Satin Balls Query

Stitch

Can anyone tell me where I can buy the 'flavourless' or 'unsulfured' molasses??

I can only find plain old molasses or organic molasses.

Also what variations to the original satin balls have you tried with good results??

I am now feeding these to my 'problem child' and (crossed fingers) they are currently well received however I have never been a fan of feeding dogs molasses because of the possible teeth problems that may ensue.

I have only ever used plain old molasses the same as I use for the horses. I also have only ever used it as a very temporary thing for a particularly problem dog, never long term, used as such I don't think the sugar would be an issue.

Yes, I agree, short term use of molasses would be OK but in the past I have fed Livamol which has molasses in it and blame that (rightly or wrongly) for one of my dogs having tartar problems.

I remember reading that some people feed satin balls to skinny dogs on a permanent basis - and I can see nothing wrong with that except for the molasses component especially as you can add all sorts of things into the mix to get the vitamins & minerals into the dog.

Would really like to get an alternative to the molasses but have got my skinny girl eating 2 a day and don't want to go backwards considering satin balls are the only thing she will eat except for chicken necks and it has taken me ages to get to this stage.

My girl has been having a tablespoon of Livamol every day for two years, & she has beautiful teeth...lovely coat too

If you Google "satin balls malasses" up come lots of info about them plus recipes.

Edited by sheena

The jurys out as far as I am concerned about Livamol (molasses) causing tartar and dental problems.

I found Livamol very good but the two dogs I fed it to both developed tartar problems, one of them had further dental issues so I blamed it on the Livamol, as I said, rightly or wrongly.

When I stopped feeding it to them, and after the one with the dental problem had two teeth removed, the tartar problem resolved in both, so that's all I can go by.

It will be interesting to see if there are any issues from the molasses.

Thanks for the link Nekhbet.

ETA: Thanks for that Sheena

Edited by STITCH

What is your recipe dianed?

Sorry for the delay in replying, The recipe I use is one I got online. I use it to keep weight on my 13yo gsd. Its not something I would normally feed but she loves them, anything to keep weight on her! I adapt my own quantities, basically its 1kg Hamburger mince, pkt cream cheese, 6 egg yolks, Cup of wheatgerm powder. Cup of oats soaked in milk. Cup of Peanut butter. I got it off the Lowchensaustralia.com web page. Use those food plastic gloves to mix & roll into balls, its much easier.