Retrieving & Field Training Talk

yes, I would be interested in the RATG if it was at a retrieving trial... but I would say that you would probably get more people "giving it a go" at a closer location. I know that isn't as easy on the judges but it might bring more numbers and give more people a taste for a retrieving trial.

I do also agree with this too :thumbsup:

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe an idea to target the Gundog club or one of the obedience clubs to see if they would run one after their obedience trials. That way it will be at K9 grounds perhaps.

They do that here LT and it seems to work well and generate interest. The Lab club held one with their National. A few at the Canine grounds and competitors were then happy to follow it to a country obedience trial.

Maybe an idea to target the Gundog club or one of the obedience clubs to see if they would run one after their obedience trials. That way it will be at K9 grounds perhaps.

it still needs a retrieving judge so we would still need a retrieving judge to be happy to travel to another location, even if we went to another club with the proposal for the RATG.

Been a bit quiet in here lately!!

Well a bit of a breakthrough for Lulu and I - she's finally started to become interested in retrieving. She showed very little interest for a while.

We are still working hard and slowly through the "hold" exercise but we will get there no doubt.

She also had her first swim the other day, which only lasted a few awkard splashes but then she figured out she no longer needed to worry about going in, she could just wait for Ari to come back and then she could steal the item and run back to me. She's going through the cheeky phase.

My Taylor use to do the same thing ST, wait for the others to swim out for the ball and then steel it off them. One day she must have thought Selsdon seemed to be having too much fun, so she grabbed onto is collar and he swam a long way out to get the ball with her attached and all the way back. After that she thought swimming was a good idea and was in the water as quick as the boys. Think it just takes some a little longer than others and also could be that they find the water too cold, especially for dogs with very short coats.

Good to hear Lulu is getting interested in the retrieve. Sure you will get there with the hold just dont rush it.

Oh norty :eek::laugh:

Having a wonderful time with Miss Em at the moment - Uni/work is stupid busy so I'm having to be really disciplined about training time...quality over quantity! I have been doing a fair few handling drills so meanwhile she forgot how to take a line to a blind! I helped her out for a few sessions so she was falling over the dummies and today she was taking a nice line to orange dummies - confidence is going through the roof and she is rumning really hard :thumbsup: Had another training session with RubyBlue last week - great to see her girl switching onto the concept of marking plus she threw singles and doubles for Em who was just about beside herself with excitement :rofl: A small reminder about steadiness was necessary!!!

I heard on the grapevine that they will be holding 2 RATG's in WA in 2012 - the first is in January eek1.gif.

Can anybody confirm this? and while I know we don't have many judges I can't believe January was chosen and the month to debut this sport in WA as the average temperature for January would be 36 degrees ++.

Please tell me I am wrong......

Edited by Ptolomy

I hope you're wrong, Ptolomy, if it's being done in cover. I won't be entering if it's done in cover in summer. Might be done at the K9 on the oval if done in January? Wouldn't want to use the cover there in January, either. I'm sure our dogs well being will be a priority :)

I heard on the grapevine that they will be holding 2 RATG's in WA in 2012 - the first is in January eek1.gif.

Can anybody confirm this? and while I know we don't have many judges I can't believe January was chosen and the month to debut this sport in WA as the average temperature for January would be 36 degrees ++.

Please tell me I am wrong......

Interested in hearing if this is the case... January is a horrid month for anything outdoors

Speak for yourself RV

Would you like me to send you Lulu for a week or so, so you can teach her hold? Maybe Ari too... I've never known another dog to hold something so darn loosely in her mouth. Lulu can steal anything from Ari with absolutely no effort.

Has anyone in WA heard yet what we need to do to get our Associate Gundogs registered as such?

RubyBlue kindly sent me the form she received in Vic that needs to be sent off (with photos) to get her Associate Labrador on the AG register, and seeing as WA are having 2 RATG next year from the sounds of it, I want to know what I need to do to make Millie eligible! :)

The form looks pretty straight forward, and I can easily get the required photos printed, but it says to return it to DogsVic and attention it to RAFT Committee. Do we have such a committee for these things here? Newbie and all to retrieving, I don't know :o

Thanks!

Edited by RubyStar

The recognition of Associate Gundogs was a topic at the last Natonal RAFT meeting. I'm waiting to hear the result as I managed to avoid the meeting :thumbsup::laugh: But, hopefully there will be a National standard way to recognise them and we'll find out details soon!!

Edited by FHRP