Retrieving & Field Training Talk

Since the quail experience Zora had she has become very birdy, it's very cute (since she will still focus when training ;) ). She has finished teething too so we are working on Shirley Chongs retrieve with a dumbbell, after a week or so of working on it she is not playing keep off as much and will bring toys up to me now. :thumbsup:

Here is Zora at a local lake, there are soooooo many ducks there she is in heaven! She is a very good girl though, she does not try to chase them and will stand and often point :)

6285005243_9b0fd61090.jpg

Going to be a good place to test her woah training (when she has had some :laugh: ) and to use as a very high level distraction.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey thanks LT :)

RV - she is SOOOOOOO CUTE :love: How's the birdiness going? Look out, it tends to grow at an exponential rate :laugh:

Em and I had a lovely session with RubyBlue and her girl, Millie, today. Walking singles (plus a double mark and walking baseball for Em), LOTS of talking and a trip to the lake for a couple of water retrieves. We both were feeling a bit exhausted from study etc so it was a really nice afternoon in the sun talking dogs etc.

ETA: Miss E was MIGHTILY unimpressed when I started throwing dummies for ANOTHER dog :eek::laugh: Little wench barked her head off in disgust at being left out. On the upside, she and Millie are both quite submissive and got along together really well (except when Millie shocked her with "Labrador zoomies" :rofl: ) which means we can toss them in the back of one car if we want to travel further afield.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

You field people are quite mad......... :laugh:

Some passerbys thought we were on Saturday I am sure :o

Really proud of Zora, she definitely understands her "job" now and was keen to find the birds, quartering well and enthusiastically and stopping still when she found them. :thumbsup:

She also backed the decoy pointer. :)

Now we are on hiatus until it cools down again then will be joining the big dogs ( :eek: ) at their training days. So we will be working on the skills we can without birds.

:love: Zora is a cutie pie alright! Glad you're having fun RV :thumbsup:

We're just pottering along with our training here - and loving it :)

Yes looking forward to next year now when Zora can do more! We are having such a fun time with the field work. So glad that ST and I found such a nice person to help us :thumbsup:

Hey can the WA listers tell me if they will be interested in attending a RATG's if they were held at a Novice and Restricted Retrieving trial? Would run the RATG after restricted is finished probably.

Know they are just tossing around ideas at the moment, but make its hard on the judges to go off and judge yet another trial at a different location, when all the judges also have dogs that they train and run at retrieving.

Thanks in advance for the replies.:D

yes, I would be interested in the RATG if it was at a retrieving trial... but I would say that you would probably get more people "giving it a go" at a closer location. I know that isn't as easy on the judges but it might bring more numbers and give more people a taste for a retrieving trial.