Leash Breakage

Staranais

I have a couple of home made long leashes for my girl - made with heavy duty 3" long steel clips from the hardware store. This type of clip: Steel dog clip

Was out doing some SAR stuff with her the other day. I tied her up to a tree with the other dogs, and left her sitting there so I could go lay some trails for her.

I was very surprised to have her turn up proudly at my side a few minutes later. I thought she must have eaten through the rope, but it turns out she'd simply broken the steel snap.

I was amazed she could do that to such a robust looking piece of equipment! :D

Has anyone else had this experience, or was my steel clip just a crappy one?!

Edited by Staranais

Not with a dog, but with horses, we just won't use steel snaps. Perhaps your dog somehow bashed the snap against a rock.

We go for a loop in the end of the lead (you can get one with the loop braided in - it's very strong), and run through the halter, back through the loop then tighten. It doesn't break. Even in a horse breaking situation.

I've seen this occur on numerous occasions, with the silver snap hooks. Which is why I don't recommend them. It is the high tensile metal - they can end up with fracture lines through them and then in one moment *poof* and they snap. Can prove quite dangerous to dog and to owner. I only recommend the brass snap hooks.

The metal itself didn't fracture, but she'd managed to simply pull the stalk of the clip right out of the swivel by pulling on it & bending the metal of the swivel, so that the clip fell out of the swivel. I had no idea that was possible! Looked like a very strong clip, & not in the least bendy.

Are the brass better, Erny? I get that they'd fracture less, that makes sense, but do you think she could pull the clip apart?

Otherwise I guess I'll need to invest in some rockclimbing gear to attach her to stuff. :D

yeah if you want to tether you should use something like this

titanium_carabiner_titanium_mountaineering_hook_metal_hook.jpg

they come in smaller sizes, just keep an eye the spring doesnt get gummed with dirt or loose but they're stronger then the swivel hooks which really are not made for tethering strong dogs. Saving that use a D shackle

I'll use one of my retired climbing ones. If it's strong enough to lower me down a rock face it should (should?) hold a malinois. :D

I've not had one break, but test it by putting a ring in it and twisting it against the latch at a bunch of angles.

I'll use one of my retired climbing ones. If it's strong enough to lower me down a rock face it should (should?) hold a malinois. :D

I've not had one break, but test it by putting a ring in it and twisting it against the latch at a bunch of angles.

Will do. :( If it comes out, I've got a few old retired screw-gate carabiners I can use. She'll be tied up proper!

Eek, break with a toy dog, Mother Moocher? No wonder it didn't hold my 28kg Ms Crazy.