Different Energy Levels In Dogs

Bubitty

Haha, I know what you mean! Erik will sit at my feet, wagging his tail and grinning at me, all bright eyed and tilting his head on the side every time I so much as mutter a word as if every thing I say and do is the most interesting thing he's seen all day and he can barely wait until I say or do something else. If at that moment he does a down and gives me the "can you tickle me? Please?" look, I'm pretty much undone. Who can not tickle the little gremlin! Sometimes I think tickles and rubs and cuddles are a good alternative to a game. Dog loves it, you love it, some nice bonding and trust building, but the dog doesn't get really ramped up and it's easy to bring them down again just with slower strokes. Kivi loves a good squeezy cuddle. He groans and flails and then I get lots of ear kisses. Erik likes the game where he waits in a down for me to signal something, then he does it, and I reward him by picking him up, scratching his butt, then plopping him on his back on the nearest couch or bed and pretending to eat his belly. Very social, a little play, lots of affection, and a little training. No wonder he likes it. :D It's kind of like swinging a kid around by the ankles, though. He only needs a few and then he's kind of exhausted. :thumbsup:

Oh I know all about saying no and playing on my terms etc

I just feel bad! I wish she wouldn’t ask me to play at all!!!!!

I say no and she goes off and sleeps but then I feel like I am suppressing her urge to play which makes me feel nasty! Does that make sense?

I like to raise them based on what their natural personalities are like and I feel like am squashing her natural personality!

:thumbsup: try living with 3 border collies and seeing how bad you feel when you say no! NOT. :laugh:

You aren't squashing anything, you are just putting rules in place - we all need them whether we like it or not. You won't diminish her playfullness, if anything you will heighten her enjoyment when she IS allowed to play.