Are There Any Shelters Just For Old Dogs ?

brightonrock

It's not a trust or a shelter but there is Senior Dog Rescue in Sydney, run by DOL member "Toots". There is a network of caring foster carers who work with her, including DOL member "Powerlegs".

I love the oldies personally and usually foster/adopt them myself.

Doggie Rescue are also known for taking old dogs from the pounds, many other groups don't but this is partly because they take a long time to rehome and often come with large vet bills, DR are the biggest private rescue in Sydney and have good resources and much support.

In Melbourne, there is "Rescued with Love", another fantastic group that take on the oldies and give them what is probably the best quality of life they've ever experienced.

Sadly, there doesn't seem to be the benefactor mentality that exists in America. I know in terms of populations they can't be compared and our philanthropic ideals are constantly being compared extremely unfavourably with those of Americans. From my time spent working as a secretary to "top end" venture capilatists, it seems to me that here in Australia benefaction seems to be aimed where people can have their names on a plaque or in an artist events program, etc etc etc. Or have State funerals :laugh::)

The only organisation I can think of which has aimed their philanthropic dollar towards animals is the Sherman family who started Voiceless, but they originally came from South Africa and have long held beliefs as to the rights of animals.

Are you asking for any particular reason, turkishdelight? Are you interested to start something, or donate to such an organisation?

If we knew a little more as to what has prompted the question, we might be able to give some more ideas.

There are sanctuaries in NSW and Victoria for farm animals such as Edgar's Mission and the Donkey Sanctuary. There would be more, and others on DOL would be able to add to these names.

Edited by Mother Moocher

I'm asking out of curiosity because a friend told me about the Cinnamon Trust in the UK where old dogs are homed for life in a country atmosphere. The setup is very nice with the emphasis on a home atmosphere with separate areas for the dogs if they want them, just like most of us do with multiple dogs.

Here's the address for more information /www.cinnamon.org.uk/home.html

It would be really great if there was a registry on DOL of any available organizations/groups etc in Australia.

no there isn't. The trust in the UK are fantastic, they rehome dogs from people who have passed away to elderly who have lost their dogs. They also have people who walk and care for dogs in an attempt to keep the elederly in their homes. Last year at crufts there was a parade of these people, owners, dogs and carers. It was fantastic. Imagine knowing that your dog would be cared fro by another person who adores dogs ( or cats too actually ) when you pass away or can no longer cope, what a relief :) I wish we had a similar programme in Australia but we don't. You can donate to the trust, they also have items for sale, I bought a few when I was there and spoke to one of the organisers for ages. It isn't just old dogs, it is any dog which belongs to the elderly. ( or cat )

It would be really great if there was a registry on DOL of any available organizations/groups etc in Australia.

no there isn't. The trust in the UK are fantastic, they rehome dogs from people who have passed away to elderly who have lost their dogs. They also have people who walk and care for dogs in an attempt to keep the elederly in their homes. Last year at crufts there was a parade of these people, owners, dogs and carers. It was fantastic. Imagine knowing that your dog would be cared fro by another person who adores dogs ( or cats too actually ) when you pass away or can no longer cope, what a relief :confused: I wish we had a similar programme in Australia but we don't. You can donate to the trust, they also have items for sale, I bought a few when I was there and spoke to one of the organisers for ages. It isn't just old dogs, it is any dog which belongs to the elderly. ( or cat )

If there is anyone out there with the time, money, space and big heart, or can organise to start something similar here Australian Pets need you !

no there isn't. The trust in the UK are fantastic, they rehome dogs from people who have passed away to elderly who have lost their dogs. They also have people who walk and care for dogs in an attempt to keep the elederly in their homes. Last year at crufts there was a parade of these people, owners, dogs and carers. It was fantastic. Imagine knowing that your dog would be cared fro by another person who adores dogs ( or cats too actually ) when you pass away or can no longer cope, what a relief :laugh: I wish we had a similar programme in Australia but we don't. You can donate to the trust, they also have items for sale, I bought a few when I was there and spoke to one of the organisers for ages. It isn't just old dogs, it is any dog which belongs to the elderly. ( or cat )

If there is anyone out there with the time, money, space and big heart, or can organise to start something similar here Australian Pets need you !

I think most rescues try as hard as they can to assist and those people are already stretched to the limit. I also don't think that Australia have the population geography to do this nationwide. Maybe a large city could start a group but with our nanny govt rules can you honestly imagine teens being allowed to be dog walkers and to visit, feed and bathe dogs ?

Not essential I do not think there is sole shelter/pound for aged dogs

Animal Aid Vic does take on old dogs-8yrs+

Keysborough Animal Shelter tries to

I'm not sure about others though

Safe Perth do too, very old dogs and I have an oldie here right now. I think our oldest rehoming was 19 :) The people who adopted her visit her old owner in her aged care facility still. Loopy Lola will tell me if this is the oldest, she may see this thread :( Animal Protection in Talbot road take old dogs ( on my signature ) it really depends on many factors but just because they are old doesn't mean they will not be given a chance. We try to rehome older dogs with older people who have lost their mate and can give a good retirement to.

I've been out and about and driving home, listening to the radio, the largest earners in the world in the sport of golf were announced. :(:):cheer: :D. All I could think of was this thread and wonder what one person could do with all the money they make. A golfer I'd never heard of (not that I am interested in Golf but you can't avoid hearing about sports when you listen to the news) earned $14million; Greg Norman who hasn't one a major tournament for years (I think he won something recently) still earned $30million and of course Tiger Woods is doing it really tough and dropped from $110million to $70million.

Just a few of them together could revolutionise the education system of a small country.

It makes me want to throw up.