Cost Of Rebuilding A Dog Trailer?

MissMaddy

I've found an older dog trailer very cheap.

It needs some work, possibly not a full rebuild, but I want to try and figure out if it's worth it, especially if I decided to completely rebuild it.

As far as I can tell it needs new lights, a repaint, probably redoing inside, the addition of a tackbox, ventilation added (it has whirly birds but not great ventilation in the sides). It's a 3 berth.

We spend probably $1000 -$1500 completely rebuilding mine - we didn't keep anything from the original trailer but used it as a template. That was using all quite heavy duty materials as I wanted it made tough! The 'skin' of mine is colourbond, which is much cheaper than aluminium but unfortunately alot heavier too - probably the only thing I'd do differently if I was doing it again.

It's a 3 berth, so that's the one thing I'd like different (would prefer a 4 berth if possible). It's only $300 but is the older style round trailer. I'd also be thinking new double doors to have wire inside the main doors. I'd also want it pretty tough, between the 3 I currently have and any possible dogs I have in the future, I think tough is important! Is colour bond more expensive than aluminium?

I think we paid $300 for my original trailer too

Have a think about the colourbond - its certainly cheaper but it adds quite a bit of weight.

We bought the doors pre-made - one of the trailer manufacturers gave us the details of the place in Melb that makes them. They are one peice with the solid and wire doors, locks & keys etc ready to go.

Actually, if you email me I can run you through exactly what materials he used and where to get the doors etc if you like?