Problems With Crate

Hi,

We have been trying to crate train our 5month golden retriever. When he was younger he would happily play and sleep in his crate with the door closed (given kongs, chew toys etc). Now he is a bit older he refuses to be in there if the door is closed. Will bark and carry on (he has a very loud bark). THis is at night time too so it is hard to ignore.

He will go in his crate and sleep/chew if the door is open. He has been sleeping in our room on a bed/mat which he stays on all night but we would prefer him to start sleeping in the crate again with the door shut (which is also in our room). Last night he just chose to alternate between the crate and his mat...

Not sure where to go from here. I think he could possibly be getting to hot in his crate?

he's protesting because you've chopped and changed, now he wants to go back to deciding where he wants to sleep. Put him in there a little at a time during the day, get him used to it and put him in there at night with his bone and thats that. He will have to get used to being in there wether he likes it or not.

be strong and ignore him. My boy could cry all night - that is no exageration (sp). For three nights he cried, barked, thew tanties etc.

Now I say "crate time" and he runs to his crate.

Some helpers:

* never use the crate as a punishment

* never let him out if he is crying/barking etc. Wait until he stops, praise and let him out.

* I gave mine a little treat if they ran into their crates nicely. Soon crate = a very nice thing.

Good luck!