Online Puppy Sales

The Ark

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgive me if I'm being particularly obtuse but the answer is evading me at present - what is the RSPCA's motivation for introducing laws that would restrict/criminalise the practices of registered breeders? Is it somehow financial? A misdirected sense of ethics?

And to add fuel to the fire (slightly OT) I just watched an excellent episode of Cesar Millan where he worked with a rescue organisation which was getting breeding dogs out of a couple of puppy farms to rehabilitate and rehome. :thumbsup:

There was quite a strong whiff of extremism about that particular rescue organisation, however the episode made quite a clear distinction (in one short section anyway) between puppy farmers who treat their breeding dogs as a commodity, and ethical, registered breeders who raise their puppies in their homes and keep their adult dogs as members of their families. They briefly interviewed a registered breeder of German Shepherds and showed her puppies romping in the grass and being cuddled by lots of people in contrast to the footage of the farmed dogs in their stinking cages.

:D

Forgive me if I'm being particularly obtuse but the answer is evading me at present - what is the RSPCA's motivation for introducing laws that would restrict/criminalise the practices of registered breeders? Is it somehow financial? A misdirected sense of ethics?

Probably the latter. They work at one coalface and breeders work at another coalface. The big pile of rubble between the coalfaces is all the dogs that they have to put to death.

Dog breeders used to be despised by some RSPCA workers, and I doubt if much has changed, simply because they bred some of the dogs that inhabit the planet.

The fact that most breeders only have the pups for 8 short weeks, and then pet owners have the dogs for the rest of the time, seems to be an inconvenient fact.

It is hard to target pet owners as a group.

Pet owners are a target group for donations, and it wouldn't be nice if you attacked the people who donate money to you.

It is much easier to target dog breeders.

Most dog breeders gave up donating anything to the RSPCA years ago so I guess not much will change. :dancingelephant:

Souff