Back Seat Buddys And Restraints...

westiemum

Hi Everyone,

Happy New Year! :(

Inspired by Baby Dragons thread on seat-belts, I'd like to find out from other back seat buddy users whether or not you restrain your dogs as well and if so what with and how with the back seat buddy in place? (And yes I'm quite happy for someone to point out an obvious simple solution :( - I just can't seem to work out it out! :D)

My biggest problem was my old westie boy with the million dollar back legs falling down the footwell (even with a seat belt tether thing on and half hanging himself) which is why the back seat buddy is ideal for me and they are comfortable and love it - but I still would prefer they were restrained as well as then I have the best of all worlds! :)

Any help or advice much appreciated.

Edited by westiemum

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I made restraints of my own that clip onto the anchor points, on my car they are on the back of the back seats

Does anyone know of a back seat buddy that protects the doors? for some reason I always thought 'the' back seat buddy did but looking into them further they dont seem to :)

OK... genunely not being dumb 'cos mine doesn't have any seat belt holes in it... do you leave yours unzipped in the middle and thats how you do it or did it come with holes? :) Thanks for your help Gayle.

Im guessing the one Gayle has isnt actually a back seat buddy, just the same sorta thing

I got it from Autobahn, I don't think it's the backseat buddy brand, just the same type of cover/sling for the backseat.....covers the upholstery and gives a hammock effect so the dogs don't fall into the leg space.

It came with holes.

Aaaagh!!! Those anchor points are for baby seats and stuff aren't they? (The 2 legged childless one says with wonder... :() Yep thanks GG85 - I see what you've done and yes that should work well - just have to find the right restraints which are long enough to go up and over the back seat..

As for a BSB that protects the doors... the one I have doesn't do that. And I must say I've never seen or come across one... in thinking about it, how would one work with opening the doors? Unless it was a separate door piece? :) Could you make one up with velcro tabs or something? Just a thought.

Thanks for your help GG85.

I made restraints of my own that clip onto the anchor points, on my car they are on the back of the back seats

Does anyone know of a back seat buddy that protects the doors? for some reason I always thought 'the' back seat buddy did but looking into them further they dont seem to :D

Thanks tons Gayle - yep that explains it - different brand. I think I now have a solution unless any other back seat buddy users have any other original solutions?

TIA

Back to Baby Dragons thread to look at those again...

I got it from Autobahn, I don't think it's the backseat buddy brand, just the same type of cover/sling for the backseat.....covers the upholstery and gives a hammock effect so the dogs don't fall into the leg space.

It came with holes.

Edited by westiemum

OK... genunely not being dumb 'cos mine doesn't have any seat belt holes in it... do you leave yours unzipped in the middle and thats how you do it or did it come with holes? :) Thanks for your help Gayle.

We had the same problem with our first so called Backseat Buddy. It had no holes in it so we had a real problem. We then bought another one that has holes in it for the buckle/clasp to come through and now our dogs are fine - although Elbie has a bad habit of opening the window :D

Thanks KTB - I really really like the Pet Avenue Back Seat Buddy - it will outlast me and the dogs and washes like a rag - and I've just this moment thought there is a horse saddle place around the corner... I might be able to get them to put some seat belt holes in it for me x3. It would be worth it I think, as it fits the car well and I plan to keep both the car and the BSB for a long long time. Otherwise I could use the baby anchor points as GG85 suggested....

Thanks everyone.

We had the same problem with our first so called Backseat Buddy. It had no holes in it so we had a real problem. We then bought another one that has holes in it for the buckle/clasp to come through and now our dogs are fine - although Elbie has a bad habit of opening the window :D

Oh yeah - my 'baby' westie likes to look out the window and in doing so he pushes the button and gets the window down! :) So I lock the windows when the dogs are in the car for the moment until I can get a better restraint solution...

Thants what I would suggest, visit and upholsterer and get some holes put into the back seat buddy. I ahve a cheaper on that isn't a sling - but I also have two legged kids on the backseat so can't use it like that anyway. It has holes with velcro so the hole is only open enough for the seat belt thing to go trhough but once the velcro is hut not much sand gets through.

Thanks KTB - I really really like the Pet Avenue Back Seat Buddy - it will outlast me and the dogs and washes like a rag - and I've just this moment thought there is a horse saddle place around the corner... I might be able to get them to put some seat belt holes in it for me x3. It would be worth it I think, as it fits the car well and I plan to keep both the car and the BSB for a long long time. Otherwise I could use the baby anchor points as GG85 suggested....

Thanks everyone.

Aaaagh!!! Those anchor points are for baby seats and stuff aren't they? (The 2 legged childless one says with wonder... :D) Yep thanks GG85 - I see what you've done and yes that should work well - just have to find the right restraints which are long enough to go up and over the back seat..

As for a BSB that protects the doors... the one I have doesn't do that. And I must say I've never seen or come across one... in thinking about it, how would one work with opening the doors? Unless it was a separate door piece? :) Could you make one up with velcro tabs or something? Just a thought.

Thanks for your help GG85.

Thats why I made mine, I couldnt find one long enough, they are triple or quadruply stitched so I think they would hold well in the event of an accident

Im sure Ive seen a bsb that protects the doors, there is a zippered piece that you undo when you open the door, my silly JRT gets in under my hammock, which defeats the purpose of having it

OSoSwift

It has holes with velcro so the hole is only open enough for the seat belt thing to go trhough but once the velcro is hut not much sand gets through.

And that is a really good idea... thanks OSS - gee its always worth asking the DOL Universe!!

Our hammock has holes as well, but we use ute tie outs clipped to the latch bar on the top of the seat. The clips on those ute tethers are monstrous. Erik used to think it was fun to leap over the front of the hammock and dangle behind the driver's seat where he'd kick the seat and get his harness and tether twisted into a horrible mess whilst destroying the cheap hammock we had at the time. I'm not sure that using a high anchor point instead of a low one helped that much, but it cut down on the sand that gets under the hammock through the seatbelt holes, so they stayed there. However, it did enable Erik to jump over the seat into the boot and he happily yo-yoed back and forth until we got a barrier to stop him. Erik makes his own fun.

Thankfully, Erik grew out of his car antics and now just sleeps. Incidentally, the backseat hammock we have is really good. It's quilted, has a non-slip rubber back, leather straps, and it is high so that made it harder for Erik to dive over the front of it. We got it from the Vet Shed online.

Pet Avenue used to sell hound harnesses, but essentially all you need to do is get an attachment that clips to your child safety anchor points in the roof behind the dogs. Or down behind the back seats, whatever the case may be.

You could try emailing Pet Avenue, otherwise I'd get someone like Blackdog Wear to make me an adjustable attachment with a snap hook at either end.

:) :D

Yes Mac my old westie boy used to like to drive!! Thank goodness he has grown out of it and just prefers to snooze on the back seat! (And yes I did used to tether him to a back seat seat belt thingo, before I got the back seat buddy).

But the young westie now likes to get into the front passenger seat and sits up like Jacky and looks around as if to say 'now where are you taking me'? So before BSB I had to restrain him too much to his disgust! and the BSB seems to keep him in the back seat as well thank goodness.

Our hammock has holes as well, but we use ute tie outs clipped to the latch bar on the top of the seat. The clips on those ute tethers are monstrous. Erik used to think it was fun to leap over the front of the hammock and dangle behind the driver's seat where he'd kick the seat and get his harness and tether twisted into a horrible mess whilst destroying the cheap hammock we had at the time. I'm not sure that using a high anchor point instead of a low one helped that much, but it cut down on the sand that gets under the hammock through the seatbelt holes, so they stayed there. However, it did enable Erik to jump over the seat into the boot and he happily yo-yoed back and forth until we got a barrier to stop him. Erik makes his own fun.

Thankfully, Erik grew out of his car antics and now just sleeps. Incidentally, the backseat hammock we have is really good. It's quilted, has a non-slip rubber back, leather straps, and it is high so that made it harder for Erik to dive over the front of it. We got it from the Vet Shed online.