Rehoming An Unpapered Am Staff

Leema

Long story short, I have a friend of a friend who, due to illness, is likely to be going into aged care (or even passing away) within the next year.

Friend-of-a-friend has a lovely American Staffordshire, unpapered. Apparently this dog was rescued from a fighting scheme. :hug:

Regardless, this is a lovely dog and I would be willing and able to rehome and foster her. However, I am very concerned that this dog may be declared a pit bull, with a) implications for me rehoming her and b) consequences anyone who may choose to adopt the dog.

I would like to help this dog, but I need to consider what's best for all people involved. There are no family members which can take this dog on.

What would you do? Any suggestions?

I am in South Australia.

I doubt she is chipped. She is not registered or desexed.

(I would of course do this before rehoming.)

My plan was to chip/register/desex (vet records) as a Boxer x Staffy.

Could work :hug:

Hopefully someone with experience in that area will read this and be able to help.

I just recall a few older threads where dogs have been previously chipped or registered as a non pit bull and they haven't had any issues. I would think if the vet says she is Boxer x staffy then she is.

1) Get it in writting, a stat dec would be best, that she is giving ownership the dog to you.

2) If you do take posession of the dog, have her scanned to see if she is chipped. If she's already chipped, see if the vet can check the CAR to see what breed she is identified as.

If not, great!

3) get her microchipped at the time of desexing, (less stress from the injection if she is out for the surgery anyway) and specify the breed x that she might be.

4) Re-home her responsibly and legally

I doubt she is chipped. She is not registered or desexed.

(I would of course do this before rehoming.)

My plan was to chip/register/desex (vet records) as a Boxer x Staffy.

And that would be lying - you know she is an unpapered Amstaff and to chip her as anything but is knowingly making a false record.

It won't matter what she is chipped as. If a ranger decides she looks like a pitbull you (or whoever her owner is) are the one that has to prove otherwise. The up shot of which is a very lengthy and traumatic experience without many bright lights at the end of the tunnel for all concerned.

Can you rehome her into the ACT or NT? I know that is a long way off but she will be safer - and her new owner will be safer - if all can be above board and up front.