Best Breed For Your Average First Time Dog Owner

aussielover

My first dog was a Pembroke Corgi. She was the perfect first dog. Couldn't mess her up if you tried. And I did try, unknowingly.

I have a Finnish Lapphund who is also crazy easy, but his coat is not. And he still has his spitz moments where he just goes "Hmm... No." We worked hard to get him reliable off leash, whereas the corgi was naturally good off leash.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Would never recommend a GSD to a first time dog owner. Energy is just too high and it takes a lot of work for a newbie to get things going well. Much better to start with a smaller breed.

I started out in GSD's during the late 70's and bred and trained thru the 80's via the shep club and survey scheme - stopped breeding litters due to the fact it seemed difficult to find the right sort of homes for puppies.

Nowdays I have Aussies and have found these are a breed that are so easy to work with and they fit in with so many different homes. Full of enthusiasm but with an off switch and both males and females are equally easy to train - they don't have the dominance issue some of the GSD's have and Aussies are a dog who seem to get on brilliant with kids and other dogs.

It depends on the family. Plenty of breeds are great. Greyhounds can be excellent for families that don't really want to alter their lifestyle too much, but still want to enjoy having a dog.

It is easier to explain what I wouldn't recommend for a first time dog owner.

I would say that there are breeds to avoid, lines to avoid and individuals in litters to avoid.

I wouldn't suggest a first time owner gets any of the livestock guarding breeds, except maybe a marrema. Nor should they get a working line kelpie. Those are dogs that were never meant to be just pets, they are for professionals and enthusiasts.

There are lines of dogs that may not be suitable within many breeds. If the new owner gets everything 100% perfect, the dog may be ok, but if the new owner makes an error, you could end up with a very damaged and dangerous dog.

There are individuals within any breed that can and do dominate new dog owners that are having trouble with the whole leadership concept, and who tend to treat their dog like a cat or a child. It is vital that new owners are given some instruction about management and leadership. If they don't appear to have strong leadership skills, they shouldn't really be given the most dominant pup in the litter.

The right dog for any first time dog owner is the dog that meets or exceeds their expectations. The expectations have to be thoroughly discussed before any recommendation can be made. :thumbsup:

Edited by Greytmate

Labradors are just fine as first time dogs for first time owners if they do their research on what they are really like as pups and adolescents and train it. Sadly, they end up in the wrong hands all too often of young families who want a "family dog" for their young kids but don't have time for the dog and the Lab sits in the backyard by itself, of course its going to end up destructive and an out of hand representative of the breed.

My first dog as an adult was a Lab puppy. 2 years later, I went back for another, but this time I went for an untrained adult rescue. I'd only ever grown up with toy breeds but I certainly coped with raising my Labradors, and I think I did pretty damn well considering. Obedience trained from day 1, they are both great dogs to live with and well behaved. So I'd never straight up rule first time owners out of getting a Lab, but if I was a breeder of them I'd be vetting them as well as I can to ensure they understand what responsibilities they have to raise it to be a well mannered dog. If I didn't feel they could meet those responsibilities, I would steer them away from Labs :thumbsup:

I don't believe it comes down to the breed being suitable for a first time owner, it comes down to how the first time owner approaches the raising of the dog and what lengths they will go to to ensure they do their best.

I would say a Bichon Frise, so long as grooming requirements are understood. They are a beginner's breed in every other sense - easy to train, intelligent, don't have that small dog 'yappy' quality, playful, generally healthy and extremely good with other dogs. :thumbsup:

At least both our Bichons have been. :laugh:

Lots of people will have a story about first time owner who took on a difficult breed and did well with them - doesn't mean those breeds are suitable for your average first time owner. There are some first time dog owners that do lots of research & are prepared to put a lot of work into their dog & seek help when necessary - but most first time owners I meet are well meaning but ignorant and tend to just want a friendly, low maintenance dog, and aren't prepared to put a whole lot of work into researching lines or training the dog afterwards.

If newbie owners want a dog from the more difficult or more energetic breeds, I'd suggest they look for an adult dog. That way they can pick the individual dog to suit them (even working breeds & lines have low drive dogs pop up sometimes), and if they take the dog on a trial for a few days or weeks they'll know exactly what they're getting into.

Otherwise, I tend to recommend greyhounds, goldens, bichons, tibbies, cavies, beagles, bulldogs, or a nice mixed breed rescue, for the average first time owner. Will be interested to see what other breed recommendations pop up in this thread.

Edited by Staranais

Lots of people will have a story about first time owner who took on a difficult breed and did well with them - doesn't mean those breeds are suitable for your average first time owner.

You're right about this. I see heaps of comments in various posts about how Working line Kelpies are generally unsuitable as suburban pets and the evidence is usually that there are heaps of Working line Kelpies/Kelpie crosses in the pound but sometimes I wonder if perhaps the pound representation is largely attributable to the fact that there are just lots and lots of Kelpies/Kelpie crosses around.

OH and I are novice dog-owners - he's originally a cat person, I had a family dog before that just chilled out in the backyard and we now have two working line dogs - WKC-registered Kelpie and a Kelpie/Border Collie cross and we actually find them delightful as pets ... I'd never recommend them because I just see so many horror stories about working Kelpies posted by other people and wonder whether or not we just got lucky with our two dogs. :thumbsup:

I also wonder why Kelpies usually have worse press than border collies because the two breeds while quite different, have a lot of similarities but border collies are frequently more recommended as pets than Kelpies.

KB - you put a LOT more effort into your dogs than the average owner.

When talking about the average owner, I think you need to assume that that dog will only be walked a few times a week. When the weather is crap, the dog won't be walked at all (I walk mine twice a day regardless, and you'd be suprised how many times I hear people saying "we haven't been out in a week because of the rain" when we get the first good day).

Puppies are hard work, but some are much harder than others. My boy was a dream in most respects - didn't destroy furniture, happy to please me etc.

I think good first time breeds are breeds that are owner focused, need less exercise and are happy to chill with their pack. I'd leave out anything that was too drivey (especially prey drive, often mistaken for aggression), anything too independant, anything too strong (accidents happen) and anything from a fighting background (most people take their dogs to the park, let it off the leash and have no control over it).

Edited by megan_

My cousin as Tibbie and I'll be training him over Christmas (for my NDTF course!).

They will make perfect 1 time dog owners. Also I think Cavaliers and Poodles too.

As for bigger breed, I will suggest they go to a rescue place and adopt an older dog that will fit in their lifestyle and home life.

For first timers I'd probably suggest staying away from working breeds, gun dogs and some utility dogs as they can be quite independent thinkers - they have to be to do their job properly. It really depends on how much work you want to put into them right from the go get. I'd also suggest keeping to a smaller breed so it's easier to handle. Also consider children...if you have any - or if there will be children in the house. Working dogs have been know to round up the kids and if you don't know what they are doing (and aren't ready for it) it can be quite frightening. Take a walk around a show and talk to the owners, handlers and breeders.

My cousin as Tibbie and I'll be training him over Christmas (for my NDTF course!).

As for bigger breed, I will suggest they go to a rescue place and adopt an older dog that will fit in their lifestyle and home life.

You cousin has good taste, CW. :) But so have you, I'm a secret admirer of the 2 pics of your dogs on your profile page.

Just a thought about tibbies & training. They're a breed you have to make a good case, for what you want them to do. We used to own the working dog breeds that would obey because they wanted to please you. Tibbies are independent minded & if what you want is what they want (like cuddles, pats, treats etc), they'll beat you to the count. But they're not a breed that does well in obedience for the sake of obedience ('And the point of this is...?, tibbies ask). They also thrive on a routine that they like, which is why they make such good in-house companions. And easy to own.

I agree with you about looking to rescue for a bigger breed, especially one where the dog has been fostered with an experienced carer. That helps hugely in figuring out a lifestyle & homelife match.

Edited by mita

i know someone that got a newfoundland as a first dog and never looked back.. so i guess as you said given that the owner is the right type (the responsible and reasonable type) then any breed will do as long as they have done their research..

I don't think there's such a thing as "average" dog owner - first time or not.

You've got to consider the owner's personality, life style, commitment and a range of other factors.

One persons's "easy" dog is another's infuriating one.

I couldnt agree more. :)

Mita, speaking of admiring- Tibbies are up the top of my 2nd dog list thanks to your wonderful posts. ;)

I dont have the room for another large breed and dont like smaller dogs as a rule, but I'd happily have a Tibbie! (if the OH would let me... grumble grumble...)

Mita, speaking of admiring- Tibbies are up the top of my 2nd dog list thanks to your wonderful posts. :)

I dont have the room for another large breed and dont like smaller dogs as a rule, but I'd happily have a Tibbie! (if the OH would let me... grumble grumble...)

Delee, it'd just be my luck for you to convince the OH & get a tibbie....& it turns out to be the only one in the world, totally not typical. And you chase me round the kitchen with a hatchet while your OH cheers. ;)

Seriously, I'm not a small dog person & neither are many blokes. But these dogs are different. Wish you could hear the big ex-Navy man next door who loves his tibbie girl, calling her...'Come on Monkey Bum, darlin'!' :) :)

Edited by mita

Hmmm from some of these posts makes you wonder how many of us managed to get it right as first time dog owners on the breed's we chose, long before the internet was around to do all the required research and learn as much as we could about about our breeds and raising dogs. ;) . Whether or not we were brought up with dogs didn't make us dog experts and perfect owners of our first dogs, we all had to start somewhere and experience made us all the wiser (well some of us anyway :) ) and learn from the mistakes all of us have made along the way. Heck I am still learning new things with my current Lab youngster :)

The average owner is not a dog savy Doler ;) and does not think like us (not sure if that is good or bad :cry: ) and sure some of them should never have dogs and will never learn from their mistakes and are bloody irresponsible dog owners, but a lot of others do an ok job (maybe not to the DOL standards :) , but an OK job all the same) and they and their dogs lead a happy life.

Saying that groups of dogs like large dogs, gun dogs, working dogs etc are not suitable for first time owners is preposterous and denying some great homes to these type of dogs. Yes Labrador puppy and adolescent antics can be a bit of shock :cry: for first time dog owners and even for some first time Labrador owners who have had other breeds :cry: and some people cannot cope with them and dump/rehome them. Others will muddle through and their dog may or may not come out ok at the other end and yes unfortunately some poor dogs suffer due to their inept owners. Yes too many prospective Lab owners expect their new Labs to come trained like a guide dog :) without putting in the required effort and Yes a number of Lab owners do not meet the needs of their Labs and some of these owners seek help and make the necessary changes and others do not and never will be able to meet the needs of their Labs ;) . However, many more do, and some first time dog owners do a fantastic job with their labs and conversely some experienced dog owners do an awful job with their labs as they don't understand the breed and fail to meet their needs.

I would rather a first time Lab owner is judged on whether or not they could meet a Lab's needs, rather than be ruled out because they are a first time dog owner :thanks: .

Edited by labsrule

Mita, speaking of admiring- Tibbies are up the top of my 2nd dog list thanks to your wonderful posts. :)

Delee, it'd just be my luck for you to convince the OH & get a tibbie....& it turns out to be the only one in the world, totally not typical. And you chase me round the kitchen with a hatchet while your OH cheers. :p

:laugh:

Does that happen often?