Christmas Time.....on The Hunt For A Lens

redangel

Ok Christmas is just around the corner and I believe Ive been a good girl :wave: and without a partner to dispute this fact i think I deserve a new lens. I have gone to the city and got my quotes from the main players retail...Camera house, Teds & Michaels. For half the price there are options like digital rev and such online options. For the cheaper price...is it a gamble? Are you getting the same product? Im not flushed with cash but I would rather pay more or wait rather than take a chance with my purchase. Am I being overly fussy??? I do like to deal with people direct, if only for someone to hear my opinion should something go wrong.

I won't pay more for the same lens because I can walk into a brick & mortar store.

I usually order everything from new york, but check prices with the big Aussie players, too.

I think if you get a lens from somewhere DOLers have had good luck with, you'll be good.

So, most importantly, what lens are you getting?

I did look at US stores...I understand that if it is under 800...duty isnt paid at border ...but not 100% sure. Nikkor 105mm 2.8.( Depending on price I was thinking of upgrading my 70-200mm for the 70-300mm vrII.) Was quoted $2300 for both in a walk in store. Primarily though I really want to 105mm....I thought about the 60mm, but having tinkered with a friends 105mm I like it a lot.

I did look at US stores...I understand that if it is under 800...duty isnt paid at border ...but not 100% sure. Nikkor 105mm 2.8.( Depending on price I was thinking of upgrading my 70-200mm for the 70-300mm vrII.) Was quoted $2300 for both in a walk in store. Primarily though I really want to 105mm....I thought about the 60mm, but having tinkered with a friends 105mm I like it a lot.

It's $1 000au before AU customs will charge you duty.

I too get a lot from the USA, especially with our dollar being so strong against the Greenback.

Try Cameta Camera at eBay. They are actually a real camera shop in New York. They've never let me down. Here's their link: http://stores.ebay.com.au/Cameta-Camera?_rdc=1

Alternatively I just got my E-5 from an Australian online store based in South Australia called Camerastore.com.au. Great price for a great camera. So they maybe worth checking out if you haven't already. Here's their link: http://camerastore.com.au/

Good luck :D

Edited by DMA

I too get a lot from the USA, especially with our dollar being so strong against the Greenback.

Try Cameta Camera at eBay. They are actually a real camera shop in New York. They've never let me down. Here's their link: http://stores.ebay.com.au/Cameta-Camera?_rdc=1

Alternatively I just got my E-5 from an Australian online store based in South Australia called Camerastore.com.au. Great price for a great camera. So they maybe worth checking out if you haven't already. Here's their link: http://camerastore.com.au/

Good luck :kissbetter:

I just brought a lens for around $1500 out of Hong Kong (would have to check web site name) and didn't pay any duty?

They had the best tracking site, I could check up all the way along and it would show me up to date details where my lens was.

Good luck :thumbsup:

I just brought a lens for around $1500 out of Hong Kong (would have to check web site name) and didn't pay any duty?

They had the best tracking site, I could check up all the way along and it would show me up to date details where my lens was.

sheesh :kissbetter: keep it quiet. You're lucky. The shop probably didn't place the full amount on the customs declaration :laugh: Either that or someone at AU customs didn't check it, which wouldn't surprise me, as they only check about 10% of items (well they used to several years ago).

Here's the link to the AU Customs website dealing with importing items via the post, ie from places like eBay: http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page5653.asp

Good luck :thumbsup:

sheesh :kissbetter: keep it quiet. You're lucky. The shop probably didn't place the full amount on the customs declaration :laugh: Either that or someone at AU customs didn't check it, which wouldn't surprise me, as they only check about 10% of items (well they used to several years ago).

Here's the link to the AU Customs website dealing with importing items via the post, ie from places like eBay: http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page5653.asp

Thanks for the tip, but you just reminded me I had to email them to send me the correct invoice because the one that came with the camera was a lesser amount. Now I know why :hug:

Thanks for the tip, but you just reminded me I had to email them to send me the correct invoice because the one that came with the camera was a lesser amount. Now I know why :kissbetter:

Ah you see :thumbsup:

It wasn't an eBay shop called chinaarts by any chance? I've bought from them in the past, a Sigma lens & an Olympus extension tube, & they did the same thing with the invoice (although both were well under the $1 000 mark so it didn't matter).

Gee looks like Ive been sourcing in the wrong place! Thank you all for your info & links. I have found an online store called digital rev...has anyone purchased from them?

There's another thread asking the same question. Here's the link: http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=207222

Beware that they import their stuff directly from Hong Kong even though they have a "shop" in Melbourne. So the business about AU customs hitting you with duties, if the item is worth more than $1 000, still applies.

Thanks for the tip, but you just reminded me I had to email them to send me the correct invoice because the one that came with the camera was a lesser amount. Now I know why :thumbsup:

Ah you see :D

It wasn't an eBay shop called chinaarts by any chance? I've bought from them in the past, a Sigma lens & an Olympus extension tube, & they did the same thing with the invoice (although both were well under the $1 000 mark so it didn't matter).

It was from Digital World International, and the item was over $1500. I would highly recommend them and don't have a problem with items coming from Hong Kong. The service is so quick and the tracking system second to none, I could check constantly and know where my parcel was.

Unlike Australia post who I have just sent a parcel to Canada with and the tracking still says parcel was sent from post office. As if I didnt know that I want to know where it is now two weeks later.

Edited by mish13

Thanks for the tip, but you just reminded me I had to email them to send me the correct invoice because the one that came with the camera was a lesser amount. Now I know why :D

Ah you see :party:

It was from Digital World International, and the item was over $1500. I would highly recommend them and don't have a problem with items coming from Hong Kong. The service is so quick and the tracking system second to none, I could check constantly and know where my parcel was.

Unlike Australia post who I have just sent a parcel to Canada with and the tracking still says parcel was sent from post office. As if I didnt know that I want to know where it is now two weeks later.

Oh DWI? Yeah I've heard of them. They sell a lot on eBay. Good reputation. It's just they don't have much Olympus gear so I've never bought from them.

As for Australia Post... well you said it :thumbsup:

I have bought from both DWI and Digitalrev - was pretty happy with both. It did take digitalrev a week to send my items though - i got them express through DHL so I thought them not having them sent to me for a week was a bit strange. I did buy a lot of things though so maybe they were waiting on something that wasn't in stock?

DWI was good too - the items arrived without a problem though their postage was a whole lot more than a lot of other places.