Exciting Dog Documentary

jacqui835

We have an extraordinary relationship with dogs - closer than with any other animal on the planet. But what makes the bond between us so special? Research into dogs is gaining momentum, and scientists are investigating them like never before. In this documentary we meet Betsy, reputedly the world's most intelligent dog, and compare her incredible abilities to those of children. Man's best friend has recently gone one step further - helping us identify genes responsible for causing human diseases.

Didn't quite catch the full ad for it, but they were talking about things dogs could do and how they understand us better than even chimps can - looks exciting.

"We have an extraordinary relationship with dogs - closer than with any other animal on the planet. But what makes the bond between us so special?

Research into dogs is gaining momentum, and scientists are investigating them like never before. From the latest fossil evidence, to the sequencing of the canine genome, to cognitive experiments, dogs are fast turning into the new chimps as a window into understanding ourselves.

Where does this relationship come from? In Siberia, a unique breeding experiment reveals the astonishing secret of how dogs evolved from wolves. Swedish scientists demonstrate how the human/dog bond is controlled by a powerful hormone also responsible for bonding mothers to their babies.

Why are dogs so good at reading our emotions? Horizon meets Betsy, reputedly the world's most intelligent dog, and compares her incredible abilities to those of children. Man's best friend has recently gone one step further - helping us identify genes responsible for causing human diseases."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00pssgh

Thanks Jacqui!

My biggest interest,so an absolute must watch for me.

I'm fully prepared to believe we've got a lot very wrong where dogs are concerned,and have a lot to answer for.

Mine too! I'm always amazed at what my dog seems to have picked up without me making any effort to teach him, and the way he's able to grasp ' situations' - so I'm really looking forward to this program.

Thanks Jacqui!

My biggest interest,so an absolute must watch for me.

I'm fully prepared to believe we've got a lot very wrong where dogs are concerned,and have a lot to answer for.

Mine too! I'm always amazed at what my dog seems to have picked up without me making any effort to teach him, and the way he's able to grasp ' situations' - so I'm really looking forward to this program.

That kind of of dog changes the way you see things pretty fast. Problem is your ruined for any thing else and no one gets quite where you are coming from till they also meet your dog.I'm sure people think I make up stories some time,so I'm realy looking forward to this show.

What a fascinating area of research that would be.

Edited by moosmum