Rangers And Micro Chips

Gretel

Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on a bit of a problem. A dog I bred and his half brother came back to me for rehoming months ago. They were both chipped and lifetime registered. All paperwork went with the dogs to their new home. The previous owners had signed the change of ownership details on the forms.

The old owner has received a call from the ranger telling him that he is going to be receiving fines for the dogs not being cleaned up after and being off lead. According to the ranger the dogs are still in the previous owner's name. The new owner says they transferred the dogs to their name as soon as they got them.

Apparently the dogs were offlead in an on lead area when the ranger sprung them and the new owner's girlfriend says she gave her old address (trying to avoid the fine). If she has given a false address how has the ranger tracked them to the previous owner? Do the rangers carry a scanner?

Obviously the previous owner is not too happy with this situation! Any suggestions on what we can do please?

Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on a bit of a problem. A dog I bred and his half brother came back to me for rehoming months ago. They were both chipped and lifetime registered. All paperwork went with the dogs to their new home. The previous owners had signed the change of ownership details on the forms.

The old owner has received a call from the ranger telling him that he is going to be receiving fines for the dogs not being cleaned up after and being off lead. According to the ranger the dogs are still in the previous owner's name. The new owner says they transferred the dogs to their name as soon as they got them. Apparently the dogs were offlead in an on lead area when the ranger sprung them and the new owner's girlfriend says she gave her old address (trying to avoid the fine). If she has given a false address how has the ranger tracked them to the previous owner? Do the rangers carry a scanner?

Obviously the previous owner is not too happy with this situation! Any suggestions on what we can do please?

There's the problem right there.

It is up to the current owner of any dog that they sell or giveaway to make sure that they have the new owners complete a C3A form and that they submitt it to their council for processing. They can be fined for failing to do so.

ETA: as an example.... xxx breeds a pup and sells it to me, it's upto xxx to make sure that the change of ownership is completed and sent to council and that the new owner has recieved their paperwork... if I then decide to sell the pup that xxx bred, it's upto me to get the new owner to complete a change of ownership ( within 14 days ) and for me to send it off to council

Edited by ReadySetGo

appeal to the better nature of the ranger and hope to dog that they will not fine the previous owner for failing to change the chip over.

A stat dec to say when and where the dogs were rehomed to may be accepted by the ranger, but then again it's also an admission of guilt and failing to do what was required.

The current owners should be fined for the offleash offence and the littering.

I know of one person who has been fined for failing to do a change of ownership, so I wouldn't be surprised to hear if the council in question makes an example out of the old owner and they cop the lot.