnic area in the south east of Melbourne. Doesn't have to be an off lead area if it has some interesting on lead walks to explore. Recommendations welcome!

Ruffey Lake Park is really worth the drive - trust me.

Lovely long walking track (complete with water taps along the way), gorgeous vegetation, plenty of offlead areas for the dog/s, and a great big lake for them to swim in.

There is also a large playground for the kids, plus a stack of newish public barbeques (free to use) if you feel inclined to bring some snags down!

Lovely long walking track (complete with water taps along the way), gorgeous vegetation, plenty of offlead areas for the dog/s, and a great big lake for them to swim in.

There is also a large playground for the kids, plus a stack of newish public barbeques (free to use) if you feel inclined to bring some snags down!

Do you know what it is like on a weekday at 6.30am? My girl doesn't like other dogs. I keep her on lead but I don't want to run into uncontrolled dogs.

Karanook Park I think it is, near Moorabbin Bunnings isn't bad.. but it's not really foresty.

Dandenong Creek Trail is great and has some bushy areas and some open rural areas. It is all dogs on lead though. If you go from Shepherds Bush/Nortons Park end off High Street Road Wantirna and continue south 3-4km it will take you through Jells Park which has picnic/bbq areas and shelters.

Or a great walk which is not so long is around Jells Park itself. :(

Sorry Megan, you read my mind!

Edited by kasoo

I second this- we drive 40 mins to visit this park, its awesome :(