Prefix Suggestions

Gemelo

By the way, Comeby is one of my favourite prefixes as it's a herding term, and Comeby dogs are herding dogs.

I love it too. Sparkle showed amazing instinct when we took him for his first herding clinic.

We won't ever be breeding Pointers, we have a boy and that is MORE than enough, he is a pain in the butt! (Sorry Doodle!)

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.. Much to think about!

:laugh: No more suggestions from me you evil anti pointer person...poor doodle! :laugh:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about "Sparklin" - I think it sounds cool and you can easily add names onto it. :confused: Justpeachy / Juspeachy

My prefix (cats - which I will probably never use lol) is Amaismi which is a mish-mash of my dog's name (Maisie) and 'amaze me'. :thumbsup:

Edited by Kirty

I got my first choice just recently. It is made up of the first initial of the dogs I've owned in my life up until that point, the last three letters of my name, and the first two of my partners.... it's a made up name, but has a nice ring to it, wynwhisper. WHISP are the letters of my dogs names (both living and dead). I had a lot of things that would of been fairly breed specific such as goldnsilva and even made up names with the chemical symbols (AUNAG) which I'm glad I didn't get. I had a few that had german words (as the wei is from germany), like Drache (dragon), and some using the word hund (hound)

I'm useless at coming up with names though, most of mine were crap and there would of only been a couple that I really liked.

Ooh I do like Awaytome Benshiva! Really I would love something that links to the Aussies, just not have "aus" or "aussie" in it.

Another on my list is Persica - Its part of the latin name for Peach Tree..

I also have 'brightspark' But I think its a bit long, as everyone keeps telling me, the shorter the better, so i'm trying to stick to 8 letters or less!

Yeah, Mine and OH's names are Kristy and Andrew so theres nothing really spectacular that you can make from them!

I like it when its written too Benshiva, OH likes it as well so its on the list!!

Showdog - Im such a bad mother my dogs have never gotten to play with a frisbee, we bought sparky one but he ate it before we used it :(

Some bush flavoured ideas:

Friend always thought of fantastic names for his work horses:

View, Bushells, Quartpot, SouthernCross, Mulga Mist, Breeze, Smoko,

River system names - what is the name of your catchment? My friend used these to name his dogs:

Warrego, Barcoo, Roper, Paroo, Bollon.

Native grasses and plants: Buffel, Flinders, Mitchel, Wattle, Gidgea.

Where do you live? Get a good local geographical map and look at the names of things. Something might jump out as a good name. It's nice if it is somehow relevant to you.

Many dogs / horses in the bush are named as per where / who they came from:

Burleigh, Saxby, Beckman,

What is your ideaology? Are you breeding for colour (red dust) (silver moon), temperament (meander, take a spell), working ability (swift, Eye, balance up), show (sunburnt, far horizons)

Just some ideas. Look up some poetry that you like.

mumof3... you have some awsome ideas here for any budding prefix hunter :D

I couldn't imagine you with anything but Benshiva!

Mine was my 10th pick - Dawnus - welsh meaning gifted, talented, capable etc

I've already given you lots of suggestions but I'll try and think of some more :p

My prefix was some thing like the 27th choice - they sent the first lot back and said try again

and I dont mean to "hijack" a thread but have always wondered about a few things in regards to prefix names..

What would make a prefix name get rejected upon application? (apart from it already being used of course)

I often hear or people not getting their first or second preference so couldnt help but wonder.

And someone above mentioned the shorter the better...may I ask why?

This is taken from the bottom of the Victoria Prefix Application form.

NAMES WILL BE REJECTED FOR THE FOLLOWING REASONS:

••Similar or the same as another name currently registered in Place Australia or overseas.

•Notable person

•Name of a country

•Brand/Company name

•Surname/First name

•Pronounced the same

•Common word

•Is/incorporates a registered breed name

I know of many that fit that registered in the last 12months alone. :D

I guess it depends on if the person processing your application is in a good mood or not.

Yeah, Mine and OH's names are Kristy and Andrew so theres nothing really spectacular that you can make from them!

Ankris

Krisan

Drewkris

Krispaws

Watome has less letters than Awatome and sometimes there are advantages to being at the bottom of the alphabet! If you ever breed something other than a herding breed it might not be so apt though!

Walkon is another. Would still make sense outside the herding breeds, too.