Beagle Puppy Fear Stage?

BonJosie

Hi all

I have an 11 week old beagle puppy, who has been with us since eight weeks and she seems a little more anxious and whingey than usual.

By whingey and anxious I mean she's whining and trotting around sniffing a lot when she's not hungry, doesn't need to go to the toilet and doesn't seem interested in playing. She is also less engaged in play than she has been (ie she will lose interest very quickly or will forgo biting the toy we are holding in favour of our clothing).

I had suspected she may be going through a fear stage and I wonder if this behaviour could be a sign of that (she has also been jumpier than usual, though not excessively fearful)?

Thanks all

Josie

I'd say normal puppy development ... things are not as interesting as they were when she was a new addition to the home she could be just needing more different things to do and take playing up a notch

As for the trotting around and sniffing she is a beagle and is using her nose to search. Maybe invest in a couple of Nina Ottoson toys and do some scentwork with her such as hiding food around, in boxes, under cups she has to tip etc

Also remember the weather in Perth has been extremely hot & enough to knock any animal around.

Are you reading a book that you have decided it is a fear stage??

Maybe your routine is too structured & you need to adapt to her needs

Thanks guys. I wasn't reading anything in particular, I've just seen quite a lot around about the fear stages. Some of the material makes it sound pretty dramatic so I admit, I could be a little bit paranoid about scarring her for life if I'm not conscious of it!

I think you both might be right. That combination of boredom and hot weather.

Nekhbet, those toys look amazing! I am a little concerned they would be too advanced for her though? She has a Kong she is entirely uninterested in unless all the food falls out within five seconds!

It is funny. I read so much when we were preparing to bring a puppy into our home, about training them to rest at night, to be comfortable on their own, to love their crates, to go to the toilet outside, to sit, stay, drop, stop biting etc. Nowhere did I read about how to teach your puppy to play with you. I guess I should have known (she had only played with other puppies previously), but it seems harder to teach than any of the other stuff!

no such thing as too advanced. Puppies have fabulously inquisitive brains but we tend to water them down by giving them simple things. The pup I'm looking after at he moment has worked out the dog brick model in 5 minutes so I have to make her something harder to keep her from tearing my living room apart investigating all the smells and corners.

If she's not interested in the kong she's no hungry. If you are feeding her from a bowl as well as kong, well, how big an incentive is it you to chase a $5 note blowing in the wind when someone just handed you $100? Feed her more from the kong nd when she's hungry enough she'll attack it

another fun game is laying a basic track in the backyard if you have some grass and its not too hot. Scuff the grass with your feet in a line and throw down little bits of cheese and kabana, reeeeally tiny bits, and get down on the ground to help her sniff out the track. When she reaches the end give her a big treat. She's a beagle after all! Even hiding bits of cooked chicken etc in some old blanket she has to open up and work out will make her use her brain and nose

ETA as for fear period, you will know what it is. The pup I took out today saw a skateboard and literally pood. So we walked a distance and just sat there, she got a massage and played with her toy while the skateboards were going and her fear went way down. She was still a little unsure but we worked through it as much as we could.

Edited by Nekhbet

ETA as for fear period, you will know what it is. The pup I took out today saw a skateboard and literally pood. So we walked a distance and just sat there, she got a massage and played with her toy while the skateboards were going and her fear went way down. She was still a little unsure but we worked through it as much as we could.

Aw, bless. Doesn't sound like mine is going through a fear stage then, unless she's particularly courageous!

I had a look on Amazon and will purchase a couple of those toys. My partner and I did some new training with her last night, and she really seems to enjoy that (I like to think it's for reasons other than food rewards) and picks things up very quickly. I might try doing some "tracking" with her this evening!

we tend to forget beagles are a working breed made to go scent out for miles a day! If you keep her brain stimulated you will find you have a quiet, well mannered and better bonded puppy then most people especially if you engage in activities that you share with her!