Endurance Test 2011 Thread

Hi All,

so we are all talking about our dogs, and training, and bikes etc. but who is actually ENTERING an ET this year?

We know the dates are:

NSW:

10 July 2011 - Grafton Dog Obedience Club (Grafton)

7 August 2011 - Dogs NSW (Erskine Park)

ACT:

TBA - Dogs ACT (Exhibition Park In Canberra - EPIC)

VIC:

25 May 2011 - Hungarian Vizsla Club

5 June 2011 - Murray Valley Obedience Dog Club

11 June 2011 - Dalmatian Club

25 June 2011 - GSD Club (Cherry Lake Reserve, Altona)

2 July 2011 - East Gippsland Dog Obedience Club (Lake Guthridge)

SA:

25 June 2011 - German Shepherd Dog Club of SA

QLD:

31 July 2011 - Ipswich Dog Club

WA:

June (unsure of date)

So who is entering and which tests?

M

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't forget little old Tasmania :thumbsup: 10th July - Tas Dog Training Club. Hoping to enter my BC Rory - will see how he goes - need to do some riding with other dogs, and he won't be 3 until the end of September - might wait till next year. Hopefully he's my next agility dog as well as obedience and tracking (and showing) - don't want to break him..

Training going well here, although we won't be doing an ET until 2012 as Cash is only 16months. We've been doing 3-5 kms everyday, and a longer ride every few days. Longest so far is 10kms, and Cash was still wanting to go more. Mainly on the grass, some unsealed road and the mud since its been raining, but also over the back of my place on our old motorcross track, lots of steep hills, dodging trees etc.

We rode off the property at the local bike track for the first time last weekend, and he did really well. He was a bit shy going past other bikes at first, fine going past dog walkers and people, but by halfway through (@3.4kms) he was happy to pass anything or be passed without even looking. We passed ducks and geese as well and he barely blinked an eye. I rode on the concrete pathway most of the time, and cash sometimes on the grass, sometimes on the concrete, and his paws held up fine.

It was sooooo much easier riding on the pathway than on the grass and mud here at home, my legs didn't ache at all, so at least its good training loads on the grass and mud hills.

Taking a break on the 10km ride

223526_10150243733484009_532489008_8624255_3971379_n.jpg

I've been using the walky dog attachment on the bike, with the lead in my hand as well. I hadn't used it until a few weeks ago I went over the handle bars when he saw a toy and stopped @ 19km/hr :thumbsup: of course I had my hands on the handlebars. So I'll use the walky dog again until I get my brake levers changed sides later this week. At least when I go through the bush over the back of my place I'm able to concentrate on the path ahead and not keeping him in check.

We are doing the local bike track again this weekend (probably 7:30 or 8am Saturday @ Camden if anyone wants to join us), and I'll do it twice for 13.6 kms. I've ordered a bike rack for my car, it was a bit tight with the bike and Cash all in the hatchback together.

Also had Cash vet checked, just to make sure all was good after a few weeks of training. They are really happy with his muscle development and there is no sign of discomfort or lameness :rofl: Heart rate is great, and all good to slowly increase the km and judge how he's coping along the way :o

Edited by Zenith

went out at day break this morning & done 6 km's with Orlando, :laugh: he did really well kept up the pace at 11.5 km's, Orlando pulled up great me a little bit sore :clap: but working on it ;)

Looking at taking Malika (our Pappy ) out later to check on her pace, now I have my stupid speedo working I can work on her better & build her up. I must be :o putting a small breed dog through, but what the hell we are both getting exercise :eek:

Edited by murve

Hi Abbiestar

The Diva and I will either do Sydney or Canberra as being a bitch she will come into season for one or the other :shrug: My preference is for Canberra, with Jenny Kenworthy as the organiser it will go like clockwork and I won't feel stressed.

Now my question is pulling, the Diva is pulling the entire 20 kilometres!!!!!!!!!! I are struggling trying to get her to run alongside of me, and after the accident with my previous dog on the Springer, I am very nervous about putting the Springer on to the bike. So anyone with suggestions of how to stop the Diva towing me the entire ET would be appreciated.

Hi Zenith

If you would like to send me a PM, I would love to organise to have a practise ride with you, especially as the Diva pulls like a steam train and I need to teach her to run alongside me. She is very non aggressive so no problems around other dogs.

Cheers

FH

Hi everyone, thanks for the warm welcome to your thread :shrug:

Abbiestar,

The Hungarian Vizsla Club's ET in Victoria is actually the 28th May not the 25th (which is a Wednesday). I had a quick panic attack when I saw your date and thought I had messed everything up, but on double checking its definately the 28th May. :rofl:

We did 5.5kms yesterday and she and I both pulled up great. I have started her on Lectade which she seems to really like. Today we had a break as I couldn't get anyone to look after my 1 & 1/2 year old but we will do another 5.5kms tomorrow and a swim on Friday.

We have 3 weeks to go til our ET, does anyone have any idea how much I should increase her to starting from next week or do I just do 6km every day with a 2 x 8km run tossed in with 2 weeks to go until the ET?

Edited by TrinaJ

Hi everyone, thanks for the warm welcome to your thread :shrug:

Abbiestar,

The Hungarian Vizsla Club's ET in Victoria is actually the 28th May not the 25th (which is a Wednesday). I had a quick panic attack when I saw your date and thought I had messed everything up, but on double checking its definately the 28th May. :rofl:

We did 5.5kms yesterday and she and I both pulled up great. I have started her on Lectade which she seems to really like. Today we had a break as I couldn't get anyone to look after my 1 & 1/2 year old but we will do another 5.5kms tomorrow and a swim on Friday.

We have 3 weeks to go til our ET, does anyone have any idea how much I should increase her to starting from next week or do I just do 6km every day with a 2 x 8km run tossed in with 2 weeks to go until the ET?

Hi TrinaJ I have started cycling 6-8 k's, I was advised last night by ph to do 6-8k's about 3-4 times a week & have a vet check done now to see how his physical is. Then again within 2 weeks before the trial so the vet can fill out the vet check form we have to take with us on the day :grouphug:

Hi everyone, thanks for the warm welcome to your thread :D

Abbiestar,

Hi TrinaJ I have started cycling 6-8 k's, I was advised last night by ph to do 6-8k's about 3-4 times a week & have a vet check done now to see how his physical is. Then again within 2 weeks before the trial so the vet can fill out the vet check form we have to take with us on the day :)

Thanks Murve :(

Hi everyone, thanks for the warm welcome to your thread :rofl:

Abbiestar,

The Hungarian Vizsla Club's ET in Victoria is actually the 28th May not the 25th (which is a Wednesday). I had a quick panic attack when I saw your date and thought I had messed everything up, but on double checking its definately the 28th May. :)

Hi TrinaJ I have started cycling 6-8 k's, I was advised last night by ph to do 6-8k's about 3-4 times a week & have a vet check done now to see how his physical is. Then again within 2 weeks before the trial so the vet can fill out the vet check form we have to take with us on the day :(

Thanks Murve :)

Your welcome TrinaJ :) :)

may I ask where are your training atm, we are doing our training at the local footy ground, it's 1k from my place. I found the footy ground good it has the 3 diff teraine we cover in the trial. :D going round in circles but I have it being safe while training, give me more of a chance to concerntraite on our speed & the dogs gait.

Abbiestar,

OMG! I got another date wrong, and forgot the ET in Tasmania! Must be getting old.

I guess the only ET I really NEED to remember is the GSDCV because I am judging that one! :):(

M

I am training at Narre North Football Oval on belgrave-hallam Road. I ride from my house along the gravel path along B-H Road, then onto the footapth (900m) that surrounds the football ovals, then on some grass when we do the 2nd lap.

Abbiestar,

Hi TrinaJ,

I have met some people who literally turn up with their dog to do the ET having never trained, practiced or even ridden with the dog -and they passed!

I guess if the dog is fit and reasonably well behaved this is a possibility.

I do not advise this practice though. I think it is very important to be well trained, practiced and prepared for the ET to maximise the chance of passing and reduce the risk of over exerting or injuring the dog.

Personally, I think what you are doing is fine. Remember the test is conducted under very controlled conditions with rest breaks and vet checks.

Good luck for your test.

M

I am training at Narre North Football Oval on belgrave-hallam Road. I ride from my house along the gravel path along B-H Road, then onto the footapth (900m) that surrounds the football ovals, then on some grass when we do the 2nd lap.

Yep I know where that is :thumbsup: , we train at Pakenham Footy ground, sounds like us mexicans are a little more motivated with training, getting organised etc :love::cry:

Dont worry Abistar you might be having a brain overload :wave:

I'm entering with Ahsoka... Not sure which one yet - probably Canberra at this stage, however the date has been changed to TBA on their website...

Canberra is a great course through the showgrounds. It was very wet when I judged there last year (torrential rain). I think Jenny Kenworthy has changed the date to TBA as she would like a better climate and less risk of cold and rain to conduct the ET. When I last spoke with her, she thought it may be held in September. Good luck!

M

Thx Michael, I don't understand how people can do it without preparing their dog, the last thing I want to do is injure my dog, she's my best mate (even though she's a nut lol).

Jett is now thinking tgat everytime I go into the garage she is going on a bike ride, she gets so excited, she's loving it. I think this is something I am going to continue with her since she lives it so much!!!

Murve, I know the one your referring to also ;)

I'm entering with Ahsoka... Not sure which one yet - probably Canberra at this stage, however the date has been changed to TBA on their website...

Canberra is a great course through the showgrounds. It was very wet when I judged there last year (torrential rain). I think Jenny Kenworthy has changed the date to TBA as she would like a better climate and less risk of cold and rain to conduct the ET. When I last spoke with her, she thought it may be held in September. Good luck!

M

Oh thanks for that! Good to know!

i want to know if anyone has done it whilst pregnant?? the riding and the dog aren't an issue she is pretty well behaved just wondering if i'd be allowed

Whose prego you or the dog?????? :o if you are depends how far you are, gees I was splitting wood, riding horses till about 3 weeks before I had my daughter :laugh: but thats what happends when you lived in the bush. It would probably help doing exercise, makes the birth easier, sorry guys a little off the subject

For the dogs sake it helps tooooo we worked our girls till the day they dropped with no probs at all :rofl:

Edited by murve

Thx Michael, I don't understand how people can do it without preparing their dog, the last thing I want to do is injure my dog, she's my best mate (even though she's a nut lol).

Jett is now thinking tgat everytime I go into the garage she is going on a bike ride, she gets so excited, she's loving it. I think this is something I am going to continue with her since she lives it so much!!!

Murve, I know the one your referring to also :rofl:

Cool Trina we should get together & do some laps :laugh: . I have the same with our guys, go near the bikes & thats it they go phyco running from the bikes to where thier leads hang near the front door :o Pm if you want to meet up for a couple of laps