Scab Like Stuff On My Dog

giraffez

I've noticed while playing with my older dog today that he has alot of almost scab like stuff on his body. I'm not sure whether it is scab but alot has surfaced particularly around the side of the neck. I haven't noticed this 2 days before when i was brushing him. He is wormed and flea treated

I'm really worried, what is this?

Edited by giraffez

You've just got a new puppy, huh?

Any chance puppy is chewing on older dog?

My boy did this to my girl when he was a puppy. She ended up with a pink face, was a rather special look ;) He also did most of his teething chewing on her :( Dozer (being the strange girl that she is) seemed to have no qualms whatsoever :mad

Photo? In any case- a vet check will help...

I seem to remember he had problems before -after grooming/bathing??? Or am I mistaken?

I can't quite take a photo. It doesn't really show as its right on the skinand under the fur.

He had a little one before behind this leg when he was little but i didn't mention it in this forum before as i thought he might have accidently hurt himself. There are too many on his neck this time to be accidental.

I was going to clip him down tomorrow but worried that it may hurt him when i do it. When i touch it, it doesn't irritate him at all.

You've just got a new puppy, huh?

Any chance puppy is chewing on older dog?

My boy did this to my girl when he was a puppy. She ended up with a pink face, was a rather special look :confused: He also did most of his teething chewing on her :mad Dozer (being the strange girl that she is) seemed to have no qualms whatsoever ;)

I did think about that too. but there is quite a lot there! and no bleeding. The pup has a tendency to want to bite but when he does my older dog turns him around onto the floor into submissive position. No yelping from the big dog during play either.

My pup does go for the side of the neck though when he tries to bite. oh god, what can i do? :(

I just noticed it or would have made an appt to see the vet earlier. Will definitely take him to the vet.

Edited by giraffez

My pup does go for the side of the neck though when he tries to bite. oh god, what can i do? :(

A very non-scientific way to check if it is the pup..............................

Colour older dog's face/neck in with a non-toxic texta or crayon (lipstick, food colouring??) and see what colour puppy's mouth area is tomorrow. :mad

Then, if it is puppy, put bitter apple or something else yuk tasting on it??

A very non-scientific way to check if it is the pup..............................

Colour older dog's face/neck in with a non-toxic texta or crayon (lipstick, food colouring??) and see what colour puppy's mouth area is tomorrow. :mad

Then, if it is puppy, put bitter apple or something else yuk tasting on it??

my puppy's colour is black... haha not very easy to show a colour on his mouth. But i'm sure he often jump on my older dog around that area. I have checked the rest of the body and no scabs visible.... just around the neck and under the chin.

Yup, typical area for puppy play nips to leave scabs - probably aren't being done hard enough for your older dog to bother about, so he doesn't floor the pup until he gets rougher with him.

Give your dog a good shampoo to get the scabs off before clipping him (they shouldn't be deep or thick scabs, so won't cause him a problem when clipping) I would however, use a longer blade to clip him with, so he still has some fur to protect him from the puppy teeth.

Once pup looses the shark teeth, he won't have any more scabs.

I'd be inclined to give the area a bath/rinse with Calendula Tea. The scabs look a bit greasy? That is sometimes a sign of secondary infection. The Calendula treatment often helps tremendously in stopping that.

I'd be inclined to give the area a bath/rinse with Calendula Tea. The scabs look a bit greasy? That is sometimes a sign of secondary infection. The Calendula treatment often helps tremendously in stopping that.

No, no grease at all. Its all dried up. Only small flakes beginning to scatter and fall out

Then it may well be marks from your little nipper. I'd be inclined to just keep an eye on them to watch for (a) them disappearing and (b) for any signs of new ones developing. But if you're not sure, still shouldn't hurt to treat them to a Calendula Tea rinse. :D