What Was That?

PoppyDog

For the past two nights I've woken to Poppy making these horrid gagging/gasping/choking noises in her sleep.

As soon as I spring out of bed and say her name she's awake and breathing normally and fine! But mans the sounds are horrible!

Is this something to worry about???

Could be issues relating to an elongated soft palate.. not usually any big drama.

Or is she snoring?

One of our Cavs sometimes does that at night, which I have put down to her having an elongated soft palate.

I just gently wake her up, and pat her to sleep again :thumbsup:

Poppydog if it starts happening regularly take her to the vets to just have a check over.

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

Can dogs get sleep apnea like some of us humans ?? (I have a mild form of it and will occasionally splutter, choke etc during the night )

Most definitely. Before Lola had her soft palate surgery, she was lethargic and sleeping all the time. The vet said she had sleep apnea and was exhausted from waking herself up all the time.

Most definitely. Before Lola had her soft palate surgery, she was lethargic and sleeping all the time. The vet said she had sleep apnea and was exhausted from waking herself up all the time.

Oh so they can.. has Lola been ok since huga??

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

Oh so they can.. has Lola been ok since huga??

She's a different dog :thumbsup:

Lola's was quite a sudden change in behaviour - I didn't actually consider that it was her soft palate that was the problem. She was slowing down on walks, sleeping a lot and was just generally lethargic. So I took her to the vet, they did some bloods, said it was mostly likely her soft palate, but wouldn't know for sure until they had a proper look. Sure enough, the vet said it was one of the worst he's ever seen and the most he's ever removed. He said her throat looks like a funnel. She'd never really had a problem before that, but they said with age, the muscles and tendons slacken and more of the soft palate was blocking her throat.

That's handy to know that huga, thanks for sharing:)

I will keep an eye on Renae, and if she gets worse will have her checked out again, as she's been slowing down heaps on walks too.. but then she's getting older too. She used to be quite active in her younger years when she was a show dog (and a Mother) ;-)

She could have a soft palate problem or she could be doing what's called a *reverse sneeze*If you do a search in the health section, you will find plenty of information on the topic.

Both of our dogs went through this just recently - it's a bit of a shock when it first happens as you the dog is choking, but it's since passed.

Edited by poochmad