Dog And Cat Issue - Help Please

Michelleva

We have an almost 1yo shetland sheepdog as well as three cats. The two younger cats are fine and get along with the dog no problems, in fact they all love each other. The problem lies with my oldest cat, he is a scardey cat. He's scared of everything, especially the dog. He's been that way his whole life, so getting him to change is not going to happen, its just his personality. When he comes within close proximity of the dog his instinct is to flee the situation. He's an indoor/outdoor cat.

Now when Georgia sees Oscar (aka scardey cat) she goes mental. She barks, wants to chase him just goes ballistic at him. How on earth can I train her to not be so obsessed over him? She is driving me crazy. The dog is currently recovering from patella surgery so has been confined to a big crate for a lot of the day. So she can't chase him, but that doesn't stop her barking, whining and generally carrying on a treat everytime she sees Oscar. She doesn't have the same reaction to the others. I think she sees him as weak because he won't stand up to her. With the other cats, she has great respect because she knows if she puts a paw wrong, she'll get a smack for it.

Any suggestions?

It will be hard to train her whilst she has to be crated as she will be frustrated enough at her confinement, so in the meantime try to limit her sight exposure to him. If necessary place a sheet or something around three sides of the crate so she can only see out one way. If the cat comes into her field of vision, ignore her and remove the cat to another area where she cannot see him.

I would suggest redirecting her attention to another task that will gain her a reward, so if she starts to react to the cat then get her to sit, down, shake or something that will take her attention away from the cat and reward her.

You could always go back to the basics of triangle of temptation to make her "look to you" and learn to make eye contact with you for her focus.

Not sure I've explained myself very well here so hopefully someone will pick up on what I am trying to say and make it more intelligent english for you.

It's probably more important to persist with training whilst she is crated. Training keeps her mind active which will help keep her from going nuts. As a working breed her body is wanting to run around crazy but she has to be crated. Lots and lots of mind games, treat balls and stuff like that to keep her amused. Tricks are great for getting their attention, so shake, say hello (teaching them to put their head on the knee of a person to say hi), hi fives, talk are all good ones to do whilst watching tv. For me shake is only done with the "correct" hand (my hand is put out palm up for the dog to place it's paw in mine). Hi Five can be taught for either hand. My hand is in the standard hi five position and they get paid for raising the mirror paw and place it onto my palm.

I've had a kelpie here crated for 6 weeks recovering from a broken leg. It was blooming hard work keeping her occupied whilst not really letting her "do" anything.