Retrieving & Field Training Talk

Yes :rofl: Be prepared... I will hate lots of questions closer to getting the pup. :)

AOK.

Best to buy working lines, natural instinct, better drive, memory etc.

The dam I am looking at has multiple dual ch's in the 5 gen pedigree :thumbsup: And a full brother to the dam is in the field and doing really well. Unfortunately with a small breed, a small genepool and a dog that I can show too I don't think I will be able to get a pup with field trialling dam/sire.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes :rofl: Be prepared... I will hate lots of questions closer to getting the pup. :)

AOK.

The dam I am looking at has multiple dual ch's in the 5 gen pedigree :thumbsup: And a full brother to the dam is in the field and doing really well. Unfortunately with a small breed, a small genepool and a dog that I can show too I don't think I will be able to get a pup with field trialling dam/sire.

There are a lot more rough hunters around in Brittanys than triallers in Australia (ie people who go hunting with the dog but never near a trial)

Yes :) Be prepared... I will hate lots of questions closer to getting the pup. ;)

AOK.

The dam I am looking at has multiple dual ch's in the 5 gen pedigree :hug: And a full brother to the dam is in the field and doing really well. Unfortunately with a small breed, a small genepool and a dog that I can show too I don't think I will be able to get a pup with field trialling dam/sire.

There are a lot more rough hunters around in Brittanys than triallers in Australia (ie people who go hunting with the dog but never near a trial)

That's good to know! :thumbsup: I knew of a couple of dogs that were rough hunters (one I mentioned above). Maybe I should clarify for the people with other breeds that in Brittany's there isn't really working vs show I believe it's more just chatting to people and finding out about the dogs like helen mentioned above and looking at pedigrees to get the best potential - as well as talking to expirenced breeders!

Edited by RallyValley

I noticed in TSD's latest video and I think she mentioned it somewhere in this thread... is it necessary to teach retrieve from right heel position? Will you ever send from right in the field?

Necessary? No. Useful? Maybe :hug: It can and is done, but not often. Sometimes it is advantageous to be able to heel and send your dog from your right, due to location of cover, best view etc. but I have seen it very rarely. With a smaller breed like the Working ESS it may be more useful where clumps of grass may hamper their view more than the larger breeds. Maybe it's done more commonly in other states?

I noticed in TSD's latest video and I think she mentioned it somewhere in this thread... is it necessary to teach retrieve from right heel position? Will you ever send from right in the field?

Necessary? No. Useful? Maybe :hug: It can and is done, but not often. Sometimes it is advantageous to be able to heel and send your dog from your right, due to location of cover, best view etc. but I have seen it very rarely. With a smaller breed like the Working ESS it may be more useful where clumps of grass may hamper their view more than the larger breeds. Maybe it's done more commonly in other states?

Agreed. You are unlikely to need it in Novice and perhaps it might come in handy in Restricted. However I think it would be useful in All Age where you might have a couple of very tight marks that have to be collected in order. I've seen some very tough runs in AA!!! Plus, I can't resist a challenge and it makes for a balanced dog for other sports such as agility.

I have only seen one handler at one trial, line their dog on the right hand side. It was during a Championship trial and it made absolutely no difference at all to the retrieve, as the dog overshot the mark by at least 80 metres. All the others, including myself, lined our dogs in the usual way, on the left hand side. It is purely an individual thing, and may be beneficial at some point in trials. I certainly feel teaching a dog to heel on the right does no harm, but being right handed if the dog is sitting on my right to see the mark, then I would be firing right over its head, and unless I had trained solidly for that, I wouldn't feel comfortable with it.

I have only seen one handler at one trial, line their dog on the right hand side. It was during a Championship trial and it made absolutely no difference at all to the retrieve, as the dog overshot the mark by at least 80 metres.

:) Oops ;) Sounds like something my boys would do :D

First retrieving trials of the season this weekend in NSW, wishing I was there :D Have consoled myself with some field training instead :grouphug: Hope to hear from rubyroo and perhaps mollipop on the trial???

Edited by FHRP

Hi all, we had a great weekend! Our first time in restricted and I was pretty happy with Stingers work. Over the 2 days we had 3 runs each day, he managed to complete 4 runs well, and did pick up one of the two birds to pick up in the other 2 runs. Sunday 1st run was pretty tough, the hill was almost vertical and covered in blackberry bushes, only 1 dog out of the 4 of us managed to finish this run, those 'working' English Springers are just amazing to watch! There are 2 competing in NSW at the moment and both are just great. The weather couldnt have been better and the company was great, so many new faces in Novice hopefully they will all stick around for sometime. Mollipop had some great runs, but she can tell you all in a little more details! Im so looking forward to the next trial!! Hope you all had a great weekend also.

We also had a great weekend. The weather was perfect, cloudy but no rain. I still managed to get a very red nose though.

There were 13 competitors in novice. On the first day after the first run, there were only 3 dogs left, 1 of which was my girl! Sadly she missed the 2nd bird but did a great water run for her 3rd. On Sunday she got her 3 birds so I was thrilled about that. We have overcome her breaking problem - I simply changed the "wait" to "stay". I apparently lost points for not "shooting from the shoulder". It's a bit hard to practice shooting a gun in the middle of Sydney.

I also had my young male entered and he was hopeless, though he did manage to get 1 bird over the weekend. He is an entire male and just wants to run around and pee everywhere. Any tips to stop this ?

On Saturday only 1 dog qualified in novice but on Sunday there were 8 or 9, so we all improved over the weekend.

At the moment there are a few very experienced handlers in novice with new dogs. The prospect of gaining 3 wins to move on seems quite hopeless while competing against these people. The best I can do is just let my dogs enjoy the sport and learn as much as I can so maybe I can be competitive with a new puppy.

Sounds like a great weekend rubyroo and mollipop!! Well done to both of you, excellent effort. Now I really wish I had been there :laugh:

You'll find those experienced trialers will get through Novice pretty early in the season mollipop, it happens every year. Some don't even stick around for the three wins. At least you have the QND title to aim for now :)

QND = Qualifying Novice Dog, introduced last year.

From the ANKC rule book:

The title of Qualifying Novice Dog (QND) may be awarded to any dog that has completed five (5)

Novice Stakes to the Judge's satisfaction, (and awarded by at least two different judges) having shown

that they are steady to shot, under reasonable control and not "hard-mouthed" nor gun shy.

The records required to apply for a Qualifying Novice Dog title are the responsibility of the

owner/handler. The title of Qualifying Novice Dog is not retrospective and can only be awarded on basis

of results obtained from 1 January 2010.

No wins needed just 'finshes', so keep track of them!!

Edited by FHRP

Okay, thanks for that.

I just keep my own records and don't need qualifying cards, right?

I think you need to ask the judge to sign something for you :) You've basically got to chase it up, not the other way around. I'm happy for the new title, gives me something to aim for :laugh: If I ever start trialling!!! It's such a daunting thing.

A very nice afternoon of training......Mr TSD came to the sports oval with me and Little Em did some lovely long marks. Must take some more video as she is so much quicker to line up and flies out and back with so much more confidence even though we've barely done any work on them. Sent Mr TSD off to do the grocery shopping (smart eh!) and worked on some sighted blinds - 2 small piles at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock (learning 'no') and later sending to a pile at a greater and greater distance alternating between left and right sided sends. We also did some handling - smart cookie is trying to predict whether I'm going to send her left or right back so lots of praise for holding still until I give the signal. Finally I threw a dummy to the right and then one to the left but sent her to pick up the one on the right first. Oh and lots of down time and cuddles between each exercise. All good :thumbsup: