Retrieving & Field Training Talk

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm you know what that working cocker you posted looks kinda like

DSCF0046.275153039_std.jpg

And they can have plenty of drive too ;)

Here is a adorable pup begging to play fetch

:D

Knew you'd say that :p Except that isn't as compact :eek: But golly gosh is that puppy adorable!! So many dogs, so little time! I'll never be able to decide :D

Edited by RubyStar

Hmmm you know what that working cocker you posted looks kinda like

DSCF0046.275153039_std.jpg

And they can have plenty of drive too ;)

Here is a adorable pup begging to play fetch

:D

Knew you'd say that :p Except that isn't as compact :eek: But golly gosh is that puppy adorable!! So many dogs, so little time! I'll never be able to decide :D

Also chat to Crazy Cresties, she had a working cocker back in the UK named Fargo ;)

I just pestered my friend in NZ about her working cocker and received a reply. She and her friend both have fairly low drive cockers but that really suits their lifestyle. It sounds like the breed is in the development stage in the Southern hemisphere as some of the dogs of the same lines are considered really high drive and take quite a bit to bring them under control! There are quite a few WC in NZ, a few in Perth and a couple of others scattered around Australia. It will be interesting to see the breed develop :)

Thanks for the info, TSD. I'd certainly be interested in learning more about them so hopefully we'll start seeing more around :) I found someone in WA advertising a while ago a litter of WC's. I wonder what they were like!

Thanks for the info, TSD. I'd certainly be interested in learning more about them so hopefully we'll start seeing more around :) I found someone in WA advertising a while ago a litter of WC's. I wonder what they were like!

I can probably get a Perth contact if you'd really like to meet a breeder.

Thanks for the info, TSD. I'd certainly be interested in learning more about them so hopefully we'll start seeing more around :rofl: I found someone in WA advertising a while ago a litter of WC's. I wonder what they were like!

I can probably get a Perth contact if you'd really like to meet a breeder.

Thanks, but probably a tad too soon :)

I have something to make you all laugh... what happens when you get some dokkens but don't have a gundog but do have a herding dog?

(The dokkens are from Cabelas.. couldn't resist with the exchange rate... going to also use them in temp/potential testing a friends wei litter and for my future gundog of course)

Edited by RallyValley

I have something to make you all laugh... what happens when you get some dokkens but don't have a gundog but do have a herding dog?

(The dokkens are from Cabelas.. couldn't resist with the exchange rate... going to also use them in temp/potential testing a friends wei litter and for my future gundog of course)

Will watch video at home :)

Linky please to dokkens... want to order some myself. Thought you, me and Mason2009 were going to combine an order! :p

Edited by RubyStar

Will watch video at home :)

Linky please to dokkens... want to order some myself. Thought you, me and Mason2009 were going to combine an order! :p

We are still going to do a joint order from Lion County right? I need some canvas bumpers and a bigger dokken (I got a quail and a pigeon only)

Cabelas postage is - International Standard Surface shipping and handling is 25% of the total order amount or a minimum of $20.00. - so going in togther is not any cheaper, it was $85 AUD for 6 rubber bumpers, and two little dokkens including postage!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/Dog...%3Bcat104824980

The dokkens are from Cabelas.. couldn't resist with the exchange rate...

I did the same :laugh: Waiting for mine to arrive :)

Love the vid, what a good Kelpie!! :shrug:

Yes I was actually a bit surpised he fetched them :p Expecting to have him run out, sniff and run back without it. I just got the field trial birds... I know they do but at this stage just can't imagine my future Britt pup retrieveing a huge duck! Not until it's fully grown at least :laugh:

The dokkens are from Cabelas.. couldn't resist with the exchange rate...

I did the same :laugh: Waiting for mine to arrive :)

Love the vid, what a good Kelpie!! :shrug:

Yes I was actually a bit surpised he fetched them :p Expecting to have him run out, sniff and run back without it. I just got the field trial birds... I know they do but at this stage just can't imagine my future Britt pup retrieveing a huge duck! Not until it's fully grown at least :laugh:

I have been told not to give masona dokken until he can hold a dummy, problem is he could not be less interested in a dummy and so now i am at a dead end - about to give up as nothing we try works so far and after 2 months of trying there is not even a slight improvement in his holds.

Competed in my second RATG yesterday and my girl got her second pass.

I also entered my 10 year old granny just to help with the numbers (didn't need to though - there were 18 in Novice).

Well, the old girl kicked butt and came 4th! She thoroughly enjoyed herself.

Have entered the 3 retrieving trials in NSW this weekend. Hopefully the OH will give me leave and mind the puppies so I can go.

Mason2009, have you wrapped your dummy in rabbit skin or attached pigeon wings to it??? Even only bringing it out when you are about to feed him can make a difference to his interest. If he doesn't get fed until he retrieves, he will surely become more interested.

Sorry, forgot about Mollipop's oldie. She was fabulous. Shame there were so many GRs but them's the breaks.

Edited by gspx3

Mason2009, have you wrapped your dummy in rabbit skin or attached pigeon wings to it??? Even only bringing it out when you are about to feed him can make a difference to his interest. If he doesn't get fed until he retrieves, he will surely become more interested.

Sorry, forgot about Mollipop's oldie. She was fabulous. Shame there were so many GRs but them's the breaks.

He will retrieve the dummy no problem but he will drop it at my feet and if i give it to him from my hand he will again drop it. Have been told not to use the wings until he can hold properly ...