Tis The Season For A Competition

poodlefan

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nova Scotia and Chessie??? unrelated

This is a random guess

Thats correct Toller MAY have golden in them (unproven) and Chessies MAY have Curly in them (unproven).

As PF has pointed out Goldens and Flat Coats are closely related... They started of as a colour variation and grew apart.

Chessies are from Newfs and Labs are from St Johns Water Dogs which were from newfs, but they have not believed to have interbred... although there are some rumors that people may or may not have used Chessies with Labs after world war II hence choc labs. Chessies have been breeding true and AKC registered since 1901.

Apparently Curly Coated retrievers had a part in most these breeds but the orgin of the Curly Coat is mysterious and ancient :o

ETA everyone had a bit there so FHRP, PF and ST you sort it out :laugh:

Edited by RallyValley

Nova Scotia and Chessie??? unrelated

This is a random guess

Thats correct Toller MAY have golden in them (unproven) and Chessies MAY have Curly in them (unproven).

As PF has pointed out Goldens and Flat Coats are closely related... They started of as a colour variation and grew apart.

Chessies are from Newfs and Labs are from St Johns Water Dogs which were from newfs, but they have not believed to have interbred... although there are some rumors that people may or may not have used Chessies with Labs after world war II hence choc labs. Chessies have been breeding true and AKC registered since 1901.

Apparently Curly Coated retrievers had a part in most these breeds but the orgin of the Curly Coat is mysterious and ancient :o

ETA everyone had a bit there so FHRP, PF and ST you sort it out :laugh:

Haha woohoo I got something right. That was mainly using info in past posts to deduce which two werent related at all LOL.

Edited by Keira&Phoenix

Kerry Blue Terriers are born black. Don't know a second breed though.

I think there's another that silvers out - maybe Schnauzers?? Silver poodles are born black.

Someone told me ACDs are born white but I've never seen ACD baby puppies so I don't know :laugh:

PF, yes they are born white.

OSF, you forgot one: Australian Stumpy Tail Cattle Dog.

S

Ooooh yay me!!

Ummmmmmmmmm

A setter focus... try not to google it!!

which is the oldest of the recognised setters?

name the two strains of English Setters (there is definitely more than two, but these are the well known ones - bonus point if you can name more)

and...

before guns came about for shooting game, explain how setters were used to hunt game birds?

Edited by SparkyTansy

Ooooh yay me!!

Ummmmmmmmmm

A setter focus... try not to google it!!

which is the oldest of the recognised setters?

name the two strains of English Setters (there is definitely more than two, but these are the well known ones - bonus point if you can name more)

and...

before guns came about for shooting game, explain how setters were used to hunt game birds?

Oldest - English Setter?

Irish Setter, Gordon Setter and Irish Red and White Setter

Oldest Setter breed I'm not sure?? Enlgish or Irish Red & White ('cause IRW are older than Irish so can't be the youngest :o)

Two strains? The show strain :laugh: and the Llewellin setters strain??

I suspect as with the other Pointing breeds the Setter were used with nets? The dog would "set" indicating the game and a net was thrown over the dog and birds??

Edited by FHRP

FHRP you win!!

Yes the oldest is the Irish Red and White, which also almost became extinct and had to reopen the stud books!

Yes there is a show or bench strain, but what is that also known as? - and the working strain, known as the Llewellin setter is correct...

and yes, used with nets!! they were also known to work with falconers.

Edited by SparkyTansy

Well if no one objects I will post a question to keep us rolling while we wiat for FHRP

NO GOOGLING!! I will know if you have googled :laugh:

What are the four breeds of Belgian Shepherds?

What were three capacities they served in during World War 1?

And what are three capacities they serve in today? (outside of companion animal)

Edited by Keira&Phoenix

Well if no one objects I will post a question to keep us rolling while we wiat for FHRP

NO GOOGLING!! I will know if you have googled :laugh:

What are the four breeds of Belgian Shepherds?

What were three capacities they served in during World War 1?

And what are three capacities they serve in today? (outside of companion animal)

There is Tervuin and malinois (prob spelt those wrong!)