Advice With What To Feed

*Oscar*

Hello,

I have a LARGE 7 month old Golden boy. When I got him from the breeder he was fed Supercoat puppy biscuits and Pal canned meat. The supercoat he didn't like and the Pal made for alot of stool samples in my back yard. When I started his puppy classes at my vet I moved him onto Iams large breed puppy biscuits only as this was what was recommended to me by the vet nurse. As well as the Iams he current enjoys a boiled egg or some veg as a treat. We also give him large bones from the butcher during the week.

I spent alot of time researching the breed but have only now started reading on what to actually feed him. I'm wondering what biscuits you would recommend for his staple diet? I'm looking at finding 2 so that I can switch between them every few months to vary his intake. Ive read alot of bad things about Iams and Euk and I'm now worried that I may be doing the wrong thing feeding it to him.

Also Ive read of alot of people giving chicken drumsticks and necks to there puppys. I would like to do this but think that they are to small for my boy...His a true golden and doesn't tend to chew alot before swallowing something he thinks is truly yummy.

Any feedback would be very helpful and thanks in advance.

you dont need to switch food, find a good base diet and stick to it. You can always add meaty bones and other stuff as the variety

Iams and Eukanuba are ok, they are currently remodelling their factories so supply can be a little hit and miss. I prefer brands like Royal Canin, Nutrience, Eagle Pack, Nutro etc for large breeds then add your own stuff

give him chicken carcasses instead but keep an eye on him. And not too often incase he gets constipated, just keep an eye out on his poo habits :thanks: as he gets older he should be right with raw meaty bones more often. Lamb flaps are good too

I have always started mine on Large Breed Puppy Iams (up to at least 12 months) but I never feed Pal....yuk :thanks: ... Mine now get a good quality adult biscuit, human grade raw beef mince, pineapple, grated carrot and high quality colostrum. I find that lamb mince is to fatty (I have one on a diet) and I'm paranoid about the "bugs" in white meat.

Since I put him on Iams he has had black stool. I thought maybe he was just weird and the sun was making them that way. A friend has recently put her dog on Iams and her pups poo has gone black as well. Is this healthy though?

With the chicken carcasses, do I just get an actual chicken carcass and let him chow down on it? Obviously with me watching him.

I've never had black stools with the Iams and sorry - I can't help with the carcasses either. Another paranoia of mine is small bones lodging in the throat, stomach or intestine - I only give big meaty bones - about once a week.

With the chicken carcasses, do I just get an actual chicken carcass and let him chow down on it? Obviously with me watching him.

Yep - the carcase minus the meat. Don't do anything to it except maybe trim off some of the fat if it's a particularly fatty one and the dog isn't used to fat. You could occasionally just give him a half a chicken (raw) as a whole meal - you can buy the frozen ones pretty cheap sometimes and it's a meal in itself.