Endurance Test 2011 Thread

A word of warning to those starting to train their dogs to bikes. Dogs are inclined to want to relieve themselves, after a good trot (even when you think they have emptied out at home) and will often stop abruptly without any warning to do so, causing injury to the biker. How do I know this, experience, pain and one dead bike. :love:

Still a little nervous biking with the dog after the last accident, but I replaced the bike with a much smaller one so hopefully I don't get so hurt (just have to peddle more to make up for the small tyres on my kiddie bike).

ozjen, I can vouch for that also. Sorry to hear about your nasty experience.

My bitch Dyzney (whom empties on command and did so prior to the test and during at least one of the breaks) did decide she also needed to go "NOW" whilst we were in mid leg.

Anyway, where she suddenly wanted to relieve herself with absolutely no warning whatsoever, was on a stretch where there is a bit of a dip off to the side of the path (this was at Altona)... and well you can imagine, she literally dragged me off the bike sideways. I crashed and the seat of my bike poked right into the bandage in my leg that was nursing 6 stitches where I had fallen on a star picket a few days prior to the test. (There was no way I was going to cancel the ET cause of a few silly stitches, after all the training involved in getting a Rottweiler ET fit). :wave:

I nearly passed out, but I soldiered on, a little feeling like vomitting from the pain for a few moments, but came good again.

Of course as we rode past the spectators, officials and vetting station, they were all wondering why there was blood leaking out of my bandage :love:

Edited by dyzney

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks AS. That was great you got in, in the end.

As they are 2 weeks apart, I may enter both. If I get into the first one and scratch the 2nd as soon as I know, they will have 3+ weeks to allow someone else in that may have got balloted out, ... or maybe I will just enter one.

Not sure yet, will decide when the time gets closer.

I certainly would not do anything to ruin it for someone else, but I can't see how it would when the trials are 2 weeks apart?

If I notified the trial secretary as soon as I knew I got into the first one, surely no one would miss out?

How far out from the trial are you notifed you are definitely in.. sorry, I do not remember.

Usually the club advertises a ballot date on their schedule. This is most likely the entry closing date. I would recommend you contact the club on the closing or ballot date to be sure.

The HVCV at KCC Park is a very flat even course and is very safe - no traffic/pedestrians etc.

The Dally Club at Springer Centre is also safe though there is a small section which could be shared with pedestrians and traffic in a car park.

Have competed at, and judged both. Both are enjoyable courses.

Good luck.

M

A word of warning to those starting to train their dogs to bikes. Dogs are inclined to want to relieve themselves, after a good trot (even when you think they have emptied out at home) and will often stop abruptly without any warning to do so, causing injury to the biker. How do I know this, experience, pain and one dead bike. ;)

Still a little nervous biking with the dog after the last accident, but I replaced the bike with a much smaller one so hopefully I don't get so hurt (just have to peddle more to make up for the small tyres on my kiddie bike).

My bitch Dyzney (whom empties on command and did so prior to the test and during at least one of the breaks) did decide she also needed to go "NOW" whilst we were in mid leg.

Anyway, where she suddenly wanted to relieve herself with absolutely no warning whatsoever, was on a stretch where there is a bit of a dip off to the side of the path (this was at Altona)... and well you can imagine, she literally dragged me off the bike sideways. I crashed and the seat of my bike poked right into the bandage in my leg that was nursing 6 stitches where I had fallen on a star picket a few days prior to the test. (There was no way I was going to cancel the ET cause of a few silly stitches, after all the training involved in getting a Rottweiler ET fit). :wave:

I nearly passed out, but I soldiered on, a little feeling like vomitting from the pain for a few moments, but came good again.

Of course as we rode past the spectators, officials and vetting station, they were all wondering why there was blood leaking out of my bandage :love:

:D Wow, Dyzney, you are much braver than me, my blood ran cold just reading about it, would have been painful enough peddling without the crash and poke.

Have to love our dogs timing, my girl also goes on command but still manages to hold something back for the bike ride, I'm sure she thinks that mum loves her poo because she is always collecting it up so she doesn't want to disappoint me. :love:

Ruby is the type of dog to stop dead in her tracks on a walk if she needs to wee NOW so I'm a bit scared :love:

Does anyone have any tips for toughening up dogs pads? Ruby is what I'd call a bit of a "princess" - as soon as we walk on the road, she starts limping like the surface hurts her paws. She is fine on footpaths and grass, but that damn road :wave: So I am a bit concerned how she'd handle the different surfaces for the ET and am hoping there is something I can do to toughen the princess up!

What is the ballot thing that is being talked about? Are there a certain number of spots available in each ET so if there are more entries than spots your name gets pulled out for a spot?

Does anyone have any tips for toughening up dogs pads? Ruby is what I'd call a bit of a "princess" - as soon as we walk on the road, she starts limping like the surface hurts her paws. She is fine on footpaths and grass, but that damn road :wave: So I am a bit concerned how she'd handle the different surfaces for the ET and am hoping there is something I can do to toughen the princess up!

Have you tried paw wax? That can help give a bit of protection.

Have you tried paw wax? That can help give a bit of protection.

Nope, tried nothing yet as I have no idea what to try :love: Where would I get this from? And do I just apply a layer to her paws? (I assume it's of a similar texture to vaseline/papaw ointment?)

wants to do the et with chandra and thankfully she has had some training beside the bike. now i need a bike. rofl and well being pregnant it may not be the best idea hahahahahahaha i am pretty clumsy at the best of times

Ruby is the type of dog to stop dead in her tracks on a walk if she needs to wee NOW so I'm a bit scared :love:

What is the ballot thing that is being talked about? Are there a certain number of spots available in each ET so if there are more entries than spots your name gets pulled out for a spot?

In my experience, toughening up the pads naturally offers less risk of splits etc than using product, but there will always be the exception.

I find ensuring that during training dogs are always biked on wet grass (morning dew), then gravel, then repeat. altering surfaces constantly will test the pads and toughen them up.

During the ET I think the biggest risk on the pads is the dog travelling on gravel after being softened from the wet grass, so train this.

Another reason pads become damaged is from the pulling either by the dog or handler to keep the dogs back from chasing the dog in front or just general excitement. Yes, pulling is technically not allowed, but it happens a lot and I have yet to see a handler or dog get pinged for it. The extra friction and lesser traction that pulling creates on the pads can be taxing on them. And this can be a surprise to the rider as they may not do it in training, particularly after 6 weeks of it.

Though I have only done one ET, I have strapped at some and also have been biking my dogs around suburban roads for many many years.

Edited by dyzney

A word of warning to those starting to train their dogs to bikes. Dogs are inclined to want to relieve themselves, after a good trot (even when you think they have emptied out at home) and will often stop abruptly without any warning to do so, causing injury to the biker. How do I know this, experience, pain and one dead bike. :)

;) Wow, Dyzney, you are much braver than me, my blood ran cold just reading about it, would have been painful enough peddling without the crash and poke.

Have to love our dogs timing, my girl also goes on command but still manages to hold something back for the bike ride, I'm sure she thinks that mum loves her poo because she is always collecting it up so she doesn't want to disappoint me. :love:

Don't know about brave ozjen :D probably more stupid than anything else ;)

Yes, it was a bit painful doing the test, but good fun as well.

I often bike 2 Rotties together around here. Now that can be fun.... being pulled off the bike by 2.

Thanks again AS.

I will definitely check into it thoroughly and contact trial secs when the time comes.

I am familiar with both grounds and yes, you are absolutely right, they are both lovely and mostly quite flat. :wave:

I appreciate your in put, thank you. It is awesome to have someone on here willing to contribute with your experience.

I do look forward to doing ET again this year. I will need all the luck I can get this time around. My boy is a particularly "hot" dog and I am hoping he can manage to recover his temp and heart rate well enough... common problem in Rottis doing ET, particularly some of the bigger lads.

wants to do the et with chandra and thankfully she has had some training beside the bike. now i need a bike. rofl and well being pregnant it may not be the best idea hahahahahahaha i am pretty clumsy at the best of times

Do it emery :wave: maybe wait til after you've had the baby. Both you and Chandra will love it.

The ET is restricted to a maximum of 20 entrants per class. If the entries received exceed 20, then a ballot is held. Basically, al entrants are put into a hat and drawn out in random order. The first 20 pulled out get into the ET, the remainders are "balloted out" and do not get in.

Some clubs have an emergency judge for entries in excess of 20 and he total is then split between the two judges.

M

Hi Michael

Do you have any suggestions on training bitches in season. please?

Train as normal, but use a park or reserve, not public roads. Be sure to drive the dog away from your home so that her scent does not leave a trail for all wayward dogs to follow to your home.

Do not take her out on her due days.

M

Thanks again AS.

I will definitely check into it thoroughly and contact trial secs when the time comes.

I am familiar with both grounds and yes, you are absolutely right, they are both lovely and mostly quite flat. :shrug:

I appreciate your in put, thank you. It is awesome to have someone on here willing to contribute with your experience.

I do look forward to doing ET again this year. I will need all the luck I can get this time around. My boy is a particularly "hot" dog and I am hoping he can manage to recover his temp and heart rate well enough... common problem in Rottis doing ET, particularly some of the bigger lads.

You are welcome. Very happy to share what I know about the ET's.

Keep your training regular and steady with your boy. It is important not to overexert him. By building up his endurance slowly he will be more likely capable of maintaining his endurance to complete the test.

M

Thanks again AS.

I am familiar with both grounds and yes, you are absolutely right, they are both lovely and mostly quite flat. :shrug:

You are welcome. Very happy to share what I know about the ET's.

Keep your training regular and steady with your boy. It is important not to overexert him. By building up his endurance slowly he will be more likely capable of maintaining his endurance to complete the test.

M

Absolutely, will do.

Once I commence my structured ET training, it will be very monitored, regular and steady.

I have a wrist GPS which sits on the front of my bike and I use this to maintain 10-12kmp/h, check distances etc. Very handy tool, love it.

He is always moderately fit, he bikes, swims, runs, plays hard etc but of course I would never keep him at ET fitness for prolonged periods. He will trained to be ready on the day.

Once again, much appreciate your assistance.

Edited by dyzney

I just thought of another tip for those doing their first ET soon.

I think it is suggested to have someone as an assistant for you on the day.

Personally I am a huge advocate for having a very switched on and experience "strapper" :shrug: to help you.

I had my strapper pinched from me by another competitor last time (to hold his dog whilst he went to the loo) :( , which meant I could not go.... not on.

A good strapper will relieve the handler of the dog the 2nd they pull in from a leg, and prevent it from becoming lactic, empty the dog, water the dog and try to keep it in shade if possible (yes there is often sun in winter too) whilst still remaining as close to your station as need be.

The strapper will calm the exciteable dog and just keep a close eye on everything. He will listen for your call by the vet etc and just remain on top of everything for the handler whilst the handler rests, toilets has a drink etc. I believe the handler should be able to get a couple of minutes rest in between legs. Or even if not rest, just take some time to regroup and clear your thoughts.

After more than a month of serious training for this event, I know I am anxious and nervous about getting through. Unlike prepping for other trials/shows it is a massive build up for a possible one shot per season at it, so handlers are super keen to get it right the first time.

So taking time with hands off the vibrating handle bars, helmet off if you wish and not having to look after your dog at the same time is definitely required.

Some dogs need to be held whilst the handler is remounting the bike. A good strapper will do this for you also and assist you get a smooth take off.

I would never go to an ET alone. My OH is my strapper and he knows exactly what I expect of him and he will ensure he is there and ready as soon as I dock at the end of a leg.

Edited by dyzney

I just thought of another tip for those doing their first ET soon.

Personally I am a huge advocate for having a very switched on and experience "strapper" :shrug: to help you.

I had my strapper pinched from me by another competitor last time (to hold his dog whilst he went to the loo) :( , which meant I could not go.... not on.

A good strapper will relieve the handler of the dog the 2nd they pull in from a leg, and prevent it from becoming lactic, empty the dog, water the dog and try to keep it in shade if possible (yes there is often sun in winter too) whilst still remaining as close to your station as need be.

The strapper will calm the exciteable dog and just keep a close eye on everything. He will listen for your call by the vet etc and just remain on top of everything for the handler whilst the handler rests, toilets has a drink etc. I believe the handler should be able to get a couple of minutes rest in between legs. Or even if not rest, just take some time to regroup and clear your thoughts.

After more than a month of serious training for this event, I know I am anxious and nervous about getting through. Unlike prepping for other trials/shows it is a massive build up for a possible one shot per season at it, so handlers are super keen to get it right the first time.

So taking time with hands off the vibrating handle bars, helmet off if you wish and not having to look after your dog at the same time is definitely required.

Some dogs need to be held whilst the handler is remounting the bike. A good strapper will do this for you also and assist you get a smooth take off.

I would never go to an ET alone. My OH is my strapper and he knows exactly what I expect of him and he will ensure he is there and ready as soon as I dock at the end of a leg.

Some excellent advice here. A strapper will make the task easier for both handler and dog. Make sure your strapper is well versed in the requirements of the dog, yourself, the vets and judge. It is important that the strapper knows exactly what is going on.

M

I have mine all organised... She has been instructed to take lots of photos and video :shrug:

Seriously though, it is very good advice.

I thought maybe we could make a list of everything you should take with you to the ET and everything you should take to the starting area for yourself and your dog. I'll start off with a few things and then I'll add everyone else's suggestions - I'll put it all onto the OP.

To take to the ET:

- The Dog!

- Bike (if riding)

- Helmet (if riding)

- Running shoes (if running)

- Appropriate size lead

- Cycle computer (optional)

- Cycle gloves (optional)

- Water for you and your dog

- Water bowl for dog

- Your strapper/helper

To have at the start line: