Canon Powershot Sx30 Is

MavericksMission

:eek: Me Again!

I was just wondering if anyone owns or has used the Canon PowerShot SX30 IS?

I'm looking at getting a powerful point & shoot, for taking places that I don't/can't carry around my big DSLR & lenses.

My cousin has a similar model and I had a quick play with that on Christmas Day, must say I was pretty impressed!

This camera has 35x Optical Zoom & it is 14.1 megapixels.

Her is the link anyway for anyone who would like to have a look and or give an opinion! Linky

Cheers wonderful photography DOLers :mad

I've not personally used it but I have heard very good things. Apparently the zoom is amazing but I haven't seen how it performs at it's maximum focal length so I don't know.

Google is your friend - google the name and review and some very in-the-know people will tell you how good it is.... then buy it and report back to me! :rofl:

I'd google reviews too, and find out the bad points about it (they all have bad points!) to see if those bad points are tolerable for you. I have a much older powershot (SX120 IS) but I *adore* it for slipping into my jeans pocket and still taking good pics. :rofl:

I bought my father an SX30IS for his birthday as we have the older SX10IS and he was impressed with it. All good reports from what I've heard. The best way to figure out what you want is to look at reviews online. Cameralabs have the best reviews because they compare to competing models: http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_PowerShot_SX30_IS/

Good luck!

Too big and bulky for me - if I am going to have a go everywhere camera it needs to slip into my pocket really.

But from everything I've heard about this model, it's a winner :eek:

and hence I adore my sx120IS; it fits in *jeans* pockets! A little bulky in jeans pocket, but not difficult or a problem... :laugh:

They are very very similar to the SX1 I have (when I bought it apparently the only real difference between that and the SX20 was something to do with the video - not sure about the zoom).

Anyway the SX20 or 30 woudl be fine for a carry aroudn camera compared to an SLR (though the body of my SX1 is nearly the same as the 350D without a lens) and the zoom on my SX1 was brilliant at the concert given the slow shutter speed and dying batteries. It is a little bulky though compared the the more slimline p*&s cameras. However if you had a medium sized handbag it would fit fine (I carried it around for days sqished into a small bag)

Edited by rubiton