Retrieving & Field Training Talk

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mollipop - some obedience and a retrieving drill on Em's video. I'm having so much fun with her! I hope you enjoy it :)

FHRP - struggling to see the pics too - is there another link?

I love camping with the dogs but I have a good set up (Oztent, heater etc) - I am soft, though - site must be powered at the very least and the last few times we've had an ensuite site as well which is the ONLY way to camp :laugh:

FHRP - struggling to see the pics too - is there another link?

I love camping with the dogs but I have a good set up (Oztent, heater etc) - I am soft, though - site must be powered at the very least and the last few times we've had an ensuite site as well which is the ONLY way to camp :laugh:

Try these Day 1 Day 2 Day 3

Yes, that's my kind of camping, but not what you get on our trial sites!!! Unless you bring your own generator of course! A flushing loo is an absolute minimum for me...

Its hard for me to go the whole weekend Katie as I would need to take fresh meat for Mason- my kibble idea has not been working!

You wouldn't come even if he was able to eat kibble laugh.gif :p

:laugh::eek:

I did the camping thing when I started retrieving trialing, but one or two seasons in a tent in the freezing cold with no showers and often only a pit toilet, I chucked that in! Most others have a caravan but a few of us head to the nearest cheap motel, hey rubyroo :D :thumbsup:

Hi All, havent stopped in for a while! Yes, love those cheap motels. I have decided to do Branxton again and was almost thinking of camping but that hot shower at the end of the day is soooo good! Great photos of the national, you are very talented. Very happy for Bob and his win!

Had a great day yesterday, weather just beautiful, warm and sunny. 22 dogs were entered in our State Championship Retreiving trials, 3 were scratched and after 4 runs on day 1, 6 dogs left in. Some great work by the dogs, they were fabulous to watch.

Now off to day 2, only 2 runs today so should be home after lunch today.

Raining today so not going to be so lucky with the weather by the look of it, the dogs will not be the only ones getting wet today.:laugh:

Had a great day yesterday, weather just beautiful, warm and sunny. 22 dogs were entered in our State Championship Retreiving trials, 3 were scratched and after 4 runs on day 1, 6 dogs left in. Some great work by the dogs, they were fabulous to watch.

Now off to day 2, only 2 runs today so should be home after lunch today.

Raining today so not going to be so lucky with the weather by the look of it, the dogs will not be the only ones getting wet today.:laugh:

Thanks for the update, any names of dogs who are left? Just checked AWRC and no updates there yet. Have a fun day today.

FHRP, Are you a gifted photographer. They are wonderful.

re: WA Championship.

Four runs were concluded yesterday. 5 dogs remained last night. Bob, Heather, Maggie x 2,

Judy. Only one Easterner attended- Bob T.

Phone reception poor apparently. Should hear results soon?

Judy's dacebook page says: 1st Rt Ch Ellishea Katos Czarda Heather Ellis 2nd Rt Ch Kadnook Kwik Sand Bob Tawton 3rd Grand Rt Ch O Ch Altiquin Stern (imp Ireland) Maggie Hankinson 4th Rt Ch Altiquin Glory (imp Ireland) Maggie Hankinson 5th Rt Ch Featherhunt Joshua Judy Pannett no other finishers. There were 19 starters. :thumbsup:

Question about retrieve to hand... my older wei bitch is great at retrieving but has issues with delivering (or even holding for long enough to get to me). I am currently working on that as a separate exercise (the "hold"). Should i cease all other retrieving until we perfect the hold and give? AT this stage, I am not planning to trial her but i do want to teach her so i can get the steps right when teaching the puppy.

FHRP absolutely gorgeous photos :)

Thanks for the compliments on the photos :) I look forward to seeing some from Livertreats of the WA Champs!

Lablover, loved watching the young dogs you bred running at the State and Nationals, such keeness!!

I took a few photos over the weekend, nearly 400, but promise I will select some and put them up. Is it easier to link from Photobucket?

There was some fabulous work done by the dogs over the two days. Very trying conditions yesterday, bucketing down with rain, strong winds which was trying its best to blow me off my seat while I juggled the umbrella to stop the camera from getting wet, but still managed some nice shots.

Really enjoyed watch all the dogs over the two days.

Question about retrieve to hand... my older wei bitch is great at retrieving but has issues with delivering (or even holding for long enough to get to me). I am currently working on that as a separate exercise (the "hold"). Should i cease all other retrieving until we perfect the hold and give? AT this stage, I am not planning to trial her but i do want to teach her so i can get the steps right when teaching the puppy.

FHRP absolutely gorgeous photos :)

What i did ( others probably do differently) is I used something he liked and only gave it to him to practice the hold ( give, take click) - still threw his ball for him etc like normal but now that he has the hold he has to bring everything back to hand.

Thanks for the compliments on the photos :) I look forward to seeing some from Livertreats of the WA Champs!

Lablover, loved watching the young dogs you bred running at the State and Nationals, such keeness!!

Sorry for the typing errors in my wow regarding your photos. Had a virus in my system so had to type fast before being dropped.

Should have been YOU ARE a gifted photographer.

Thanks for the compliments regarding the Stamp/Pink young ones. The whole litter have turned out well, both in the trial sector and Australian Government.

I don't know how the Eastern States clubs cope, but in W.A. we have an old problem popping up again in retrieving. People not willing to do their bit for the sport ! I am being blunt, because it is true. The clubs and committees that run our trials need fresh faces and newbies into the sport need to realise that they have to be involved in the behind scenes work, otherwise this sport is just going to fizzle out and die.

It isn't just newbies either, there are some people who think being on a committee means a free pass to not help out at trials. As a judge and competitor, I can see it from both sides, but I have forfeited three full trials this season to judge them, plus organised the running of two other trials, and, worked in the field, often. Not just me either, but quite a few others, mostly All Age competitors, have given up weekends to work in trials they are not competing in. I think the people in this sport need a wake up call, that being, that if they don't get off their b...s and be involved, then some changes may have to occur. Namely, cancelling trials and these would be Novice & Restricted trials that would go.

Sorry to bitch, but I have just had our last trial for the year which I had to organise stewards for, and it was a task in itself. I did eventually get two people for the field, for whom I am grateful, but getting a Chief steward was near impossible. Right now, I am over trialling, and could happily say "I quit", but a verbal reminder at the AGMs about everyone's responsibility to our sport, is on the cards I think.

I can certainly understand your frustration, FD :( And sorry to hear you've had such a hard time finding stewards. I had no idea there was even a trial on last weekend until the Monday! I thought the season had finished with the States :o Next time you are short on stewards, please post here and I am sure one of us will be happy to come along. I will definitely come help if I can make it!

I have an idea that might encourage more helpers who aren't trialling, if I may? :o If triallers would be happy to drive some helpers out there I would most certainly be willing to help out more (and maybe those offering make it known, because I for one am too shy to ask around for a lift for fear of putting someone out). Or if a bunch of stewards car pooled and took it in turns to drive out there. I know I find it hard to drive all the way back on my own, I have had a few near misses due to driving tired and falling asleep at the wheel eek1.gif So car pooling is the best idea for those of us who aren't taking dogs, because I need the company to stay awake.

I've helped out at a few trials over the years but I will definitely make more of an effort next year and steward more, regardless of if I'm trialling yet or not :)

We get very few dedicated stewards at retreiving trials. It's not uncommon to solely rely on the competitors to steward for each other. Unfortunately even then it's often the same few people that work their butts off all day on every run while others do next to nothing. Usually a NSW trial holds all three stakes with two judges. The two stakes that have the one judge will steward for each other and the other stake is usually the largest so competitors will rotate around stewarding. Most often it's been the All Age Stake with a dedicated judge, and once a competitor is eliminated they don't do the following runs (unlike Novice & Restricted) so they can steward instead.

Getting stewards for any dog sport is a struggle here. It's a nightmare in agility and we've tried different incentives such as petrol vouchers, cash, raffles etc. but nothing has really made it easier.

I try to steward at least one day at our local trials if I'm not competing, but I must admit I'm past giving up an entire rare free weekend. If I'm trialing, I steward.

Edited by FHRP