Consultation Fees For 2 Dogs

kt750

Hi all,

Recently, we got a golden retriever puppy (9 weeks) in addition to our current 7 yrs old golden retriever to our family. And now that we got two dogs in the household, we've a quick question to ask if you bring 2 dogs to a vet consultation at the same time, do they charge one-time consultation fees (regardless of how many dogs) or do they tagged a fees for each dog?

we're just curious what's the norm for vet charges for consultation fees on two dogs, and if anyone of you have any experience?

cheers

kt

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you will find it varies greatly from vet to vet, also at any vet surgery different people may be charged differently (i.e. valued regualr clients eg breeders may be charged differently) and it may also vary from consultation to consultation depending on what is being done for each individual dog. As a rule though, I would be prepared to pay two consultation fees as each dog is an individual and will be examined as an individual (eg separate wellness exams, separate reatment requirements etc).

2 dogs, 2 consultation fees.

When you book, what you will find is that they will most likely be quite specific about it on the phone, particularly if you are bringing in a new dog and if you are not a real regular clinent.

The reception or vet nurse may say something to you like, "well, we will put Spot in for the 12pm appointment and Rex in for the 12.10 appointment", so this way it will be clear to you that you have 2 actual consultants, even if you go in the room once with both dogs at the same time.

It is only fair. :rofl:

Edited by dyzney

Well, technically having two dogs you are taking up two consult places, so I think it's perfectly reasonable if a vet charges two consult fees. Some have a 'long consult' fee which they might use for multiple animals and some might have a bit of a discount on the second.

Best way to find out is to ask your vet :rofl:

They take their time and chat etc. too and always ask me to bring more in when they send out reminders etc. :rofl:

My vet makes me a coffee :rofl: I'd still expect to pay for multiple consults if I took in multiple animals. If he charges me 2 consult fees for 2 dogs I'll just ask for another coffee!

As all my dogs are rescued from various pounds, I get a discount. I might take another dog in to show them the progress they have made and ask the vet something about him/her, I don't get charged, even if they do end up running their hands and stethoscope over them. I have never asked and don't expect this sort of consideration, but it helps and is very much appreciated.

The vet has always used their discretion with us....I used to work for the chain though.....that might make a difference! They would do the same for others though....say for example if some one had taken in a dog for a limp, and then taken in a second pet for something quick, then there might only be one consult fee, or perhaps they would be charged a long consult fee....more expensive than a normal consult, but cheaper than two.....

I don't think its fair at all and if anyone tried to charge me 2 x consultation fee they would know my opinion.

They charge whatever it is, seems a usual price is $70 + as something of a minimum charge, like a plumber, courier, fitter and turner, ect. Then of course the rate for additional hours or cargo decreases, well i'd expect the same from a vet, which is just how mine is. I can't remember what it was exactly but I was happy, and their standard rate is $57.

They take their time and chat etc. too and always ask me to bring more in when they send out reminders etc. :rofl:

My vet makes me a coffee :rofl: I'd still expect to pay for multiple consults if I took in multiple animals. If he charges me 2 consult fees for 2 dogs I'll just ask for another coffee!

So does my free range pig vet.

Our vet charges one consult fee.

When I lived in Sydney ours did too, and it didn't matter how many or what type of animal you took.

I don't think its fair at all and if anyone tried to charge me 2 x consultation fee they would know my opinion.

They charge whatever it is, seems a usual price is $70 + as something of a minimum charge, like a plumber, courier, fitter and turner, ect. Then of course the rate for additional hours or cargo decreases, well i'd expect the same from a vet, which is just how mine is. I can't remember what it was exactly but I was happy, and their standard rate is $57.

Why dont you think it's fair, LP? To use your example of a plumber, if I own the house next door and ring a plumber to check bathrooms in both houses, wouldnt he charge me twice?

Sure some will, but most guys will charge x amount for the first hour, and then for arguments sake 75% of the initial minimum charge for subsequent hours.

So for example, he might charge $120 minimum charge, and then $90 per hour after the first hour.

Well this is medical, not trade.

If you go to the Doc's can you get your partner seen to as well for one consult fee or reduced? I THINK NOT!! :rofl:

Edited by Staff'n'Toller