One Long Or Several Smaller Walks?

Guest Willow

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer long walks - we get further away from home and they see new sights.

However with a couple of my dogs aging now, I expect I will have to take the seniors on their own shorter walk.

I'm the same now PF, the youngers guys can easily handle an hour + of running but Clover is buggered after that amount. A couple of times now i have taken her for a walk before taking the others for their run, but she was not impressed with staying behind :rofl:.

I personally like one big walk for everyone if i can.

Edited by Clover

Shorter walks.

If we attempted more than about a half hour walk, I would have to bring them home in a shopping trolley. :rofl:

it would have to be a shopping trolley with a sofa in it :(

Depends on the dogs really ......... I love long walks on the beach as does the GSD , but my big boy doesnt cope with it so well and does a sit down after half hour . Even when we walk him to school on a cool day ( only 15 mins away ) , he nearly always sits for a rest halfway home :rofl:

Poor Buddy.....such long, useless legs!!!! :o

I feel guilty after reading this thread! My two get one walk a day at night that is between 30 mins and an hour depending on what I'm up to. Same goes for the weekend really. In summer all walks are pretty much offlead and in winter all walks are on lead during the week and offlead on the weekends.

I feel bad too!!! :rofl: We're a bit limited now because of the baby......if the weathers crappy, I can't take her with me, and I can't leave her at home, so we all stay home.....

I would ideally like to go for two shorter walks (old dog, and small, easily tired dog) but we settle for a one medium walk a day most days

When I do a lead walk which I try to do most days but have been sick for a while, I do a good hours walk at as fast a walk as I can.

We have 5 acres around the house so they run around and play with each other, I throw balls etc and we do training. They can have 5 or more "exercise sessions a day, but not all are walking on a lead.

Edited by OSoSwift

Shorter walks.

If we attempted more than about a half hour walk, I would have to bring them home in a shopping trolley. :mad

it would have to be a shopping trolley with a sofa in it :)

Depends on the dogs really ......... I love long walks on the beach as does the GSD , but my big boy doesnt cope with it so well and does a sit down after half hour . Even when we walk him to school on a cool day ( only 15 mins away ) , he nearly always sits for a rest halfway home :D

Poor Buddy.....such long, useless legs!!!! :laugh:

I feel guilty after reading this thread! My two get one walk a day at night that is between 30 mins and an hour depending on what I'm up to. Same goes for the weekend really. In summer all walks are pretty much offlead and in winter all walks are on lead during the week and offlead on the weekends.

I feel bad too!!! :laugh: We're a bit limited now because of the baby......if the weathers crappy, I can't take her with me, and I can't leave her at home, so we all stay home.....

I would ideally like to go for two shorter walks (old dog, and small, easily tired dog) but we settle for a one medium walk a day most days

I shouldn't feel too bad ......mine don't get walked every day but they don't really care as long as they are with us lounging around . The useless one won't go out if it is a bit too warm or if it is wet.......I even bought him a big posh drizabone dog coat with sheepskin lining .......no go :D How anyone thought he would make a hunting dog I will never know ........probably why he dumped them all :D

Whats the longest walk? no kidding i walked 4 hrs once, with sniff and pee breaks, god my hips were sore lol.

Yep about 4 hours here as well, Clover and I used to always go on realy long walks when she was a youngster :(.