Slr Zoom Lens & Compact Camera

Monika

Hey Everyone :o

I am going on a safari tour to South Africa in February. With Christmas coming up, I am looking at purchasing myself a new SLR lens and a compact camera for the tour and future use. The tour will involve both game drives and close up animal interaction (taking blood, relocating, checking animals etc). I expect that we will also be 'chasing' the animals, so I will definitely be taking some 'action' shots! In addition to this, I mainly photograph my pets (dog and bird), take holiday snaps and also photograph horses.

Currently I have a pentax k100d super SLR camera, 18-50mm lens and a macro lens. I am looking for a zoom lens, with preferably a wide range (since I'll be taking photos both up close and far away). Hoping to find a fairly basic lens, which isn't too expensive, as I will probably move onto a canon/nikon body in a couple of years. What focal lengths should I be looking for (I was thinking of 50 or 70 - 300mm) and are there any lenses you would recommend?

I would also like to purchase a compact camera, as I don't currently own one. Looking for a wide zoom range, preferably some manual controls, decent battery life, ability to capture action shots. I will use the video function, however it's not the main purpose that the camera will be used for. I like the look of the Panasonic Lumix TZ10 - or the TZ8, as I don't necessarily need the GPS. Any suggestions for other compact cameras, or experiences with the above models, would be great! Am looking at a budget of max $350.

Should note that I'm happy to purchase the camera/lens online, as long as the sellers are reliable and the products are genuine (any recommendations for sellers would be appreciated) :)

300mm should be fine for most shots, especially in parks in South Africa.

Have you considered a camcorder with OS (optical stabiliser) in it? I went to Africa 10 years ago, back in the days of film and I took a compact point and shoot camera and my husband took a camcorder with a good zoom range. A couple of years ago I had all the film from the camcorder transferred onto DVD and it was great to sit down and watch our safari video all these years later. Taking a DSLR and a telephoto is a great idea and if I ever went back there, I'd definitely take my camera gear of course, but I'd also take a camcorder again. I haven't taken a camcorder (are they still even called that? :cheer: ) anywhere since but Africa is one of those places I'd recommend doing so, just so you can film what you see.

Edited by Ripley

thank you for all the tips :mad

Ripley, we do have an old camcorder but was thinking of just taking a compact camera that can also record videos (less bulky). I would definitely like to take both photos and videos though

Mish13 - it's my dream trip too! always wanted to visit Africa and the tour that we are doing is specifically catered for my uni course, which is just an additional bonus.

Mason2009 - thanks for the tip. The tour company is organising our transfers and we're staying at a lodge in a game reserve - I will keep a very close eye on my belongings when we're around the airport though. I'm getting travel insurance, which also covers luggage inc cameras.

We'll be based near Port Elizabeth and have the weekends free to do some extra activities/explore. If you don't mind me asking, do you think it'd be worth it going on a tour to Cape Town (see table mountain) or would it be too far? Also, would love to hear any other recommendations for things to see/do in the area.

thank you for all the tips :eek:

Ripley, we do have an old camcorder but was thinking of just taking a compact camera that can also record videos (less bulky). I would definitely like to take both photos and videos though

Mish13 - it's my dream trip too! always wanted to visit Africa and the tour that we are doing is specifically catered for my uni course, which is just an additional bonus.

Mason2009 - thanks for the tip. The tour company is organising our transfers and we're staying at a lodge in a game reserve - I will keep a very close eye on my belongings when we're around the airport though. I'm getting travel insurance, which also covers luggage inc cameras.

We'll be based near Port Elizabeth and have the weekends free to do some extra activities/explore. If you don't mind me asking, do you think it'd be worth it going on a tour to Cape Town (see table mountain) or would it be too far? Also, would love to hear any other recommendations for things to see/do in the area.

Cape Town is well worth the trip, think it would be less than an hours flight to Cape Town, the mountain is awesome and Hout Bay is also lovely as well as Hermanus. Very scenic and lovely. My favorite part of south africa, although I dont know it that well as I am from the east coast and that is west coast but I have been there a few times and loved it. A friend of mine had divorced parents and I once spent the summer hols in Hout Bay with her and her dad. Port Elizabeth is smaller than Cape Town and I must admit I have only spent one day there so I dont know much about what there is to see and do there. Not sure what game reserves are near there? The big one in South Africa is Kruger but that is in another state.