Retrieving & Field Training Talk

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really, reeeeeaaaally want to, but we will see what happens with training and how much time/help I can pinch from all you WA retrieving gurus :D It's one of those very grey areas for me in terms of knowing what to do and how to get there, so I tend to just sway back to obedience because of the ease in which it can be trained (anywhere, anytime, by myself, etc. I want to get Ruby in the UD ring at some stage). But retrieving always lures me back, it's addictive!

Hey RS - just focus on lots of walking singles for Ruby - lots and lots of confidence building. It helps to have someone assist you but 90% of the training I do is on the local sports ground and most of it is on my own. I'm just waiting for Mr TSD to get home so he can throw some birds for us actually! Need to make sure there aren't any kids around - poor buggers will be scarred for life ;)

I took Em down there at lunchtime and worked on a few drills - I just isolated the straight backs. I sent her to a pile a couple of times, then added a whistle stop and sent her back to the pile. I was really pleased with her.

I really, reeeeeaaaally want to, but we will see what happens with training and how much time/help I can pinch from all you WA retrieving gurus :D It's one of those very grey areas for me in terms of knowing what to do and how to get there, so I tend to just sway back to obedience because of the ease in which it can be trained (anywhere, anytime, by myself, etc. I want to get Ruby in the UD ring at some stage). But retrieving always lures me back, it's addictive!

:rofl: Gurus, cant be talking about me, still have heaps to learn. I thought you were training with Ann. I train mainly on my own and usually get together with Fetchitup once a week as it nice to have someone toss some dummies for your dog every now and then. Hard trying to fit several things together, I leave the obedience for summer and just stick to retrieving and tracking in winter.

Will help if I can.

Hey RS - just focus on lots of walking singles for Ruby - lots and lots of confidence building. It helps to have someone assist you but 90% of the training I do is on the local sports ground and most of it is on my own. I'm just waiting for Mr TSD to get home so he can throw some birds for us actually! Need to make sure there aren't any kids around - poor buggers will be scarred for life ;)

I took Em down there at lunchtime and worked on a few drills - I just isolated the straight backs. I sent her to a pile a couple of times, then added a whistle stop and sent her back to the pile. I was really pleased with her.

Hi TSD, I see you mention the term "walking singles" a lot. Can you please clarify for me if I have it correct in my head what that is? Throw one, retrieve, walk to another position, throw another, etc?

Ruby gets bored very quickly with drills :( The only time I get animation out of her when it's the real deal with thrower. Working lines seem more and more appealing to me each day rofl1.gif

Millie on the other hand loves retrieving dummies regardless of how they were thrown! Stupid Associate register rules :p

:rofl: Gurus, cant be talking about me, still have heaps to learn. I thought you were training with Ann. I train mainly on my own and usually get together with Fetchitup once a week as it nice to have someone toss some dummies for your dog every now and then. Hard trying to fit several things together, I leave the obedience for summer and just stick to retrieving and tracking in winter.

Will help if I can.

I train with Ann when we're both free and there are no trials on. Between us both working full time and trials, it gets hard to find a spare morning to do some training. If you and fetchitup don't mind me tagging along to any training you do in the summer break, I would be so grateful. The more chances to train the better :)

And to me, you are a guru, you all are :worship: You have come such a long way in such a short time, you should be so proud and accept that others think you have some knowledge to share to newbies :D

Will help if I can.

Helps so much to have someone to train with, if Fetchitup had not helped me I would be getting nowhere. Mason will be ready to run next season if i get over my dead bird phobia. The retreivability tests sound up my ally as its just dummies but he would love to do a proper retrieving trial as he just loves it :)

Yes Saturday's trials in at Upper Swan and the All Age on Sunday is at the Lavendar Farm, not that far to drive and a nice spot.

The Lavender Farm is on Dumbarton Road which is on the Avon River, Perth side of Toodyay. You have to head for Toodyay, then turn onto the road to Northam, which is just before the town, and continue a few klm and Dumbarton Rd is on your left. Go over the bridge and turn into the first driveway on your left.

There will be a depleted field as four handlers have left for the Nationals in NSW.

I have cancelled our trip to NSW as both my girls came in season on Monday. That, plus the crook leg, put paid to any trip this year. Can't believe it....two years in a row of bad luck.

I also ordered a new whistle, one of those Roy Gonia Mega Whistles. Is there a trick to making it work? I blow in it and nothing :o I feel like such a dufus asking that!

Update to this. The whistle is definitely faulty, so I emailed Cabelas about it and they offered me a refund or replacement. Speedy response too thumbsup1.gif

I'd definitely recommend them for dog training goods, customer service was great :)

Yes Saturday's trials in at Upper Swan and the All Age on Sunday is at the Lavendar Farm, not that far to drive and a nice spot.

The Lavender Farm is on Dumbarton Road which is on the Avon River, Perth side of Toodyay. You have to head for Toodyay, then turn onto the road to Northam, which is just before the town, and continue a few klm and Dumbarton Rd is on your left. Go over the bridge and turn into the first driveway on your left.

There will be a depleted field as four handlers have left for the Nationals in NSW.

I have cancelled our trip to NSW as both my girls came in season on Monday. That, plus the crook leg, put paid to any trip this year. Can't believe it....two years in a row of bad luck.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck! Hopefully third times the charm for you!!

Oh what a shame fetchin!!!!! :(

I tossed a couple of dummies for Em at the river yesterday and she entered the water very cleanly without faffing around - it was a deep entry and she was really enthusiastic and was the same coming back when I tossed the dummy on the other side of the bank. Worked on some more handling skills at the park - it's incredible what a complex exercise it is and how the "picture" changes for the dog when you increase distance too quickly but we got there in the end and she really enjoyed herself. Still waiting for my gun license and I really don't want someone else shooting for me!!!

Hi TSD, I see you mention the term "walking singles" a lot. Can you please clarify for me if I have it correct in my head what that is? Throw one, retrieve, walk to another position, throw another, etc?

Bump :D

RV, Lulu is at the exact same stage... plus she picks things up that are appealing to her that she shouldn't have... plants, bits of plastic, rocks... :rolleyes:

I'm going to :wave: to everyone in this thread... I am a wannabe with retrieving... being that I want to do it, I have a dog that probably can do it, but I need more time and motivation to actually do it! I've been reading this thread for a while now!! You are all very awesome!!

What do you guys do when pups want to play keep away? Zora is going through a bit of a stage of it, so I have only been doing retrieves in the hall where she can't escape, but she does it with things she picks up around the house.

RV - personally I would build really high value for the delivery - the classic Sue Hogben sniff, click, treat progressing to presenting any article you offer. Don't worry too much about the retrieve itself - if she's got good instinct that will come. It's good to remember that the retrieve is naturally very rewarding but the present is not. There's a thread on dumbbells somewhere about where we talked about it.

Welcome to the Positive Gundogs list by the way ;)

ETA: Hi ST :wave:

Edited by The Spotted Devil

What do you guys do when pups want to play keep away? Zora is going through a bit of a stage of it, so I have only been doing retrieves in the hall where she can't escape, but she does it with things she picks up around the house.

RV - personally I would build really high value for the delivery - the classic Sue Hogben sniff, click, treat progressing to presenting any article you offer. Don't worry too much about the retrieve itself - if she's got good instinct that will come. It's good to remember that the retrieve is naturally very rewarding but the present is not. There's a thread on dumbbells somewhere about where we talked about it.

Welcome to the Positive Gundogs list by the way ;)

ETA: Hi ST :wave:

Thanks SD! I will get onto that if Sue Hogben method is the same as Shirley Chong (http://www.shirleychong.com/keepers/retrieve.html) I trained Toby this way I find it's a good process!

I was just reading in 'Don't Shoot the Dog' that you should train behaviour chains starting from the last behaviour in the chain and working forwards. She definately has the zest for the retrieve, whenever something is thrown she sprints out after it and picks it up, then prances around thinking she is so damn smart (which she is :laugh: ) and shows everyone and Toby what she has.

Positive Gundog list should be helpful! People in the US sure do train differently :)

Yes, it's the SC way but SH seems to move the dog through quite quickly, in terms of generalising to different angled pick ups (held in the hand) and lots of different objects, teaching the dog to pick up the object in the middle straight away and no mouthing. SH really emphasises TIGHT criteria straight away, which is really good. I didn't even train it with a dummy!

I enjoy the posts on Positive Gundogs but many don't adhere to 2Q. If you remove the adversives, the US train retrieving really well, especially the modern trainers - they have an excellent understanding of the skills required and how the dog learns (mostly). I just break down their drills into the basic parts and build it up using 2Q.