Best Tick Preventative

Ons

I'm taking my golden retreiver Onslow with me over to the Coast for Christmas. We will be away about 5 days.

I've realised that his monthly preventative medication doesn't include ticks so what's the best thing for those few days? We live where there are no paralytic ticks. He is a large golden retriever. I doubt, much to his disappointment that he will be swimming whilst he is away.

Thank you :thumbsup:

I'm taking my golden retreiver Onslow with me over to the Coast for Christmas. We will be away about 5 days.

I've realised that his monthly preventative medication doesn't include ticks so what's the best thing for those few days? We live where there are no paralytic ticks. He is a large golden retriever. I doubt, much to his disappointment that he will be swimming whilst he is away.

Thank you :D

Proban or Advantix or both together if you want to make doubly sure...plus twice daily searching. Proban is the best if he might be swimming but has to be given every 48 hourly. If you're only going for a few days & not swimming, then one of the better tick collars like Killtik (spelling???) would be sufficient together with twice daily searching.

Just a simple permoxin rinse or spray before you head off, and after you get home, the less toxic shit in your dogs system the better hey.

Its also good for fleas stopping fly's biting mozzies and midges/sandflys hate it. so its good when you get back from hols too..

I'd advise the Permoxin too Onstill. Put it on a few days before you leave and again while you are there.....and after a swim if he does manage to get into water. If I remember rightly the instructions suggest using it once a week.

You must check him all over too....particularly inside his ears, under his collar and under his legs.

When we went away last year, I went to a vet and had a long chat about various products.

I decided on the Proban for 2 reasons- 1. she was going to be swimming a lot so I wasn't keen to use a spray on product and 2. We have a cat and Advantix is highly toxic to cats.

Giving her tablets every 48 hours (including several days prior to exposure to ticks) wasn't a problem for me. It was only for a couple of weeks.

Short duration requirement?

Healthy dog?

Long coated dog?

Swimming?

I'd go the Proban/Advantix double. That's what I opt for.

A short term chemical cocktail sure beats tick paralysis. You can use Permoxin as a rinse and on a long coated dog you'd pretty much have to saturate the coat for it to be effective.

Oh, forgot very important question - what monthly prevention are you using now?

Edited by poodlefan

Just a reminder that Advantix is highly toxic to cats so if you own a cat you should not use it.

Edited by ✽deelee

Just a reminder that Advantix is highly toxic to cats so if you own a cat you should not use it.

I no longer have a cat.

Was thinking about the OP. :D

When I went to NSW Hunter Valley for Agility training seminar, I gave my dog proban tablets, which I started just before we left, forgot to give her some on the day we left the area but she is ok. The spot on I use is revolution which does not cover for ticks.

Two WA dogs at the same venue got tick problems but I don't know what they were using if anything.

There were several vets there, and I copied what they did as far as checking dog went. I mostly used feel because while her coat is very short, it is very thick and hard to see her skin through it except on her tummy. Also checked around and inside lips, eyes and ears and the tail area. I didn't find anything but others did. Blech.

We (dog) did go swimming a lot and it was extremely wet there - rained several times a day and the whole grounds were sodden.

I got the proban (and some of those tick twister things) from vetproductsdirect.com.au

http://search.vetproductsdirect.com.au/vet/Tick%20Remover