Endurance Test 2011 Thread

I think it is suggested to have someone as an assistant for you on the day.

I have mine all organised... She has been instructed to take lots of photos and video :shrug:

Seriously though, it is very good advice.

I thought maybe we could make a list of everything you should take with you to the ET and everything you should take to the starting area for yourself and your dog. I'll start off with a few things and then I'll add everyone else's suggestions - I'll put it all onto the OP.

To take to the ET:

- The Dog!

- Bike (if riding)

- Helmet (if riding)

- Running shoes (if running)

- Appropriate size lead

- Cycle computer (optional)

- Cycle gloves (optional)

- Water for you and your dog

- Water bowl for dog

- Your strapper/helper

To have at the start line:

- Water for you and dog

- Mat for dog to lie on (optional)

- Light treats for dog (optional)

- Snacks for you (optional)

Great idea. Please post the Op when complete.

Added to this list could be SPARES.

Spare lead and collar

Spare bike if transport allows

Spare helmet/safety/riding gear

MICA Ambulance

Bottle of wine

:()

M

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh l never thought about being balloted out, l would hate to put all that work in and not get a shot at it. So what happens if you are balloted out, is that it all over and you have to try your luck again next year or are you given first choice at another ET in your state etc ???

Oh l never thought about being balloted out, l would hate to put all that work in and not get a shot at it. So what happens if you are balloted out, is that it all over and you have to try your luck again next year or are you given first choice at another ET in your state etc ???

Pretty Much. You do get your entry refunded, but unless the club is prepared to run a second group under another judge, they are restricted to 20.

The clubs all operate independently and there is no priority of entry with them.

M

Hi All

I am looking to see if there would be interest for a 3rd ET trial in WA, possibly in August and maybe in the southern suburbs?

The current two are run by the German Shepherd Club, this will be run separately if it goes to plan!!!

Interested to hear your thoughts

Jo, The Vizslas and Hamilton

Shoalwater WA

Hi All

I am looking to see if there would be interest for a 3rd ET trial in WA, possibly in August and maybe in the southern suburbs?

The current two are run by the German Shepherd Club, this will be run separately if it goes to plan!!!

Shoalwater WA

I would be happy to support it! :laugh: Do you know the possible venue?

I'd love to do this, great advice everyone!!

My viz has been running next to the bike for years and is just wonderful, but I leave a lot to be desired having come off many times..

I am hoping to move back to SA fairly near to the german shepherd club (we lived opposite for many years) so am pleased endur is held there. There is a great track very nearby along the River Torrens, you can ride from the beach to the city centre :laugh:

Will get all this info together for training for later events :laugh: ;)

Must remember to have a spares list,,, WINE :laugh::laugh:

Hi All

Shoalwater WA

Great idea Jo!

These events need to be publicised well so they can get the same status as obedience trials.

Welcome to this thread.

M

Hi All

Shoalwater WA

I would be if I can't get to the one on the 25th June. I can't do the September one as have a major horse show :laugh:

Aren't the current two in the Southern Suburbs? Maybe taking one North (or closer to the centre) would be good?

Hi All

Shoalwater WA

I'd also be interested :confused: Sounds good.

Yay got the Springer sucessfully hooked up to my bike! Although it is going to take some getting used to! :laugh:

Taking Bondi on it's maiden voyage tonight to test it out- because she is already trained to run next to a bike on lead- so should be nice and easy.

Hoping to take Wolf on his first run tomorrow morning- on some nice soft grass incase I come off! :eek:

Very jealous of you guys doing the ET this year, It'll be three years before I get to do it with Bear :laugh: .

Why three years? The dogs can do it at 2 years of age.

M

It depends on how he matures, my other boy was a very slow maturer, plus I'll be busy with obedience and agility :eek: .

Very jealous of you guys doing the ET this year, It'll be three years before I get to do it with Bear :D .

Why three years? The dogs can do it at 2 years of age.

M

It depends on how he matures, my other boy was a very slow maturer, plus I'll be busy with obedience and agility :) .

OK. Good luck with all your training.

M

Hi All

Shoalwater WA

I would be happy to support it! :crossfingers: Do you know the possible venue?

Depends we could go to Bunbury or alternative there is a great complex down at lark hill near secret harbour which has the 3 surface types - i am also open to other suggestions though?

Shoalwater WA

Hi All

Shoalwater WA

I would be if I can't get to the one on the 25th June. I can't do the September one as have a major horse show :crossfingers:

Aren't the current two in the Southern Suburbs? Maybe taking one North (or closer to the centre) would be good?

i think its at bibra lake which is southish - i was thinking more south then this. though looking at north is a possibility but i know nothing or northern venues if you have any ideas?

Shoalwater WA

Hi All

Shoalwater WA

I would be happy to support it! :crossfingers: Do you know the possible venue?

Depends we could go to Bunbury or alternative there is a great complex down at lark hill near secret harbour which has the 3 surface types - i am also open to other suggestions though?

Shoalwater WA

ooo cooler down that way :laugh:

hello everyone; we have been reading this with great interest!

We have just started to bike with our dog Digby. He is really loving it.

Because of this it made me think about doing the possibility of Doing the ET with him.

But when I mentioned it to some dog friends they thought it would be cruel to do it with Digby because he is a very big dog.

I thought that as long as we conditioned him properly it wouldn't be cruel :heart:

But I would like some opinions from people on here.

He is just 60 kgs and he is built similarly to a Bullmastiff; however he is not brachycephalic (like a bullmastiff is).

He is a rescue dog (so unknown heritage) do people think I should get his hips scored before doing something like this with him?

and one more question...

How do I check his heart rate?

hello everyone; we have been reading this with great interest!

We have just started to bike with our dog Digby. He is really loving it.

Because of this it made me think about doing the possibility of Doing the ET with him.

But when I mentioned it to some dog friends they thought it would be cruel to do it with Digby because he is a very big dog.

I thought that as long as we conditioned him properly it wouldn't be cruel :heart:

But I would like some opinions from people on here.

He is just 60 kgs and he is built similarly to a Bullmastiff; however he is not brachycephalic (like a bullmastiff is).

He is a rescue dog (so unknown heritage) do people think I should get his hips scored before doing something like this with him?

and one more question...

How do I check his heart rate?

Hi Raineth,

welcome to the ET list. Digby certainly is a big boy at 60kgs! As you may have read, the ET course is broken up into three stages of 8k, 6k and 6k again. Each with a rest break between them.

I think that any dog can do it with good and proper preparatory training. Given that the ET's are not held until the cooler weather starts, this gives you approximately 4-5 months to get prepared. This is more than enough time.

I do not think it would be cruel to make Digby do this. Just start his training now and build up the distances over time. The ET is run at a steady 10-12kph. It is a gentle gait for an average sized dog.

I notice you are in NSW? this would mean that you could go to Erskine Park (Sydney), or to DogsACT in Canberra to do your ET.

To check Digby's heart rate, get him to lie down on his right side. Bend his left front leg at the elbow. Touch the elbow to his chest. This is the area where you can easily hear the heartbeat. Place your fingers flat on this area and count the beats for 15 seconds. Then multiply that number by 4 and you have the heartbeats per minute.

If you need more help or info, please ask.

M