Back Seat Buddys And Restraints...

westiemum

The PetHaven site is just giving me SQL errors when I try to load it up. Same with the car size guides for the backseat buddy.

Definitely want one of these - anyone any idea what'd fit in the back seats of a Holden Captiva? I'll measure it when I get home, but if anyone knows off the top that'd be useful...

The Captiva is a SUV right? Most likely it would tell you a large size, the difference between that and the medium is only 10cm in length. I had a medium in my Pulsar and moved it into the Xtrail, pretty much still covers the back seat.

Try Vet Products direct for a better price. :thumbsup:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The PetHaven site is just giving me SQL errors when I try to load it up. Same with the car size guides for the backseat buddy.

Definitely want one of these - anyone any idea what'd fit in the back seats of a Holden Captiva? I'll measure it when I get home, but if anyone knows off the top that'd be useful...

The Captiva is a SUV right? Most likely it would tell you a large size, the difference between that and the medium is only 10cm in length. I had a medium in my Pulsar and moved it into the Xtrail, pretty much still covers the back seat.

Try Vet Products direct for a better price. :laugh:

Thank ya kindly :thumbsup:

Try Vet Products direct for a better price. wink.gif

There are a number of local distributors listed on the Petavenue website as well. I bought mine at a local Subaru dealer and from memory it was 26.00 cheaper plus didn't pay the 20.00 in postage - so a saving of 46 dollars... I think! Anyway it was significantly cheaper. I see the Petavenue website is still playing up - so might be worth a phone call to see who your local distributors are.

Hope that helps.

Try Vet Products direct for a better price. wink.gif

There are a number of local distributors listed on the Petavenue website as well. I bought mine at a local Subaru dealer and from memory it was 26.00 cheaper plus didn't pay the 20.00 in postage - so a saving of 46 dollars... I think! Anyway it was significantly cheaper. I see the Petavenue website is still playing up - so might be worth a phone call to see who your local distributors are.

Hope that helps.

I got my back seat buddy at Pet Barn and it was considerably dearer, just as everything from Pet Barn is (just take a look at their mark up on clipper blades as compared to Clipperworld or the price of bambi ears). I needed it sort of there and then and couldn't wait for the postage, though, so forked out anyway.

Thanks everyone for your insightful comments and advice :rofl: . This thread has turned out really well ;) - and yet not as I expected.

I've come to some conclusions...

If you can get them, then something like Trans K9 dog transit thingos are the best way to go. But of course sadly :( we can't get them in Australia (still investigating other local options but no success today... will keep trying).

If these custom fitted style dog transit thingos are not an option (price, availability) and you can fit them in your car, then one or more of the good quality plastic vari crates or similar, tethered and fitted as snugly as possible in the orientation Souff recommends is probably the next best option. (Not metal crates - they damage animals on impact).

If you can't fit crates in your car then I think a hammock style cover thingo for the back seat which covers the footwell is the next best thing - but must be with some good quality harnesses and tethers/restraints such as petbuckle or another harness I like is the 3 in 1 dog seat belt from canine spirit which a poster in this thread pointed me to - it looks to me like it would spread the impact instead of concentrating it like strappy type harnesses would. The thethers need to be adjusted correctly - not too long or too short.

Have come to the conclusion that a tether only (no harness), in a seat belt connected to a collar (I've seen these very cheaply in places like Big W) just on the back seat is a really bad idea - in an accident the impact will be concentrated on the dogs neck and depending on the length of the tether you can wind up with a (little) dog hanging by their damaged neck half way down the footwell.

I also think that just a harness in the back seat is only marginally better.

I suggest if you are using the back seat without a crate then the footwell needs to be covered and you need good harnesses and tethers.

Ultimately, the cost of good dog transportation might seem high, but will be cheap compared with vet costs for severely injured dogs (or worse the abject misery of losing a family member).

OK - how am I doing? Would be very interested in what you all think! :o

Edited by westiemum

When I looked into it I ended up deciding that there really wasn't a super safe method for the dogs. :laugh:

The Trans K9 crates?

The dog would still get flung into the sides, back & front in an impact. If it hit the wrong way could do a fair bit of damage IMO.

Oh and forgot to add - I heard back from Trans K9 - a nice email but no joy at all - no way of them being shipped or made available in Australia.

Shame because the K9 ones I saw were excellent. Hope an ingenious Aussie company will catch on soon.

I have worked it out that the cost of a double unit which lasted for say 5 years and stayed in the back of the wagon would not be much more than the 2 crates that I replace every couple of years because they get banged around, left out in the weather, etc.

Souff

Thanks Souff - yes I hope so too - I suspect there is a lucrative niche market there for a smart Australian company somewhere. And certainly agree about the costs. In most things, I find its cheaper in the long run to buy good quality.

Oh and forgot to add - I heard back from Trans K9 - a nice email but no joy at all - no way of them being shipped or made available in Australia.

Shame because the K9 ones I saw were excellent. Hope an ingenious Aussie company will catch on soon.

I have worked it out that the cost of a double unit which lasted for say 5 years and stayed in the back of the wagon would not be much more than the 2 crates that I replace every couple of years because they get banged around, left out in the weather, etc.

Souff

Thanks Souff - yes I hope so too - I suspect there is a lucrative niche market there for a smart Australian company somewhere. And certainly agree about the costs. In most things, I find its cheaper in the long run to buy good quality.

Souff