Introducing A Canary To My Swf

PepitoVFR

I'm thinking of getting a canary in a cage on our back porch. I've had one before for years but that was with a big dog (Doberman) and they got on very well.

I now have a SWF and a friend who did the same thing warned me they had to get rid of the canary because their SWF became obsessed with it, either barking up at the cage or just staring at it for hours.

Anybody have any tips for a successful introduction? Thanks :rolleyes:

Depends on the dogs personality and drives.

My SBF (small black fluffy) has no drive at all and would happily co-habitate with any small critters without a problem. My JRT X Chi is the same, he is obsessed with balls but has no issue with birds, lizzards and other small animals. My JRT bitch would become obsessed with it and drive us all crazy with her whinging and my 2 big dogs (Dobe and pig dog) wouldn't care less either.

Does your dog like to chase other animals? What is it's reaction to birds that land in the yard or ones it see's on walks?

Does your dog like to chase other animals? What is it's reaction to birds that land in the yard or ones it see's on walks?

That's the thing. With some dogs, some birds, yes she goes nuts and has to chase. But other times she couldn't care less. :rolleyes:

Seems to be no rhyme or reason.

wait and see. all dogs are different. Your friend's swf may be nothing at all like yours. I had one for 15 years (rescue), he was a turd :D :( and I loved him dearly. My cockatiels wold sleep with him when they came out daily, and play and chase him. He was fantastic with them and around 4 years old when he came to us in a terrible and neglected condition. Good luck.xxxx

100_0824.jpg

Fawlty and Monah, 5 years ago.

DCP_0775.jpg

fawlty, basil and pindi

I'm thinking of getting a canary in a cage on our back porch. I've had one before for years but that was with a big dog (Doberman) and they got on very well.

I now have a SWF and a friend who did the same thing warned me they had to get rid of the canary because their SWF became obsessed with it, either barking up at the cage or just staring at it for hours.

Anybody have any tips for a successful introduction? Thanks :love:

Is that the SWF in your avatar picture...because he/she's licking his chops already in anticipation :grimace:

we have smaller dogs...none are interested in the birds

we can have our tiels out and sit on the lounge and the dogs will be next to us paying no mind

we would never ever leave our birds loose though and leave the room...

the finches used to fascinate one of our dogs but that passed after about two weeks

we have canaries too but the dogs again dont worry them

in your case keep the cage way up high where it cant be knocked over

get a male canary..make sure it is male or it wont whistle

we have a yorkshire one as well as the normal ones and he whistles so nicely

im sure youll enjoy the splendid songs coming your way