Show Grooming Products And Tips

pixie_meg

I know theres been a few topics about preferred shampoos but i know that now that i'm showing my boy i've changed my shampoo. I guess i think theres a difference in shampoo to get the dog clean and shampoo that makes the coat look great and keeps it in great condition . I also didn't use a conditioner until now.

So i'm curious what you showies use for showing. I know many recommend groomers products.

Also i thought it would be great if people could offer newbies some hints on grooming. I know i feel clueless a lot of the time as a first timer.

So at the moment i don't think i'm using the best but its all i can afford right now and i'll just use it till i run out i think which wont be too far away given how grotty this rain has made him. so heres what i do at the mo.

dog: borzoi

whitener: Fidos whiten and brightener - on the white areas that tend to sop up the red mud.

Shampoo: Professional groomers Long coat - on all other areas

Conditioner: :cheer: the same one i use: Tresseme naturals - everywhere but diluted

i think i'll try the groomers royal jelly one next.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've used Plum White, Plush Puppy Whiting and I am really looking at Animal House and Isle of Dog Whiting next, I've been told good things.

I dont' use conditioner as it makes the coat too heavy and soft, taking away the natual texture so I use Plush Puppy Sea breeze oil and that keeps the coat healthy and nice

I love laser lites and pure paws

And whenever i see your dachshund in your sig i always think how good its coat looks.

Thanx.. He had such a wonder coat... shame its not like that now after using isle of dog.. But i wont go there lol

whitener: Fidos whiten and brightener - on the white areas that tend to sop up the red mud.

I could check, but I seem to recall that that is not allowed.

really, i'd be interested to know. I generally just use it to get rid of any red mud and then use the other shampoo. Its not adding white to the coat. which plenty of people do with zinc or chalk it seems.

i found this in the CCCQ rules book

A person shall be deemed guilty of an offence against these Rules if he exhibits a dog in the following

circumstances:

n. if any dye, colouring, lightening or darkening matter has been used and remains on any part of the dog

at the time of exhibition:

from that i'd say the whitener would be fine since it is not a dye or bleach and does not remain on the dog. Really it just makes the hair very clean and bright. not permanently altering the coat.

I wash out my shampoo, the effect of the shampoo remains. Nothing wrong with that.

Sure, not technically.

But the brighteners in laundry detergents are fluorescents. That's what make your clothers look bright and white. The fluorescents remain on the fibres.

It's very hard to 'police' unless it is 'flaming' obvious.

And ppl still chalk as though ignorance is bliss.

Edited by pewithers

PM, Fido's is fine, a lot of people use it and if it works for you I'd stick with it. A lot of people do the feet over twice. So, wash the dog including feet, but then wash the feet specifically again as well.

I think the spirit of that regulation is that the product should not be used in an attempt to deceive the judge. Getting red dirt out of a dog's feet is not attempting to deceive the judge. The reg is designed to stop people doing things like blacking up a butterfly nose or dying in a desirable coat colour.

PM, Fido's is fine, a lot of people use it and if it works for you I'd stick with it. A lot of people do the feet over twice. So, wash the dog including feet, but then wash the feet specifically again as well.

I think the spirit of that regulation is that the product should not be used in an attempt to deceive the judge. Getting red dirt out of a dog's feet is not attempting to deceive the judge. The reg is designed to stop people doing things like blacking up a butterfly nose or dying in a desirable coat colour.

does the effect of the whitener still remain if you then wash with a different shampoo for the second wash. just curious as i'd like to use it on his neck but also use the long coat shampoo for the second rinse but didn't know if that'd make the first wash pointless.