Advice

janeses

I sold a dog to a breeder at pet price $1000 (in my breed this is below pet price) and if pup turned out he could be bred but not shown due to an injury at 3 weeks of age. If he was bred i was to take pick puppy. At 12 weeks of age he left with all clear vet checked and had a correct scissor bite. At 9 months of age breeder contacted me to say pup mouth looked to be going out but sometimes corrects so see how it goes. I never heard from breeder until pup was 12 1/2 month old to say mouth was out and she could never breed with him. I asked for pics and got none. Now pup is 14 months old and sired a litter, it wasn't a planned mating but had to be DNA. No offer of pick puppy to me and they are keeping a puppy and running it on. They have now said if the puppy they run on mouth goes out by second teeth that they want to be reimbursed? I wasn't told about the litter by breeder, i was told by someone who saw the puppies shown at a show so puppies are 3 months.

My questions are:

Would you compensate for pet puppy if mouth went out at 12 1/2 moinths age? If so what sort of compensation as i told breeder i would no longer be asking for pick puppy so she paid $1000 for pet puppy.

Should I be held responsbile for a unplanned mating and if the puppy they keep mouth goes out should you be reimbursing them? They have mentioned that DNA cost them $600+ so i am not sure if they expect me to reimburse them for the DNA.

Any advice would be appreciated

Edited by janeses

Should I be held responsbile for a unplanned mating and if the puppy they keep mouth goes out should you be reimbursing them? They have mentioned that DNA cost them $600+ so i am not sure if they expect me to reimburse them for the DNA.

In short NO!

It's not your fault there was an unplanned mating if the dog and bitch were not on your property.

If they had no intention of mating from the dog you bred because of the mouth issue (which would probably effect showing as well?), they should have had it desexed.

If the mating was unplanned, they didn't like the sire's mouth, why are they even running a puppy on?

Smells fishy to me.

Nothing to be done.

If the dog was returned to you as having a fault & not suitable for breeding, if this was the conditions of sale something could be worked out but

The dog has sired a litter, & should not have been bred from, therefore pups sold & kept, the breeder has compensation.

The mating & DNA test was not your responsibility.

You were not offered a choice of puppy or even told about them.

If a dog is obtained for breeding & is bred from one can't in fairness ask for compensation after, especially if the problem was known beforehand.

Was your original agreement in writing? if so, i would forward them a copy of it and outline points in the agreement.

Thanks everyone for your advice, i have sent breeder an email telling her i will not take any responsibilty especially for the puppy she bred. If i had accidental mating and didn't want to use that dog because of a fault i know i wouldn't be keeping one puppy.

• 1 month later...
I sold a dog to a breeder at pet price $1000 (in my breed this is below pet price) and if pup turned out he could be bred but not shown due to an injury at 3 weeks of age. If he was bred i was to take pick puppy. At 12 weeks of age he left with all clear vet checked and had a correct scissor bite. At 9 months of age breeder contacted me to say pup mouth looked to be going out but sometimes corrects so see how it goes. I never heard from breeder until pup was 12 1/2 month old to say mouth was out and she could never breed with him. I asked for pics and got none. Now pup is 14 months old and sired a litter, it wasn't a planned mating but had to be DNA. No offer of pick puppy to me and they are keeping a puppy and running it on. They have now said if the puppy they run on mouth goes out by second teeth that they want to be reimbursed? I wasn't told about the litter by breeder, i was told by someone who saw the puppies shown at a show so puppies are 3 months.

My questions are:

Would you compensate for pet puppy if mouth went out at 12 1/2 moinths age? If so what sort of compensation as i told breeder i would no longer be asking for pick puppy so she paid $1000 for pet puppy.

Any advice would be appreciated

Bites can take up to 2 years to settle down, but you can't really predict where they will go, just give the best chance of a good mouth in the choice of breeders. I would probably look to compensate the puppy owner if the mouth continued to be out.

You're not responsible for another breeder's actions, so no you're not responsible for the accidental litter.

Was your original agreement in writing? if so, i would forward them a copy of it and outline points in the agreement.

Thanks everyone for your advice, i have sent breeder an email telling her i will not take any responsibilty especially for the puppy she bred. If i had accidental mating and didn't want to use that dog because of a fault i know i wouldn't be keeping one puppy.

So they asked about compensation but would not provide proof or further contact.

They had a litter of pups. They must have sold off any of the other pups from the litter. Unless this pup was a singleton they must have sold off or given away other pups. Are they prepared to be responsible for everything the owners of these pups do.

They kept a pup to run on and if that doesnt work out they want you to be responsible.

Not bloody likely!!!

Thats the same as me buying a car from you, 12 months later I get drunk lose control of my car, hit a tree and then say its your fault.

You are NOT resposible for their actions.I'd tell them to grow up and be adults. They have to be responsible for their own actions. You asked for photos so you could assess the problem.If they choose not to provide the photos then there isn't much else you can do. All other actions after that are their own problem.

• 2 weeks later...

So they asked about compensation but would not provide proof or further contact.

They had a litter of pups. They must have sold off any of the other pups from the litter. Unless this pup was a singleton they must have sold off or given away other pups. Are they prepared to be responsible for everything the owners of these pups do.

They kept a pup to run on and if that doesnt work out they want you to be responsible.

Not bloody likely!!!

Thats the same as me buying a car from you, 12 months later I get drunk lose control of my car, hit a tree and then say its your fault.

You are NOT resposible for their actions.I'd tell them to grow up and be adults. They have to be responsible for their own actions. You asked for photos so you could assess the problem.If they choose not to provide the photos then there isn't much else you can do. All other actions after that are their own problem.

Thanks for your reply Yaracully!

Exactly right, they asked for compensation but couldnt provide any proof/pics etc...

The litter was 3 puppies, they kept one and the other 2 were sold.

Yep told me the pup they are keeping if mouth goes undershot/overshot etc then they are asking for compensation.... UM NO WAY! There choice to run on puppy, they bred it so tehy are responsible IMO...

Yep i told them to grow up and think about what they have asked??? Haven't since heard from them...