Interrupting A Behaviour

Bit of a random question and nothing too important but I was wondering what noise everyone makes to interrupt/correct an unwanted behaviour, for example, uh uh, no, buhh, a clap, or something else.

I use "uh uh" in general, but have noticed that both my dogs respond differently to different words/sounds and maybe I should try something different. Do you think that they get used to noises and don't pay as much attention to them anymore? My older boy used to be easily interrupted by any noise really but these days he needs something loud like a clap. The other day I was watching Cesar (which I don't usually do) but I noticed my younger dog was paying lots of attention to the noise he makes, kind of like "tschh". I tried making the noise on her morning walk with a small leash correction when she pulled and she was instantly falling back into heel position and giving me her attention. I wonder whether it's just because it's a noise she's not heard before?

The noise I use as an interrupter totally depends how distracted she is, and also if I'm just wanting to interrupt it, or also discourage it in the future. I use smooch, hand clap, her name, a whistle, another command like "come on!", or sometimes a large "UH" noise or "leave it" command if it's something I want to discourage.

I think it's quite likely that if you use a neutral sound as an interrupter, and never reinforce or punish it, it will become irrelevant to the dog eventually.

I use their names. :laugh: "Erik". Erik goes "Yes! What do you need?" :laugh: Gotta reward him for paying attention, though. I used to use "uh-uh" with Kivi, but it takes maintenance. It's easier to maintain a positive interruptor than a negative one IMO.

To me the noise or word is determind by the behaviour i want from them or a behaviour i want them to stop

when i want their attention during training (obedience) "ready" is normally the cue to work, and when they are near me and they aren't behaving or playing the selective hearing game i normally just click my fingers (gets them looking) then say "HEY" or a command like sit if i want further focus.. It works for me and my gang

Mine seems to know what "OI" means.

Also use "uh", "bah", "rrrr" (high pitched trill), "wee wee wee" and run away, "ssssk" hiss

Not quite the same as "try again" or "oops" and "nope".

and then there is the "NOOOOO" which is more for me when she does something life threatening, she's got no clue what that means and if we're at that point she's already been ignoring me. So sometimes she gets "BYEEEE" instead, ie when my brain kicks in again and I know the only thing I can do is let her know I'm leaving her... (then she comes running every time).

One time I caught Erik chewing on my $900 binoculars. I said "Noooo! Nononononono." He got up and came over to me with the "Did I do good? Maybe? I hope?" look and when I didn't immediately reassure him he started tongue flicking and spent the next ten minutes while I tried to calm down and not be angry at him trying anxiously but quietly to get me to give him a cuddle. Eventually I invited him up and he collapsed into my arms with a sigh and all this tension went out of his little body. He spent the next ten minutes cuddling and kissing me.

Anyway, every time I've been really genuinely very upset with something he's doing even if I try to keep the emotion out of my voice he still stops instantly and comes over all submissive and affiliative. Wish that worked on Kivi! :D

:) The well known dog trainer's command - "OI" :rofl: - sometimes I think dogs are hardwired to respond to that :o .

Like others, my interrupts tend to vary according to the situation. Usually a sort of gutteral uh-uh, or ugh - it seems to operate as a noise which is different from what the dog normally hears, and is enough to deflect the dog's attention back to you for a moment, so you can follow it up with some more positive direction.

Depending on the situation, I might also follow up OI - "with what do you think you're doing" in a tone of voice which lets the dog know I don't appreciate it. With one of mine "By golly" works pretty well too :rofl:

:D The well known dog trainer's command - "OI" :( - sometimes I think dogs are hardwired to respond to that :thumbsup: .

What, just dogs? I used to use it with my hare when he lived indoors. It meant "I will get up and chase you if you keep doing that." Of course, being the independent creature he is, he learnt all the objects associated with "OI"s and if he actually wanted to be chased he'd go and pretend to nibble on one. If I ignored him he'd pick it up or scrape his teeth on it. Then he'd crouch and give me the "Oh noes, she's gonna eats poor widdle helpless me!" look and spring away at the last moment to create shock waves as he dashed around the room. One time he ran off with a pencil that somehow got tangled in a ball of string and for a crazy moment while I went into damage minimisation mode and grabbed the string, I had a surreal sensation of fishing in my bedroom as the hare kept running and I tried to keep the string from tangling in everything as it unravelled.

Bit of a random question and nothing too important but I was wondering what noise everyone makes to interrupt/correct an unwanted behaviour, for example, uh uh, no, buhh, a clap, or something else.

I use "uh uh" in general, but have noticed that both my dogs respond differently to different words/sounds and maybe I should try something different. Do you think that they get used to noises and don't pay as much attention to them anymore? My older boy used to be easily interrupted by any noise really but these days he needs something loud like a clap. The other day I was watching Cesar (which I don't usually do) but I noticed my younger dog was paying lots of attention to the noise he makes, kind of like "tschh". I tried making the noise on her morning walk with a small leash correction when she pulled and she was instantly falling back into heel position and giving me her attention. I wonder whether it's just because it's a noise she's not heard before?

Maybe because that was the noise she heard as a puppy when she was doing really naughty stuff like eating chickens....... :thumbsup: