Injuries Caused By Dogs

Dee_al

Well I have had the usual scratches from rough play.

Fat lip from head butts etc and a chipped tooth.

The biggest one was from a labrador that I was holding for someone else and he suddenly lunged behind me to try to run over to the bins :laugh: and propmtly wrenched my shoulder which has resulted in:

Shoulder surgery to cut off end of collar bone, followed by elbow and wrist surgery to fix the damaged nerve.

Now need another elbow surgery to repair a torn tendon from the latest devil pup hitting the end of long lead so much at speed.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The tops of my feet are covered in scars. Comes of beeing barefoot on the beach with ball obsessed dogs.

Puncture marks all over my arms and legs from breaking up fights over the years.

Teeth have been loosened from headbutting dogs.

six stitches in my hand when my darling Bozley grabbed it during a fight with Giselle and shook the hell out of it before he reaised it was me. It was opened down to the bone and took six months to get full movement back in it.

I realise this would have been very painful, but the picture it created

poor OH was so angry, problem was I saw it happen and saw that 'oOOOOooh' dufus look in rotties face just before he launched. I was trying to hard to hold in the laughter it was painful ... OH didnt see the funny side for quite a few months I can tell you.

I looked like an inept self-harmer when James was teething - had the most wonderful scratches down the inside of my forearms. And I'm constantly covered in bruises.

That's the worst of it for me. Although I'm sure owning a dog has done my knee in. I've had all sorts of troubles and pain with it starting right after he came home.

Hmmm. We've been clawed by our dogs by accident and had ouchy scrapes from their teeth when they're excited and taking a treat - no skin breakages though. Probably the worst accident we've had is that tonight OH tried to break a rock-hard strip of liver jerky with his hands and stabbed himself in the hand with the jerky :D There appears to be a bruise.

ETA: does gas poisoning caused by toxic dog farts count? I gave Hoover crispy pig lickables today and oh dear ... :laugh: Reminds me of why Elbie was never allowed to eat more than one pig's ear in his life.

Edited by koalathebear

Gosh that one about the cat and your neck is scary! Was the damage done with claw or tooth? My mum's cat attacks us at night time, I would avoid staying there solely for that reason (if there weren't enough others...) He's fine during the day, just a normal cat, but come night when he seems to know you can't see him (or if you have both hands full) he will leap at your feet and ankles and make them bleed :s Crazy animal.

Her claw, she was scared and just jumped up and took off, i bled a lot and was bloody sorry, but looked worse than it actually was.

Bella is one of the best cats i have owned :laugh: she has never attacked me or anyone, loves people and the only time I have been hurt by her was this once.

Cats can do serious damage and I would never keep one that attacked people

My mum rescued this cat - his mother was a prized Siamese female, his father was a feral cat. The owners dumped all of the kittens as soon as they were born. He is a very strange cat in that, he's very needy, but he's also not trusting of people the way our other cats have been, like you can't pick him up, and taking him in the car requires serious preparation, he just becomes a wild animal.

But yes, the scars on my ankles reveal the fact that I am now all to aware of how effectively cats can cause damage and pain.

Only ouchies from one of my boys is when he is excited he loves to open his mouth in a big smile and launch himself directly at your nose....he is yet to realise that this is not a good thing to do and it actually really hurts :laugh:

From the over-exctied boxer I walk during the week I have had my thumb nail ripped off as he lunged at a fence and my thumb got caught in the leash and many many scratches and briuses.

Chipped tooth from leaping dog while I was picking up poo.

Puncture wound scars on hands and stomach from getting in the middle of things.

Scratched Eyeball from over enthusiastic greeting with a dog that liked to use his feet first. I was actually lucky that I didn't have more serious eye injury. I left it till I couldn't open or close my eye without intense pain before I saw the Dr. He said I was not far from creating a rather nasty ulceration to the eye.

Fang holes from handling literally feral kittens. Fang holes from handling baby possum.

I think I have gotten off lightly!

HUGE scratches from playing feral with the cats.

I am only 20 but I am covered in scars, from both dogs and horses!

Carl digging on my face in the morning because I must've mumbled in my sleep and rolled over. THAT woke me up! He also launches at my nose with teeth when we're playing - if it's rough play he goes all out. Mouthes my hands, STANDS ON MY HAIR :@ I've been run over during his zoomies.

Multiple scars on my hands/legs/neck from breaking up fights at work (dog shelter). I also take on the abused dogs as my projects, as well as groom the more difficult one, so getting bitten isn't a question of if, but when. :rofl:

I've had my nose and jaw slammed into more times than I can count. Bloody noses and split lips galore. :D

Dislocated 2 fingers going through a gate when Zero saw another dog (back in the dog aggressive days), a great number of scratches, bruises and burns (from leashes being pulled) and a few blisters to top it off.

Teeth hitting fingernails kills like hell, even more when they hit the quick and your whole nail falls off (thanks to miss Danika :rofl:)

Many bruises and scratches and bite from vet nursing day, to numerous to mention all.

HUge bruises down my legs when 40kg Male Dobe decided to climb on me while swimming.

Damaged cruciate ligament from my female Dobe doing an over zealous recall

Black eye that was around my whole eye from the eyebrow down coupled with nerve damage and concussion

Broken toe, broken finger

I was working on the computer in the dark, stood up from the computer to walk out to the kitchen not realising there was a dog right next to my feet, I tripped and fell hard landing on my elbow..ouch...one broken arm, six weeks off work. Various other injuries but that was the worst by far.

Having no idea how to clip a dog's nails, I sat Hugo in my lap and put my arms around him and leaned over to clip them. So basically I hugged Hugo from behind and tried to clip his nails while he was against my chest. Big mistake. He thrashed his head back and crack! Smacked me in the chin with his skull. Afterward while I sat there in a daze, he also clawed his way out of my arms with very sharp, freshly cut nails and soon I looked like I've been self-harming. :rofl:

I am currently nursing a very swollen ankle which hurts like hell however I cannot really blame my puppy...although she did play a part in it.

I was coming back from the pool and instead of walking around the garden, down to the patio, I jumped across the herb/vegie garden, like I usually do, and proceeded to jump down the retaining wall but as I did, my puppy decided to do the same thing and to avoid jumping on her I had to change direction, mid air, which in turn lead me to come down on my ankle quite hard.

I didnt even know an ankle could bend sideways at a 90 degree angle!!

1 x broken wrist - walking friends' dog when two unrestrained dogs lept out of the back of a ute and attacked her. In the melee I fell over, landing on my wrist.

1 x broken ankle - knocked over by friend's dog who took my knees clean out from under me. (:rofl: FHRP)

From my own dogs? Got smacked in the head by the Whippet before I learned to avoid it. Nothing really from the others.

I've had a coffee cup whacked into my front teeth by a Dane...was chipped.

I've had a Blood nose from a Dane when teaching him to sit close for obedience work where I would spit food to him - he thought I was spitting food when I was simply bending forward and we collided.

I've had a Dane unexpectantly take off after cats in a front yard on a walk and I went flying into a colour bond fence and badly sprained my fingers.

This is my favourite, this is my OH who got a tooth puncture wound to the eyebrow when playing with a Dane on his hands and knees and turned his head at the wrong moment...

160909001.jpg

Edited by sas

When rottie was young OH got out of bed once sans undies ... rottie looks up and goes OOH SAUSAGE *CHOMP* I wake up to OH screaming and clutching himself trying to chase the dog around the bedroom

:rofl: :D :rofl: Thanks for the coffee splurk!

Surprisingly nothing, having always had two dogs at a time since I was born. Probably got knocked over once or twice as a kid, but that's about it.

Although I did get a big smack in the head from Kyojin when we first brought him home. I have since learned that he is an absolute bobble head and to always hold my head back when cuddling him.