Endurance Test 2011 Thread

:) RS They do tend to pull a bit at the start, expecially when they're inexperienced, but as long as they're settling down, that's fine. It's only if they pull consistently that most judges will warn you and eventually pull you.

You may have to (very gently) nudge Ruby, if she really won't get out of the way, but if you've got a space where you can do some wide-ish left circles, she'll figure it out. ;)

Thanks Tassie. I wouldn't call it pulling, just not next to the bike. And yes, I intend to nudge her with the front wheel (ever so gently of course) to let her see first hand that it isn't a very good place to be up there :rofl: Riding on grass is going to take some time, as they can't help themselves with the lovely smells and spend the grass time with nose glued to the ground, grr!! :rofl:

:eek: RS - one of the places I ride has a bunch of baby rabbits around - I have tgo try to see them before Rory does :D - although in fact he's been really good about ignoring them after the first couple of times he saw them. I have to remind him about trotting on when there are other dogs in his vision - part of this same tack goes by an off lead fenced dog park. Good training though.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My dogs had their second bike experience tonight. Took them a slightly longer ride, but still keeping it short to start with. Was only about 10 minutes, around the block, to the park, so we had a bit of grass biking, then back home. Until they settle into it, they are jogging a head or two in front of the front wheel, is this too far? Once they get into the swing of it they are gaiting nicely next to me, but not all the time. I am going to run Ruby over as she isn't concerned about getting in the way, and ya know what, I think I need to to show her to get the hell outta the way ;) :)

Hi RubyStar,

As a judge, I am aware that the dogs are unsettled and excited when the test commences. I give a lot of leeway in the first few laps as the dogs pull ahead and need some minor corrections to bring them in line. Generally I do not need to warn competitors about their dogs as they settle down themselves. I have never had to disqualify any competitor either.

Put the work in now, and the ET will be a breeze. Ideally, the dog should gait alongside you (not pulling ahead and not lagging behind). With the training work done beforehand, they will do this and you will get the ET title for the dog.

Keep up the good work. Short rides as you are doing is the perfect way to introduce the dog to what you require. Build the ride up in distance and remember to get the dog used to doing this alongside you over three different surfaces (bitumen, gravel, grass). The ET is broken up into 8ks, 6ks, and 6 ks again with rest breaks in between. You do not have to train the dog to do 20ks in one whole training session.

If you need/want any advice, please ask.

Which ET do you think you will enter?

M

If you need/want any advice, please ask.

Which ET do you think you will enter?

M

Thanks for the tips :D So far we've ridden on the road, footpaths and grass, but when I get time I will take them down to our K9 grounds as the carparks are gravel and safe to train on when it isn't a training or trialling night, so very little cars passing through.

Need a padded bike seat though, two short bike rides and I can feel bruising already :eek:

I haven't looked up where the Perth ones are held, so wherever they are here. If I can get the training done, I plan on entering the 2 that are being held, one with each dog.

M

Thanks for the tips :eek: So far we've ridden on the road, footpaths and grass, but when I get time I will take them down to our K9 grounds as the carparks are gravel and safe to train on when it isn't a training or trialling night, so very little cars passing through.

Need a padded bike seat though, two short bike rides and I can feel bruising already :cry:

I haven't looked up where the Perth ones are held, so wherever they are here. If I can get the training done, I plan on entering the 2 that are being held, one with each dog.

Don't discount the cycling knicks (padded lycra shorts). There was a long discussion on these in this forum some time back. Well worth it.

Keep the training up. Looking forward to hearing of your successes later in the year.

M

Is anyone doing the Altona one in Vic ? l was just wondering considering it is held at a public park does it present an issue with other dog walkers using the area, other bike riders and the general public just enjoy the area compared to an ET being held at KCC park or German Shepherd club grounds ?

Edited by Sir Sniffalot

Is anyone doing the Altona one in Vic ? l was just wondering considering it is held at a public park does it present an issue with other dog walkers using the area, other bike riders and the general public just enjoy the area compared to an ET being held at KCC park or German Shepherd club grounds ?

Hi,

I hope to do that ET with the GSDCV. I have done Altona five times before. It is in a public space, but the people using the paths were always compliant and respectful of the event and competitors. At no time did I ever experience or witness any issue with the public. It is a safe, well managed course which is mostly flat.

KCC Park has no issues with the public. I have competed and judged at this venue again without incident. It is completely flat. Only problem can be the grounds if wet. It is in a bit of a rain belt and the grounds can and have flooded quite badly in the past.

The GSDCV use Altona as their ET course.

M

Thank God I found this thread! I'm planning on doing the ET with my boys this year. First with Louie, then with Banjo...

We had our first biking experience last night and they were really good.. I had flat tyres, so it was literally a 5 minute ride but it was good fun!

Anyone else doing the ET in Qld? Where do you find the ET schedule? I've been struggling to find it!

Oh, and I think I'll be investing in a new bike seat AND padded shorts! My butt feels every little bump!

Thanks for that, it looks like we will do Altona as the dog is not 2 till mid June, we are from a small country town so training for the distractions a park can offer could have been a problem

With 2 being the minimum age, you will be just eligible to compete. The GSDCV will host the ET at Altona and I believe it is being held on Saturday June 25.

Details can be found on their website www.gsdcv.org.au

I hope to compete there also with another of my Vizslas. Be sure to come and say 'hello'!

M

Thank God I found this thread! I'm planning on doing the ET with my boys this year. First with Louie, then with Banjo...

We had our first biking experience last night and they were really good.. I had flat tyres, so it was literally a 5 minute ride but it was good fun!

Anyone else doing the ET in Qld? Where do you find the ET schedule? I've been struggling to find it!

Oh, and I think I'll be investing in a new bike seat AND padded shorts! My butt feels every little bump!

Hi Flick Mac,

Welcome to the ET thread. Please have a good read through our previous pages. Lots of good advice and comment there.

As far as I know, there is an ET in Ipswich on July 31, and also one held in FNQ (not sure whereabouts you are).

If you let me know which ET you would like to compete at, I can find out the details.

M

Hi Abbie!

I was just being a blonde and thought Nik had only put up NSW dates.... oops!

I still have to join DogsQLD (I'm in Brissie) but am PUMPED!

Hi,

Best you enter the ET at Ipswich. That is the closest to Brisbane. The trial secretary is Ann Clarkson. Her number is 07 5426 8774.

M

Thanks for that, it looks like we will do Altona as the dog is not 2 till mid June, we are from a small country town so training for the distractions a park can offer could have been a problem

With 2 being the minimum age, you will be just eligible to compete. The GSDCV will host the ET at Altona and I believe it is being held on Saturday June 25.

Details can be found on their website www.gsdcv.org.au

I hope to compete there also with another of my Vizslas. Be sure to come and say 'hello'!

M

I'm hoping to do the Altona one too- just need to get my bike fixed!!

Has anyone here trained their dog on a bike with a trailer behind? I have a 3yo who will travel in the trailer (I think the baby seat will be too difficult with a dog as well). I won't be using it int the test obviously, but will probably need to use it when training.

I'm hoping to do the Altona one too- just need to get my bike fixed!!

Has anyone here trained their dog on a bike with a trailer behind? I have a 3yo who will travel in the trailer (I think the baby seat will be too difficult with a dog as well). I won't be using it int the test obviously, but will probably need to use it when training.

Hi,

if your dog is not used to the trailer, get him used to it by walking him first along with the bike and trailer. This will familiarise the noise and movement of the bike and trailer to him so it is not so foreign when you start riding. Try very short distances at first, say to the end of your street and back, and then expand on that once the dog is used to it. Practice also (same method) without the trailer so that is also familiar to the dog for the actual test.

M

What is the time limit for each of the sections?

If I still have Mindy when she is 2, I would like to do this.

I would like to jog the test as this would be much more of a challenge for me! I don't think 20kms is tough for a fit large breed dog, but definitely a challenge for me to run :thumbsup:

10km an hour is a slow jog?

I used to do really long bike rides with my aussie shep (20-40km) but there aren't many suitable places to bike with dogs in sydney (especially in my area) and I don't even have a bike anymore!

What is the time limit for each of the sections?

If I still have Mindy when she is 2, I would like to do this.

I would like to jog the test as this would be much more of a challenge for me! I don't think 20kms is tough for a fit large breed dog, but definitely a challenge for me to run :thumbsup:

10km an hour is a slow jog?

I used to do really long bike rides with my aussie shep (20-40km) but there aren't many suitable places to bike with dogs in sydney (especially in my area) and I don't even have a bike anymore!

Hi,

the whole test takes approximately 2 hours and 35 minutes. This includes the rest breaks.

The test is not too hard for a fit dog. It is rare for a dog to fail.

10kmh is a slow jog, roughly the same as a show ring gait.

Definitely recommend you train up yourself for the 20k run.

Cycling is much easier.

M

Is there much demand for the Altona one, what's the chance of missing out in a ballot ? l think l was reading earlier about pad care but can't seem to find it now how is everyone else addressing this ?

The Shepherd club is a big club. They usually have a large entry and do hold a ballot. was balloted out one year, but contacted the secretary to ask to be kept in mind if someone else cancelled. They did and I got in.

They only run the one class of 20 with one judge.

Have attended other ET's with two classes and two judges which also worked well.

Re: pad care, best to condition the dogs pads so he/she is capable of doing the test. The judge and vet will not hesitate to disqualify the dog if the pads are damaged or at risk of causing distress to the dog.

M

I have musher's secret paw protection wax. I like it.

I haven't started bike training with Soaks yet. She's in season. Instead I've been doing interval training with her and doing jump work to increase her fitness until we can get out there. She's accustomed to the bike now though and she's pretty fit so there's plenty of time to get her endurance up.