Is It Safe For A Dog To Swim In A Green Pool

Guest chillinamos

Guest choice_brandy

My 11 month old cattle dog is currently passed out dead centre in front of the air conditioner. We went for an hour run this morning along the beach and she had a good swim while we were there (she's a fantastic body surfer) Anyway, I am out trying to tidy up our yard but until after Christmas I think our pool will remain out of action.

Anyway, Chilli keeps coming out and gazing sadly at the pool... she loves "accidently" dropping her ball in and has to be a hero and go save it but I am scared that as it's going green it might not be in her best interests to allow her. I know dogs swim in dams regularly with no problems... would swimming in the pool be the same thing or should I leave the air con on for her. She's just devoured a chicken frame iceblock.

We go back down to the beach late afternoons but I am busy here at the moment and can't take her out right now.

Edited by chillinamos

Guest choice_brandy
A dam-(without the blue green algae on top) the earth and natural stuff acting as filters is ok, IMO,but a stagnant pool ..I wouldn't.It isn't terribly healthy for you either- excellent breeding ground for mozzies, now :D

That's what I thought... there is very little I can do about the pool until after Christmas though... work has dried up til Jan and I have some more pressing items to replace first after cyclone dog went on his rampage. Got my 8 year old sleeping on the floor at the moment, she had the lounge but prefers the doonas piled on the floor???

I am about to dump 40 litres of chlorine into the pool anyway so swimming will be out of the question then, I am just a sucker for the sad cattle dog eyes and thought I would check. Pool has only just started turning green, it was sparkling blue 9 days ago but without the filter in action and all the rain we've had I am going to struggle to keep it under control until the pump is repaired

Guest choice_brandy
Get her a kids clam shell from Bunnings or somewhere, that way she can play but not in ikky green water.

That's her Xmas pressy... Cyclone dog ate 2 clams while he was resident. Yesterday I conceded and we went to the beach earlier than planned.

Just another quick question somebody might be able to help me with... does anyone know if having very little hair would make her feel the heat more or less. She is almost completely bald underneath and any hair we manage to grew gets rubbed out.

dams aren't really that great either - our lab used to go and swim in our dams, and every time she would end up with ear infections, so personally, would not be letting her anywhere near it unless you want some nice expensive vet bills

Get her a kids clam shell from Bunnings or somewhere, that way she can play but not in ikky green water.

That's her Xmas pressy...

Give it to her early. She won't mind :laugh:.

Just another quick question somebody might be able to help me with... does anyone know if having very little hair would make her feel the heat more or less. She is almost completely bald underneath and any hair we manage to grew gets rubbed out.

A picture would help. Depending on whether it is abnormally 'bald' or not, it could be the indicator of a health issue.

Guest choice_brandy

That's her Xmas pressy...

Give it to her early. She won't mind :laugh:.

A picture would help. Depending on whether it is abnormally 'bald' or not, it could be the indicator of a health issue.

There are pictures in the health forums... we are not sure what the issue is but the only symptom so far is hair loss and she's had that since she was 8 weeks old. Her brother is exactly the same, no itch. Possible thyroid issue but we have decided to send serum to the USA for diagnosis when they are 12 months. Have emailed the lady who does the tests and she thinks we should wait til then.

In the meantime Chilli is on homeopathic medication as nothing else the vets have tried has made any difference at all. she is desexed and definitely not overweight or slowing down... you can through her ball for hours and I'll guarantee you'll knock up before she does. It's frustrating not knowing but I love her and take the rude comments on the chin :laugh:

Guest choice_brandy

Old pic but her hair loss it only slightly worse than this at the moment.... sometimes it extends under her neck and over her shoulders... and at the moment her tail is completely bald :laugh:

post-33883-1292283981_thumb.jpg

Old pic but her hair loss it only slightly worse than this at the moment.... sometimes it extends under her neck and over her shoulders... and at the moment her tail is completely bald :laugh:

That, coupled with your description above, doesn't seem 'normal' to me. (I'm presuming the hair loss is symmetrical?) I can see in that photo where she's thinning from the arm pits up through the front of her shoulders. She's 11mo now and you say that was an 'old' picture. My first thought would have been to rule out thyroid dysfunction as a culprit, but she's pretty young for clinical signs to be showing as they are (IME - I'm not a Vet). But then my boy had skin issues very young and it seems that these might have been related to thyroid issues. I had him checked at 10mo. His levels came back as "excellent". But that was really early to check for thyroid (and so I knew the risk was that they might not show up in the blood tests even though I sent them to USA where the testing and analysis is more thorough) so I had them checked again 12 months later. The second tests showed thyroid levels as "very low".

I think if it were me I'd have the tests done at least to see if they can be ruled out (and if negative now, and nothing else can be found in the meantime, then test again later) BUT I would ONLY have them sent to Dr Jean Dodds in the USA. Our testing facilities do not cater for a full blood panel test when it comes to thyroid. Our analysis criteria is a bit questionable too.

Edited by Erny

Guest choice_brandy

That, coupled with your description above, doesn't seem 'normal' to me. (I'm presuming the hair loss is symmetrical?) She's 11mo now and you say that was an 'old' picture. My first thought would have been to rule out thyroid dysfunction as a culprit, but she's pretty young for clinical signs to be showing as they are (IME - I'm not a Vet). But then my boy had skin issues very young and it seems that these might have been related to thyroid issues. I had him checked at 10mo. His levels came back as "excellent". But that was really early to check for thyroid (and so I knew the risk was that they might not show up in the blood tests even though I sent them to USA where the testing and analysis is more thorough) so I had them checked again 12 months later. The second tests showed thyroid levels as "very low".

I think if it were me I'd have the tests done at least to see if they can be ruled out (and if negative now, and nothing else can be found in the meantime, then test again later) BUT I would ONLY have them sent to Dr Jean Dodds in the USA. Our testing facilities do not cater for a full blood panel test when it comes to thyroid. Our analysis criteria is a bit questionable too.

Her thyroid has been checked here and come back as excellent, I have spoken to Jane Dodd (I think thats her name) in the states and she suggested waiting til they are at least 12 months before sending serum for more thorough tests. Chilli has also been tested for allergies, had her bloods checked for heavy metals... had a bazillion skin scrapings... she has seen 4 different vets and a dermatologist. Apart from the hair... She has no other symptoms... her hairloss isn't as bad as her brothers but Chilli is on a better diet than him and on the homeopathy stuff 3 times a day, we also rub her skin with emu oil moisturiser. I am fairly certain the homeopathy stuff only addresses the symptoms, not the cause but it's something.

This is her at at 3 months, I have a picture somewhere at 8 weeks and she was always bald underneath

post-33883-1292285127_thumb.jpg

Ok - you're on to it and sounds like you've done and are doing what you can. To answer your question, I wouldn't have thought that hot weather would have anything to do with your dog's coat thinning out/balding as much as it is. If that were the case, we'd have a lot of bald but otherwise "hairy breed" dogs running around, I would think.

Ok - you're on to it and sounds like you've done and are doing what you can. To answer your question, I wouldn't have thought that hot weather would have anything to do with your dog's coat thinning out/balding as much as it is. If that were the case, we'd have a lot of bald but otherwise "hairy breed" dogs running around, I would think.

The question was would the dog feel the heat more or less with the hair loss it has, not if the hot weather would cause it :laugh:

I would imagine the answer would she would cool quicker once out of the sun/heat. But I would also imagine she would heat up faster when out in the heat as she has no coat to insulate her and which means of course she's also at risk of sun burn.

Edited by Erny