Show Grooming Products And Tips

pixie_meg

Thankyou... he has some bad habits that we can't seem to break.

I'm not sure if the scratching is actual itching or habit because he doesn't scratch anywhere but the back of his neck.

I washed him every 2 weeks with triocil and no change.

I tried not bathing him.

I tried not using conditioners or sprays.

I have changed his diet several times.

Still with the scratching.

I think I will give both those Plush Puppy products a try, he also sucks on his back feet (yes, actually lays there and sucks on them) so we are getting bitter spray for that too.

Who said Cresteds were an easy breed! :D

Edited by Shaar

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just looked at photos of the Havanese judging at Eukanuba. I have never seen whiter whites!! Only a handful of dogs had mouth staining. I would give my non-grooming arm to find out how they get rid of moosh staining!!!

Possiably adding a little Apple Cider Vinegar to the dogs water, changes the PH balance in the water with the added benefit of trace minerals, extra shine on the coat and flea control. Won't change the colour of hair already discoloured but should help reduce adding to it, possiably Sards soap on the affected area might help reduce what is already there. Also look at changing the way dog's water is provided so they aren't getting so wet when they take a drink, ie perhaps a larger version of a rabbits water bottle. Also avoid feeding anything with Beet juice in the ingredience.

Last show we used fidos whitener only and then :laugh: Schwarzkopf liquid silk conditioner. He came out so nice. I figure if i try these human ones and they don't go so well i can still use them on myself but tests of them are working out nicely. Nice flowing coat.

We had our first show a couple of weeks ago and in the days leading up to the show...and on the day itself, it was wet and muddy.

Even though we washed her and concentrated on her white feet to get rid of the mud stains, they wouldnt totally wash out.

Even after washing again the next morning, on the day of the show.

Upon getting to the show and while waiting around for our go, I went to look at the cart selling leads and show supplies etc.

I came across Plush Puppy Wonder Wash (self rinsing shampoo) and as I saw it needed no water to rinse off, I thought I would buy it

and give it a go in trying to get her feet a little cleaner.

All I can say is it worked wonders in removing the stain AND seemed to make her white, whiter than ever.

I think a lot of that would be the fact that it is purple in color which I understand can help fade the yellow and bring out the white in hair/coats.

Was easy to use...simply spray on...work into a lather and then dry off.

Sorry if its already been mentioned...I just came across this thread and thought I would share my experience..

now to have fun reading back and seeing some other great tips in grooming etc before a show!

• 2 months later...

reviving an old topic i know but Shaar i saw ur doggy was scratching his coat out and sucking feet - have u seen the lil socks yorkie people use?? they scratch their facial hair to shreds so put lil socks on their feet and they are held on with a hair tie obviously not too tight! And they can scratch but the coat is protected and the feet sucking will be no more! - this is obviously a temporary fix and not possible for when u are out and about but overnight and whilst he is lazing about at home and in the trolley or crate at shows :rofl:

My whitening shampoo is the easiest ever!

Because I have non-coated breeds, I don't have to worry so much about differing textures etc.

So, any old family (read cheap ;) ) shampoo to fill a 1Lt bottle with half a bottle of Blue-o mixed in, if at any time the shampoo I'm using causes dandruff, which of course looks fantastic on Black or Liver patches :laugh: 1 part Listerine to 20 parts water in a spray bottle and smoothed over with a cloth, it is the best quick fix for it :o

NB: Listerine MUST be the original, not the green one!

Ahhh the joys of white dogs :laugh:

Personally, I get the initial dirt out with a normal shampoo, then I use Champion Tails Silver Highlights shampoo. It takes some working through but it's excellent stuff. Then I use Champion Tails White Cover Creme to touch up the hocks and around the muzzle and any area that isn't quite white. ;) Then I need traction to fix my back up@!