Baby Teeth On Puppies

janeses

Just wondering i have 6 1/2 month old who still has her baby canines and her adult canines are coming up behind the babies. I have tried bones, pig ears etc to loosen the baby teeth but the baby canines are very solid. How long should i give for them to loosen? or should they be removed straight away by my vet?

I've left them longer with no issues and unless they are causing issues with the adult teeth coming in correctly I won't be in a hurry to have them pulled in the future.

Most recent was a bitch puppy and her upper baby canine came out of it's own accord at 7 months of age.

My vet and several breeder friends believe it's fine providing they aren't affecting the adult teeth coming in correctly (so you do need to keep an eye on that).

Edited by Aziah

Pems - and it was me who left it until 7 months with no issues :o

I'm not recommending it, just stating that in future (providing I'm not seeing any problems with adult teeth coming in) I won't be in such a hurry to have them pulled...not that it's something I have to deal with regularly anyway.

I understand some breeds have baby teeth pulled on a regular basis...

Edited by Aziah

I agree with Aziah, As long as the new teeth are growing in the correct position I would leave them alone because as they grow they will most likely push them out.

But once again we cannot see without a photo, just what or if there is a problem. Why don't you try and take a photo and post it here then we could better advise you?

I agree with Aziah and Fordogs, I would be giving a little more time.

The canines can take some time to finally let go as the adult push through. We have had puppies have 8 canines at once whilst the adults are pushing through and not had an alignment problem, but hey we don't know the breed you are talking about and can only talk about my breed and own dogs.

Edited by Stolzseinrotts